Redesigned Muppets for "The Muppets" movie

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This is a designated space to discuss the latest Muppet puppet redesigns for "The Muppets" movie. What are your thoughts? Keep in mind that we're discussing the architecture of the puppet building only and this is not a criticism of Disney, the Muppets or the content of the film.

So far Gonzo's head shape and Piggy's snout seem to be getting a few critical comments while Thog and Janice appear to be in top form. What are your thoughts? :flirt::concern:

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Gonzo's new look is growing on my...but Piggy has always been a hard one since who look is constantly changing

Beauregard

Reaction score
I've always felt since MTI that these days the Muppets are often TOO well made, TOO perfect. There's none of the "live in" feel that you get from some of the old ones. I can see why that is, since now people have so much more access to them...and who wants to see felt wearing away or missing fur patches...But (as pointed out before) Crazy Harry for example should have some good old grit and dirt on him!

Slackbot

Reaction score
I want to see some more footage of Gonzo. I didn't care for his new "Muppet Babies" look until I saw the cooking show, and then I positively hated it. To me he looked like he'd had a stroke. I hope they've fixed that.

Nick22

Reaction score
All of EM looks great! Especially Janice! I sort of agree with frogpuppeteer about Gonzo. His new look is almost growing on me.

Scooterfan5

Reaction score
All of EM looks great! Especially Janice! I sort of agree with frogpuppeteer about Gonzo. His new look is almost growing on me.
I like how for Janice and Scooter they are going for a more classic look. The Electric Mayhem looks awesome!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think the Gonzo puppet has definitely improved. I'm not saying I really like his new design (REALLY swelled up nose), but they have improved on it. Look at him, Pepe and Fozzie at D23; it looks like Dave really had an issue moving the lower jaw. The new puppet looks a bit easier to manipulate.

Dearth

Reaction score
In the "Green With Envy" trailer, is it just me, or does Gonzo cock one eyebrow up? Has he always been able to move them independently, or is that a new feature?

I'm also interested to see if Rizzo ever tilts his head upward at the neck, because the first time I ever noticed that was in Muppets Bohemian Rhapsody.

Alex

dwmckim

Reaction score
Gonzo was able to move one eyelid at a time previously before the redesign but it's still a relatively recent tweak (you can see the last Gonzo puppet before the redesign do it in the Muppets.com clips - check out the Never Had a Lesson's - and in Letters to Santa - check the Christmas rush line)

I remember during one live talk show interview around the time of Muppets From Space, around the end of the interview, Gonzo's eyelids got stuck with one permanently raised and i'm thinking the funny way he looked may have been what inspired them to be able to give him that ability (on purpose)

Speaking of Gonzo, i do feel that he's become a prime example of Beauregard referred to in talking about how his look had got to a point where it was too "clean" and "simplified" - again going back to MFS-era Gonzo. I think the redesign was an attempt to fix that but in the process they got the proportions of his features wrong which gives him the odd look he has now.

Animal is steadily improving. He had some really odd looking puppets there for awhile.