Remembering Bob McGrath (June 13, 1932-December 4, 2022)

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
You know, for several minutes before I discovered the news about Bob's death, his vocals in "The Sun Shines" was playing in my head.

He, along with Loretta Young (who played Susan), were the two original cast members when the show debuted in 1969. Hard to imagine that of the 1970s/early-1980s cast lineup, only five actors/actresses - Loretta Young, Roscoe Orman (Gordon), Sonia Manzano (Maria), Buffy Sainte-Marie (Buffy) and Linda Bove (Linda) - remain.

Sad loss in the world of children's entertainment. He will be missed by many children and adults.
Yeah, I agree. Seems like we're losing a lot of cast members, but it seems like SW saw this coming. That could be why we're just down to Alan, Chris and Nina as the only adult humans on the show. (Well, and Frank and Dave, not Oz and Rudman, but Nina's brother and brother-in-law, but they haven't been seen all that much yet. Of course I haven't seen the season 53 eps yet.) Anyway, I got the news of Bob's passing on the radio this morning. I'll have to watch an episode with him as a tribute.

Jared DiCarlo

Reaction score
Man, this really sucks. We’ll never be able to hear that beautiful singing voice again.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Yes, I agree. He (and Olivia) had the best singing voice out of all the cast members. It's a pity we'll never hear his singing again except on YouTube at best.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
We have seen Sesame Workshop's response to Bob McGrath's death, but Many of Sesame Street family members have spoken out about the death I am going to try to reach as much as I can to understand it all...

First off, I have Roscoe Orman, who played Gordon on the show, and he spoked to CNN This morning about the passing. Whether or not this counts as an appearance is debatable... Video: Former 'Sesame Street' castmate remembers Bob McGrath | CNN Business

Alan Muraoka, who played Alan on the show wrote on Facebook of the passing of Bob... Facebook.

Twitter has a variety of remembrance, but I will try to get what I can...

First is Holly Robinson Peete, daughter of the ORIGINAL Gordon from the first few seasons of the show and she wrote a touching tribute to Bob McGrath and how she originally met him on the show... Holly Robinson Peete 💃🏾♍ on Twitter: "I first met Bob McGrath in 1969 when he & my Dad Matt starred on Sesame Street. He was the nicest, sweetest, kindest man. My brother and I got to be in this scene with him… Rest in peace , Bob McGrath. You were so loved all over the world Say hello to my pops 💚💛💔😢😢😢 https://t.co/eELdtuzYfM" / Twitter

Sonia Manzano, who played Maria on the show wrote a short and touching tribute to her dear friend... Sonia Manzano on Twitter: "Bob was kind and generous all the years I knew him. RIP my friend." / Twitter

Muppet Performer Stephanie D'Abruzzo, wrote a touching tribute to Bob McGrath in a series of tweets... Stephanie D'Abruzzo on Twitter: "Bob McGrath was always there. On the TV during my childhood, on the Street when I arrived, on the Macy's float at Thanksgiving, at everyone's shows and concerts, at all the Jim Henson Legacy events. Bob was always there. 1/" / Twitter

Even the Muppets themselves have spoken about the passing of Bob McGrath...

From Kermit the Frog's official Twitter page...
Kermit the Frog on Twitter: "There was no one quite like my friend Bob McGrath. His infectious joy and remarkable voice could make every day sunnier. I’ll always remember the wonderful times we shared on Sesame Street. Let’s all sing a song for Bob today." / Twitter

To Big Bird's official Twitter page... Big Bird on Twitter: "Thank you for always being my friend, Bob. I love you. ❤ https://t.co/vNpUYil0Ut" / Twitter

To Cookie Monster's official Twitter page... Cookie Monster on Twitter: "Me eating an apple today for me friend Bob. 🍎❤ https://t.co/m52GqmY28m" / Twitter

To even Oscar the Grouch's official Twitter page... Oscar the Grouch on Twitter: "Bob was one of the nicest guys I ever knew. He was my perfect opposite.💚 https://t.co/gN6Z0haBE1" / Twitter

That's all I have found for now, but sooner or later it would be interesting to see how Sesame Street pays tribute to him.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Just hearing now that apparently Bob had a stroke regarding his death.

I can see why his family wanted to be private about that, but what a shame.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Just hearing now that apparently Bob had a stroke regarding his death.

I can see why his family wanted to be private about that, but what a shame.
Wow, that is kind of sad and sudden indeed. Still I am glad that he was surrounded by his family during this time.

Anyway forgive me for adding on to this post, but to anyone who want to see it: Elmo's official Twitter Page made a mention to Bob's passing today... Elmo on Twitter: "Elmo will miss Bob very much. But Elmo is learning that we all can be happy that we had a chance to be with him, and to know him, and to love him a lot when he was here. Elmo's friend Bob taught us that. ❤ https://t.co/ekrflhxYRQ" / Twitter

BertsNose

Reaction score
To truly understand just what a golden voice Bob had, I recommend people find and listen to the song "The Boy From Indiana", the ending refrain will probably give you the same feels that listening to "Goodbye, Goodbye" sung by :smirk: elicits.
Man, this really sucks. We’ll never be able to hear that beautiful singing voice again.
I know what you mean. So sad. My mom didn't even know he could sing but I guess she had never heard much of his songs. I hadn't either before falling down the rabbit hole on youtube after hearing about his unfortunate passing. Obviously, I know "People In the Neighborhood" because the Celebrity version was included on "Put Down the Duckie" which I had as a kid. I didn't know Bob was so much more than that though. He really had an amazing life! Turns out he was famous in Japan before Sesame Street was even thought of. I don't know how many other people know this though. Maybe some do, but it was news to me. This is from one of his Japanese albums.