Question for those who know sheet music...

Convincing John

Reaction score
Howdy everyone.

I would greatly appreciate the help of anyone on here who could answer a musical question for me. It would be simple to anyone who knows the basics of sheet music or plays an instrument, but I want to get it just right and triple check my research.

So here's the thing. Remember the "five tones" from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"? Yeah. Well, I need to find out what they would look like on a musical staff. I'm trying to match them exactly to the five tuba notes from the mothership (at the 25 second mark in the clip). I don't need any of that complicated "Flight of the Bumblebee"-type stuff that comes afterward or the glass-shattering note before it. Just the five notes.

What would they look like on a musical staff? Do they match the ones on the light board played at the beginning of the clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUcOaGawIW0

I think it almost matches this, but I want to know for sure. The last note (in the movie) is a...whole note, right? They play it longer. If there are any "rests" or other things on the staff I should know about, let me know please.

Thanks,

Convincing John