R.I.P. David Langston Smyrl (Mr. Handford)

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I found this article on The Hollywood Reporter:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/david-smyrl-dead-mr-handford-878269
Oh, here are those two Ralph Bakshi shorts that he narrated . . . though for some reason, this particular print of the first cartoon omit his credit during the end titles for some reason; I have them on tape from Cartoon Cartoon Weekend in 1997, and it retain his credit.
These are really strange (and disturbing). I'm surprised they got away with a pedophile joke, an attempted suicide and a mention of breastfeeding all in one cartoon.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
These are really strange (and disturbing).
Well, again, this is Ralph Bakshi, lol.
I'm surprised they got away with a pedophile joke, an attempted suicide and a mention of breastfeeding all in one cartoon.
And these are the edited versions . . . apparently the original versions that Bakshi submitted had even more questionable content that they edited out, prompting him to disown both shorts and vow to never work with Cartoon Network again.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Well, again, this is Ralph Bakshi, lol.

And these are the edited versions . . . apparently the original versions that Bakshi submitted had even more questionable content that they edited out, prompting him to disown both shorts and vow to never work with Cartoon Network again.
Ah, I see. So that's what caused him to disown the network.
Either way, David Smyrl has a great voice.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Either way, David Smyrl has a great voice.
I agree; as I said, listening to him narrate those cartoons, and also hearing his voice in those TCM promos, I really think he could have done movie trailers and such, I think that could have been a real sweet gig for him.

Reading the article and reading about how much he enjoyed being on the show and working with the kids and such, I'm kind of curious as to the reason behind his departure.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Reading the article and reading about how much he enjoyed being on the show and working with the kids and such, I'm kind of curious as to the reason behind his departure.
I've been really curious about that as well. I also wonder why Leonard Jackson left the role.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I was unaware that Leonard Jackson, the original Mr. Handford, passed on just a little over two years ago.
Oh, so we lost both Mr. Hanford's? I heard about David's passing, but I didn't know about Leonard's. Sad that everyone who previously owned Hooper's store before Alan has passed on. Oh, well. R.I.P. Mr. Smyrl.

I remember I once started working on a fanfic that I never even really worked on that had Mr. Handford injuring himself after slipping and falling because of a pipe that leaked water all over the floor, and because of his age and the seriousness of his injury, he was going to have to retire again, thus selling the store to Alan.
You really should finish that story sometime, Snowth. They never really did 'splain on the show what happened to Mr. Hanford. They just happened to say that Alan was the new owner, so it would be nice to hear about what really happened there.

Oops, sorry. I meant to post this video:
Thanks for sharing, but if we're talking about David here, we might want to watch this one as a tribute:

That's the one I watched the other day when I first heard the news.