R.I.P. David Langston Smyrl (Mr. Handford)

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I just heard about this, really sad. He had a kind of sweet,grandfatherly vibe to him and a charm that just seemed to work well no matter what he was on, whether it was Sesame Street, The Cosby Show or Law and Order.

It's a shame he's gone,i've been watching him since I was about eight, and I really hoped to meet him someday. And while I am a bit sad that this part of my childhood is gone, his death has only made me more determined to meet some of my longtime heroes before they're gone.

My deepest condolences to his many friends, family,co stars, students and the millions of lives he has touched.

RIP Mr. Handford.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is eerie, because I was just thinking about him the other day . . . not necessarily as Mr. Handford, but because I was thinking about other projects I've seen other SST castmembers in, and I remembered he was the narrator of a pair of animated shorts Ralph Bakshi did for Cartoon Network in the 90s (that he later disowned, because CN apparently heavily edited them for broadcast, against his wishes).

While I didn't watch much SST in the 90s (wasn't too big a fan of the ATC era), I do remember Mr. Handford, mainly because he was already there by the time I was born, and like Pig's laundry mentioned, he had a grandfatherly vibe yet a charm that made him such a unique and wonderful character actor. I too remember seeing him on THE COSBY SHOW from time to time, but I also know he was involved behind the scenes as well. I believe he was also a poet and a writer.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
but I also know he was involved behind the scenes as well. I believe he was also a poet and a writer.
I know he wrote a few songs for Sesame Street in the late 90s. He also, believe it or not, had a rap album sometime during his time on SST.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Great interview! And even though it was just an excerpt, I actually liked what I heard from that rap/storytelling album. I remember those old Turner Classic Movie bumpers (I never watched the channel, but commercials for them would be on Cartoon Network frequently, since both are Turner properties), but I wasn't aware it was him - he could have had a sweet gig like Don Fontaine, and narrate movie trailers. Some of those little comedy excerpts were really funny too, like the one about his brother not speaking till he was nine - that cracked me up.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I was unaware that Leonard Jackson, the original Mr. Handford, passed on just a little over two years ago.