Puppet-in-Progress: From the foam up

Slackbot

Reaction score
Kinda "Night of the Living Dead Fraggles," huh?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I got my floats, and I figured out how to remove the post: straighten the end of the wire holding it in with needlenose pliers. They do look like they will be useful. As for sanding and painting, is there a way to do that without special equipment? Sandpaper and spray paint?
I prefer using a Dremel and air brush because they offer more control and a smoother finish, but you can absolutely sand the eyes/floats with a fine sand paper and then paint them with spray paint. Best to use a spray paint that is intended for plastics, but sanding the eyes will make it much easier for the paint to adhere to the plastic.

It's also a good idea to wear a dust mask, because you don't want to be inhaling plastic dust (the dust mask doesn't protect you against fumes from spray paint, for that you need a proper respirator!).

Slackbot

Reaction score
Hands. I used to hate, hate, hate making them. Now they're routine, and I sew on 'em while waiting for web pages to load and during video game cutscenes.

I developed my own pattern for the skin, and sewing them is an exercise in pure masochism compared to the simple front-and-back patterns from Project Puppet, but I do like the result!

crazy chris

Reaction score
u make fantastic hands kim!! and i love the joints you put in the elbows!!

cc

kumakami

Reaction score
Slackbot: I think I'm in love...with your hands....your puppet hands :laugh:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Kumakami: thanks!

Muppetlab: The rods are removable. See the orange sock-shaped thing at the bottom of the first pic of my previous post? That's the sleeve that the top of the rod will fit into. You can see the sleeve sandwiched in the middle of the foam hand on the left. I glue it in underneath the wire frame.