Questions about anything

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Not sure if the answer is out there but...

I have heard that Dr. Seuss was initially reluctant to allow his books to be adapted into animated specials, and then about eleven Dr. Seuss specials would be produced. Anybody know if he chose what books would be adapted or if the studios wanted to adapt them? I'm guessing he had a multi-special contract with DePatie-Freling, as that studio did most of the Seuss specials.

And after Dr. Seuss died, the only new Dr. Seuss special that came out was Daisy Head Maisey, a book that was not even published until after he died (and I think the special premiered before the book did). Dr. Seuss had worked on all of his specials beyond just approving the adaptations, but was there some rule that only Dr. Seuss could write the specials or whatever, or some question as to whether another could adapt the books to specials? There were plenty of books that could have been adapted into specials, and while we barely got any new Dr. Seuss specials after he died, we did get all those movie adaptations as well as television series based on Dr. Seuss characters.

I guess it's also possible that television specials were becoming less common in the 1990s (and there was a long gap between The Grinch Grinches the Cat in the Hat and The Butter Battle Book, so maybe he was already done with specials and made one exception when The Butter Battle Book was made).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I recently saw Pee-wee's Big Adventure for the first time. Is it known anywhere (besides to those who worked on the film) who dubbed Pee-wee's voice during the movie sequence ("paging Mr. Herman")? I didn't notice any voice credits and last I checked the unreliable Internet Movie Database doesn't even say.

I am thinking it is the same voice used when the line was said in an episode of Family Guy (though I have not watched it lately). Is that the same voice actor or the same audio clip? I must say, I had known about that part for years without hearing the line, even though the voice (or a similar enough one) was used in a homage on Family Guy, I was not expecting it to sound like that (I was expecting a deeper voice).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
On the Sirius channel 80s on 8, between songs they often have an announcement that Mark Goodman can’t be in on that day. Not exactly a new thing, but lately I feel like I hear these skits all the time.

it makes me wonder - does Mark Goodman DJ on 80s on 8? Is there some significance to these bits?

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
I’m a regular listener of 80s on 8, and I can confirm that Mark (as well as Alan Hunter and Nina Blackwood) are the channel’s regular DJs. They also host a countdown every week where they count down the top 40 songs of that week in an arbitrarily-chosen year of the 80s.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I’m a regular listener of 80s on 8, and I can confirm that Mark (as well as Alan Hunter and Nina Blackwood) are the channel’s regular DJs. They also host a countdown every week where they count down the top 40 songs of that week in an arbitrarily-chosen year of the 80s.
I listen to that every weekend.