Puppetry Blog Favouritism

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I wrote this in my first post, but I will ask again - can you cite specific examples of what you're talking about? I don't want to speak for others, but I really believe that people here who blog would be happy to give some attention to these shows that you're saying aren't being acknowledged. Please share.

Reaction score
pladypus said:
I have been on many puppetry news blogs that list the same shows all the time and I am pretty sure that these are their friends....if this is your criteria, then you are not a puppetry news blog that services the community, rather you are a news blog servicing your own interests and what YOU deem to be the puppetry community. Blatant. Favouritism.
If you are not happy with what's out there, perhaps you should stop complaining and start your own puppet blog.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I wrote this in my first post, but I will ask again - can you cite specific examples of what you're talking about? I don't want to speak for others, but I really believe that people here who blog would be happy to give some attention to these shows that you're saying aren't being acknowledged. Please share.
Hey Buck, since you're asking, I've got an example. PuppetVision posted once about Big Magic Book, and really it wasn't even about the show. The post was entitled "Jedi Puppetry". You can take a look here. I did notice that you did graciously add a link to the Big Magic Book Production Blog in the "Other Puppetry Blogs" section of the website. I'm sure the folks over at Big Magic Book appreciate it.

I just found it curious that a children's television show pilot in production, with a cast almost entirely of puppets and a larger budget than most puppet productions out there, was hardly mentioned on PuppetVision, the place for news on "puppetry in film, video, and digital media".

Hey, maybe you just haven't had the time in the past few months, or you feel that Big Magic Book doesn't really interest you or that it would bore your readers. Maybe I'm the only one that really noticed. But I think that it still may qualify as a "specific" example.

I know personally I've emailed Project Puppet news to PuppetVision that never was posted. I just figured The Glorified Sock Puppet Contest didn't fit within the "video puppetry" requirement.

Any thoughts?

(Boy, I must be feeling cantankerous, today!)

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Beazel, I'm sending you a private email regarding this to address what you specifically mentioned, but in general I did fall really far behind with keeping on top of stuff over the summer because I was moving around and usually only had limited internet access. For example, a colleague in Isreal sent me all kinds of Isreali puppetry ads that people would probably love to see, but I just haven't had time to upload them to Youtube or another site and right now they are just sitting on my laptop until I have time to get to them.

I did miss the Sock Search, but to be fair just about everyone else writing a puppetry blog caught it and I have covered Project Puppet (which I'm a big fan of!) in various forms on a lot of the sites I maintain. Here's a few examples:

http://www.puppetbuilding.com/index.php/2006/09/new-pattern-from-project-puppet/
http://puppetvision.blogspot.com/2006/03/project-puppet-blog.html
http://puppetvision.blogspot.com/2005/04/puppet-projectcom.html
http://www.bear-town.com/backstage/puppetbldg_resources_pg2.htm

As other people have mentioned, blogging isn't what any of us do for a living. I know spend 14 or 15 hours a week dealing with the couple of blogs I manage and I'm increasingly stressed for time. I'm sure it's similar for other people. That's why I say "the more the merrier" with puppet blogs because it's impossible for any one site to cover everything. The more people out there writing about puppetry, the more puppetry gets written about.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Hey, Buck. I apologize for my sarcastic tone in my previous post. I felt the exclusion was intentional and not just an oversight. My mistake.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
No problem. Since it's come up, if ever someone writes me about something for PuppetVision and I don't post it, it's never intended to be a personal slight. More than likely it's just a time thing.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I can't find it in the dictionary (just checked), but then I'm living in Mexico.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
MGov said:
Is "disinclude" a real word?
I think that's why God created the word "exclude", but then that's probably for another thread. :smile:

pladypus

Reaction score
Nothing that is said is to be intended towards anyone in particular. It is just a general discussion and I wanted to see how everyone stands on this issue. Now, if you need specific examples, I am not going to give any since I know some people on this forum and I do not want to single them out in any way. As someone who is interested in working with puppets, however, I wanted to see how new shows are promoted and through my research, this is what I discovered. Some puppet shows are given more advertising on these so called "puppet blogs" - Are they particularly amazing? Not really. I have even seen some shows who post up regularly are lacking in content and talent. Has the owner of the blog not updated for a while? If not, then it isn't really news - and if they have updated for a while, it is the exact same shows they are advertising. So I have come to the conclusion that yes, some (not all) of these blogs are advertising shows based on favouritism.
And in response to starting a blog myself? I am a puppeteer, not a blogger, and I wanted to see the avenues I could take in regards to advertising and the what the puppet community offers.
Don't feel in any way slighted, these are just my observations.