Remembering Charles Durning (Doc Hopper) 1923-2012

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I didn't know he was also a WWII hero. That makes him all the more interesting. D-Day AND the Battle of the Bulge? What a life!
I didn't know he was a WWII hero either. I thought celebrities didn't have to work for WWII.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I didn't know he was a WWII hero either. I thought celebrities didn't have to work for WWII.
He was obviously a war hero before he became an actor. I guess he became interested in acting later after the war.
There was an article about him in the paper today. No mention of his work on The Muppet Movie, but it was good to see something about him anyway.
R.I.P.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
He was obviously a war hero before he became an actor. I guess he became interested in acting later after the war.
There was an article about him in the paper today. No mention of his work on The Muppet Movie, but it was good to see something about him anyway.
R.I.P.
Yup. It sure is. I was surprised when the paper didn't mention his Muppet work.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I didn't know he was the hostage negotiator in Dog Day Afternoon! That's an excellent film and he did a good job trying to put up with those crazy bank robbers. Plus he definitely had Charley down in Death of a Salesman very well. He was an excellent actor and will be missed.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
R.I.P.
Some people do acting while in the war.

Another real-life war hero, who was also an actor, Neville Brand, did some acting work for the army in WW2, for training and propaganda films and such, and after he finished his tour of duty, he continued acting on stage and in films.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Oddly I was wacthing Elmo saves Christmas for the first time while I was reading the news on the internet (Multitasking).....its sad to see him go (I was hoping for another Muppet cameo some time) but it was moving to read how full a life he had.....not just as an actor....I guess it makes you think how we all need to live our life to its fullest...whether we serve our country...or obsessively chase down a frog so he can be a mascot for a company that serves his kind as food (not as uncommon as you think )

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Some people do acting while in the war.

Another real-life war hero, who was also an actor, Neville Brand, did some acting work for the army in WW2, for training and propaganda films and such, and after he finished his tour of duty, he continued acting on stage and in films.
Very true, and Jimmy Stewart even served in the Air force.