Real Fozzie Bear Fans

Saironi

Reaction score
During the Ethel Merman episode, Fozzie tells the audience he only wants to see "REAL Fozzie Bear fans in the audience" before turning his back on them, and you can see the audience is slightly confused as what to do. He turns around, only to see that Statler and Waldorf are the only people left; he does manage to make them laugh with an "old fools' home" insult, but he just says "Ahh, s'too late".

I may be reading too much into it, but could Statler and Waldorf actually enjoy his acts? They have made positive observations about his act in the past, although only after Fozzie has left the stage, and they call him "The Best Comedy Man in the business" (although Waldorf might have been trying to be sarcastic) and enjoyed one of his acts so much that they finish his jokes.

Anyone care to debate?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
They probablly don't enjoy his acts, but they enjoy heckling his.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
See, the thing about Statler and Waldorf is that, really, everyone can enjoy The Muppet Show... even if it's just two old guys who enjoy hating it.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think S&W like Fozzie, and I think they really look forward to his acts so they can heckle him; but, I bet it's like the "little sister" syndrome.

You know what that is, right?

It's where you can say whatever you want about your little sister, but don't let someone else say it or BAM! you'll clock 'em one in the nose.

I bet if someone else began trashing Fozzie, S&W would probably handle it by trashing the person, then go back to heckling their favorite TMS act.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Maybe statler and Waldorf are too old to both getting up and moving.But then again, they have got the energy to do Vaudeville!!! I agree, they love to Hate Fozzie.

BEAR

Reaction score
I think they just enjoy one-uping Fozzie. They heckle him, but they always do it with another joke, as opposed to simply saying nasty things like "you stink" or "get off the stage" a la Showtime at the Apollo. The role of Statler and Waldorf goes back to the Restoration Theatre period when people in the audience would heckle the performers in order to be somewhat in the spotlight themselves. They would be competing for attention with the real performers that are on stage for sport.

JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
Agreed

The Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin flick "The Stooge" comes to mind here;
There are scenes where this team gets heckled by the theatre balcony...
:smile:

What I've always noticed is that OZ voices Fozzie like a 'hyperactive BERT'...

..and voices 'Yoda' like a disgruntled 'GROVER'....

..but for Miss Piggy?...heh, no other voice can compare!!

Frogster

Reaction score
What made Fozzie work so well back in the old days was how Frank made him just vounerable enough to still love even though his jokes weren't all that good. He was so lovable because when you saw Fozzie, you thought, when he stood by Kermit and the rest of the gang, that's the kinda best friend I'd like to have.

No one else can do the job like you, Mr. Oz.

JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
Let's Hear It for FOZZIE!

Here, Here!

Like you said Frogster, Fozzie IS - 'a best friend'....

I'll betcha... that if you were to ask Frank himself as to
which of his favorite Muppets IS - - Fozzie's it!

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I think S&W like Fozzie, and I think they really look forward to his acts so they can heckle him; but, I bet it's like the "little sister" syndrome.

You know what that is, right?

It's where you can say whatever you want about your little sister, but don't let someone else say it or BAM! you'll clock 'em one in the nose.

I bet if someone else began trashing Fozzie, S&W would probably handle it by trashing the person, then go back to heckling their favorite TMS act.
That would be pretty darn funny to see Statler and Waldorf start wailing on someone.

I won't be able to stop thinking about that one!