Remembering Caroll Spinney (December 26, 1933-December 8, 2019)

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
Mr Spinney,

For 50 years your creations have taught and been loved by millions around the world.
You’ve helped inspired many such as myself to become a puppeteer
You were a kind and loving individual who will never be forgotten and your legacy will live on through Matt Vogel and Eric Jacobson

Thank You Big Bird
And Rest in Peace

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Mr Spinney,

For 50 years your creations have taught and been loved by millions around the world.
You’ve helped inspired many such as myself to become a puppeteer
You were a kind and loving individual who will never be forgotten and your legacy will live on through Matt Vogel and Eric Jacobson

Thank You Big Bird
And Rest in Peace
And thank you Oscar.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I remember the very first Sesame episode, watching on my parents' old black and white tv. Like millions of other kids after me, the Street was a special place to be, and Caroll had a huge part in making it that way.
Over the years I was blessed to meet a number of Sesame people, including Carroll twice. You can't find a more dear sweet man.
The last time I saw him, for a screening of "I Am Big Bird", he had Oscar with him. During the questions and answers that came after, I was in the front row, and Oscar's eyes were zeroed in on me.
Afterward I got to meet him and Oscar.
Oscar was his usual warm self.
"Hey, Shaggy! You need a haircut!"
Me:"Oscar, I was around when you were orange."
Oscar's eyes get real big: "Man, you're OLD!!!"
Got several autographs and a hug from Carroll.

Thank you Carroll. You gave me 50 years of Sunny Days.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
Just got back from the gym. This has hit me and the world really hard. We lost a great man. Caroll taught us our ABC's and showed us how to be kind to everyone and how to deal with death. The world has lost a kind and gentle human. In a world filled with such evil and negativity it was great to have someone like Caroll to make us smile, laugh and cry. Thank you Caroll for making me the person I am today. Thanks to you I always have a positive outlook and have inspired me to follow a career in helping people through social work. Heaven just gained a beautiful and sweet person. Thank you Caroll and God Bless you and your family. :wisdom::grouchy:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I know a lot of you are upset over today's news, and I share your grief.
But we're only on this earth for a flicker. Even if we live to be Caroll's age, our time here is so short.
But it's just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. And we'll be reunited with Carroll, Jim, Jerry, Richard, and everyone who went before.
So it's goodbye for now, but not forever.
Peace from one Fuzzy Brian

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
I know a lot of you are upset over today's news, and I share your grief.
But we're only on this earth for a flicker. Even if we live to be Caroll's age, our time here is so short.
But it's just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. And we'll be reunited with Carroll, Jim, Jerry, Richard, and everyone who went before.
So it's goodbye for now, but not forever.
Peace from one Fuzzy Brian
Thanks for this beautiful comment Brian! It just made this guy get some tears :smile:

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
Part of my childhood died inside of me....

He will always be the Big Bird to me.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
It’s the same day as we lost Juice Wrld a rapper at age 21 who died from a seizure

Juice Wrld was 4 years older than me. And to be honest that hits me harder the Carolls death. Now I’m not really a fan of Juice Wrld, I’ve never listened to his music except for Hide which I adore but it’s the fact that it has shown me life is so short and unlike Mr Spinney he was just beginning his career that he will never see grow and he won’t get to enjoy unlike Caroll who got to live life to the fullest.

Both are very sad for very different reasons

cjd874

Reaction score
As a young child, Big Bird and Oscar were two of my closest friends whom I saw every day at 4:00 pm after school. My mom would turn on the TV and I'd watch Sesame Street from the time I was age 3 until age 7. I also frequently watched the films Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, Big Bird in China, Follow That Bird, and Don't Eat the Pictures on my VHS tapes and got more exposure to Big Bird, Oscar, and the rest of the SS cast. A few years later, I learned about Caroll Spinney and how his performances as these two Muppets helped shape the lives of millions of people. Then as a teenager I read The Wisdom of Big Bird and gained even more insight into his life.

Today I am saddened by this loss, but I am thankful for Caroll's existence and his impact on the world as we know it today. I want to thank Caroll Spinney for his unparalleled dedication, irrepressible enthusiasm, and lifelong ability to portray the child in all of us.

We will always love you, Caroll. RIP.