Redesigned Muppets for "The Muppets" movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've always felt since MTI that these days the Muppets are often TOO well made, TOO perfect.

I've been saying that about :stick_out_tongue: and :frown: for years now... I kind of liked how Bert's "chin" sinks into his sweater in the Conversations with Bert virals, but other than that, I've not been thrilled with how they looked since the 90's. They really achieved perfection with those two puppets in the late 1980's.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
this sorta fits here and i already said it but i feel it must be said again

eric jacobsons fozzie has gotten spot on IMHO voice wise Kudos to him

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
In the "Green With Envy" trailer, is it just me, or does Gonzo cock one eyebrow up? Has he always been able to move them independently, or is that a new feature?

I'm also interested to see if Rizzo ever tilts his head upward at the neck, because the first time I ever noticed that was in Muppets Bohemian Rhapsody.

Alex
A seperate older Gonzo puppet was used for the eyebrow thing. He did it the most in Muppets Tonight, during Dancing with himself. But the new Gonzo design makes it much smoother and you don't have to watch jerky movements from the puppet to achieve it. Heck, Floyd was able to wink before, why not Gonzo?

And yes, Rizzo's new thing is copied from Pepe, the head tilting. He did it in the Muppets vs Lost, and Steve looked like he had a hard time controlling it.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
A seperate older Gonzo puppet was used for the eyebrow thing. He did it the most in Muppets Tonight, during Dancing with himself. But the new Gonzo design makes it much smoother and you don't have to watch jerky movements from the puppet to achieve it. Heck, Floyd was able to wink before, why not Gonzo?

And yes, Rizzo's new thing is copied from Pepe, the head tilting. He did it in the Muppets vs Lost, and Steve looked like he had a hard time controlling it.
yes! I REALLY like how Rizzo can cock his head up like Pepe now, idk it gives him MUCH more realism IMO to the puppet!
:busy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Gonzo has gone through so many changes, but I do like his look in the last film much better than this one. Here's a side-by-side comparison. After more inspection, many of these designs are little bit more watered-down than the stunningly beautiful puppet designs of the past. They still look good, but I stand by my statement that most of the new ones are B+ efforts at best. This is only from what I've seen. That could change after seeing the whole film on the big screen later this year. :wink:

dwmckim

Reaction score
My my my...little Camilla, how she's grown! (The actual Muppet chickens are starting to look like the huge things that Roger Langridge tended to draw!)

...and yeah i'm going to go slightly off-topic but i can't mention Camilla's look in the trailer without commenting on the puppeteering - is it Alice performing Camilla? She has this great knack of taking the characters that tend to be more props/accessories (like Foo-Foo) and making them hilarious to watch.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really need to rewatch the trailers closely... but other than Gonzo (which was improved since the last redesign) the only thing I don't dig is weird Overbite Fozzie.

On the plus side, the poster's seen the best poser Kermit in years.

Frogster

Reaction score
I agree, some of them just don't look the greatest. Gonzo, Sam and Animal are the most notable. And Fozzie's overbite kind of suggests he's lacking intelligence, and I think squaring up his face may give him more assertiveness as Kermit's #2 (i.e. lining the mouth up). I know he looked the same in MTM but I think it was the fact that Oz performed him that most people overlooked it. Also, Floyd's eyes seem somewhat smaller, and his bottom lip is kinda big, like he's gotten really old lol. And, I think Zoot's lips frown a bit too much. Crazy Harry's eyes could use a bit of separation.

I will say though, I like Rowlf, Janice, Scooter and Lew Zealand. Scooter's new look reminds me of the same face who would knock on the door and say "20 seconds to curtain."

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree, some of them just don't look the greatest. Gonzo, Sam and Animal are the most notable. And Fozzie's overbite kind of suggests he's lacking intelligence, and I think squaring up his face may give him more assertiveness as Kermit's #2 (i.e. lining the mouth up). I know he looked the same in MTM but I think it was the fact that Oz performed him that most people overlooked it.
They've been flip flopping on exactly how to build Fozzie in the last few productions

He had the over bite in VMX, then he lost it after that project, only to get the overbite again now. I prefer how he looked (as far as modern era productions go) in MTI... but I have a feeling next rebuild his overbite and rounder head will be gone... until the production after that. :batty:

dmoss

Reaction score
I'm thinking that Fozzie looks like the new Steiff plush that was released recently...they've done something to the new one, that I just can't put my finger on... :embarrassed: