Puppet-in-Progress: From the foam up

charlietheowl

Reaction score
So was the first time you used the styrofoam and/or contact cement for the eyes? Wouldn't have the eyes been off on the other Fraggles you made?

Slackbot

Reaction score
I did use styrofoam with both Janken and Shonky. Their eyelids aren't wonderful, but they didn't get messed up like this one's did. I don't know why. But, anyway, I'm looking for another way to handle the problem.

It's a good thing I bought a big bag of eyes, otherwise I'd be upset over wasting these two.

Animal31

Reaction score
Have you tried hot glue? My gun has a low setting on it and I never had any issues as of yet.....

Slackbot

Reaction score
Gorilla glue and another adhesive I tried last night ate holes in the foam. It was like I'd dripped acid on it. I'll try hot glue next. I don't like how thick and drippy it is, but sometimes it is the right tool for the job.

Animal31

Reaction score
On the low setting it's not drippy at all, try it in a spiral pattern from the inside out. you can always add more around the edge afterwards...

I've never tried making the eyes like this before, but I have done something similar with noses and never had an issue...

Slackbot

Reaction score
I don't have a low setting. Mine is a cheapie I got over 20 years ago. The glue doesn't get molten and dribble around (although if I set it down a little will ooze out the tip) so I don't think it has a "very hot" setting.

My main issue is that hot glue is thick and builds up easily, plus you have to stick things together right then, before it cools, and once you've stuck 'em there's no going back. I prefer contact cement, which at least gives you time to think.

It would be so simple if I could only find 2" white plastic spheres. Why the heck don't those exist? Argh.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I've looked at them--this morning, in fact!--and been tempted, but then I see all the complaints against them. Better Business Bureau gives them a F rating.

Still, those are tempting. You say they make good eyes?

Animal31

Reaction score
They really do, and unfortunately, they seem to be the only game in town. Trust me, I looked around. It took me 7 weeks to get my order once, I was told it was a lack of communication by the warehouse before they shut down for vacation. But as I said, there have been other complaints.

Amazon also sells white matte 60mm bulbs from time to time, I've grabbed those on occasion as well and they work out pretty good depending on the puppet...

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You can't really use contact cement or hot glue on Styrofoam ("Styrofoam" is just a brand name, what you're using is actually called Extruded Polystyrene or EPS Foam) or any kind of polystyrene because it will melt (sometimes low temp hot glue will sort of work). Certain adhesives are designed to work on Polystyrene; I personally use Weldbond, but 3M77 or any Styrofoam glue should do the trick.

If you sand the back, edges and post of the half dome eyes Weldbond should hold everything together nicely (just give it lots of time to dry). I would suggest trying to find Polystyrene balls with a smoother surface because they will be much, much easier to glue anything to.

EVA foam balls - which are often sold as yellow foam practice golf balls - would be a good Polystyrene substitute if you can find them in the right size. You can use almost any adhesive on them (hot glue, contact cement, Weldbond, etc.).

2" plastic spheres are available online if you do some Googling (not sure about cost though). They are often clear, but you just have to sand them and paint them. Or why not use a 2" fishing float?