Prog Rock (Roger Waters and more)

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
That, I'm afraid, I wouldn't have picked up. I love Genesis, natch, but I'm not really well-versed in their album art. Now, if you were to show me, say, the steel armadillo from Tarkus, I'd have recognized it in a nanosecond. Ah, geekdom. :smile:

Something else, something that will be of interest to Muppet fans and prog fans both. Jessica Max Stein just did a really sweet interview with Jerry Nelson.

During the TMS years in London, Jerry and Richard Hunt went to see Yes in concert one night, and they got to go backstage to meet the band. Richard also became really good friends with Steve Howe and his wife - he'd invite the Howes over to parties at his place, and vice versa.

The same article mentions that Rick Wakeman would sometimes duck down behind his keyboard and stick of a Rowlf puppet, so it looked like Rowlf was playing the keyboard.

Kiki

Reaction score
That, I'm afraid, I wouldn't have picked up. I love Genesis, natch, but I'm not really well-versed in their album art. Now, if you were to show me, say, the steel armadillo from Tarkus, I'd have recognized it in a nanosecond. Ah, geekdom.

Something else, something that will be of interest to Muppet fans and prog fans both. Jessica Max Stein just did a really sweet interview with Jerry Nelson.

During the TMS years in London, Jerry and Richard Hunt went to see Yes in concert one night, and they got to go backstage to meet the band. Richard also became really good friends with Steve Howe and his wife - he'd invite the Howes over to parties at his place, and vice versa.

The same article mentions that Rick Wakeman would sometimes duck down behind his keyboard and stick of a Rowlf puppet, so it looked like Rowlf was playing the keyboard.
Wow, that is... awesome. Awesomer than awesome. :smile: Reading that has actually made my day, thanks MN. =D *Goes into fangirl mode* GUUUUHHHH! <3

Yeah, I thought that I might as well show you guys, just in case anyone recognized the fox. :smile: It was part of my studio arts outcome, though I'm looking at the fairly-average photo of it and I'm looking where I can make improvements (who's ever heard of a satisfied artist? :wink: Well, actually, I have on a number of occasions, but...), but hey- arts' all about making mistakes and learning, right? Instead of directly copying the whole album cover and design, I've made the concept and style my own (as opposed to the original), so I guess it's a tribute, if you like. It's funny that you should mention Tarkus, because my brother just recently came across my record of it and he seems to be quite taken by the album cover, ad he's considering illustrating it himself. That'll be interesting. ;D
On the subject of Genesis, I mentioned in another thread a while ago that I was going to see America, Chicago and Peter Frampton in concert (yeah, all on the same bill, cool- huh? ;D), which I'm utterly psyched about, but I heard through the grapevine that Peter Gabriel will be there, too! I've been a good girl and done some homework on it, and it sounds promising. =D

Yorick

Reaction score
Very cool artwork! And I knew the fox from the album cover even though I don't know the album very well - We all have a different experience here, ha. (Interesting how you worked the whale in there, too! Hope they don't eat him!).

That is a great triple bill, indeed, and then the super amazing bonus of Peter Gabriel? WHOA! ENJOY! Throw him a Fox mask and dress if you like.

Is Peter Cetera still with Chicago? I don't care what anybody says, he's cool with me!:super:

Kiki

Reaction score
Very cool artwork! And I knew the fox from the album cover even though I don't know the album very well - We all have a different experience here, ha. (Interesting how you worked the whale in there, too! Hope they don't eat him!).

That is a great triple bill, indeed, and then the super amazing bonus of Peter Gabriel? WHOA! ENJOY! Throw him a Fox mask and dress if you like.

Is Peter Cetera still with Chicago? I don't care what anybody says, he's cool with me!:super:
Peter Cetera is awesome, man! =D But unfortantely I don't think he's still with them. D: Still, I'm so psyched. It's gonna be a really star-studded night, eh? xD I was excited enough about America, Chicago and Frampton, but then I heard that Gabriel was tagging along, and apparently he's gonna be there for just the one night- the same night I'm going! :big_grin:

Yeah, I'm somewhere in the first five rows, so I'm sure I'd be able to get this attention somehow. xD *Grabs red dress and Fox head :3*

I'm so very glad you like the painting. :smile: Thank you very much for the lovely comments. :3 Yeah, I hope the whale escapes somehow! Good thing the fox is in the ocean!

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Peter Cetera? He's not been with Chicago for a while - dropped out sometime back in the '80s, I think.

And you're seeing them with America and Peter Frampton? Super cool - I saw Frampton in concert a couple of years back. It was a triple bill with a few other acts - can't remember who at the moment. And Peter Gabriel? Wow...have a good time!

You guys have probably heard about Ringo Starr's 70th birthday - they marked it with a huge concert with the All-Starr Band at Radio City this week. When it was time for them to do "With a Little Help from My Friends," about 50 of Ringo's friends, including Greg Lake, came out on stage to sing along. :excited:

I wasn't at the show, of course, but I heard all about it on the radio afterwards. Got a thrill to hear that Greg was there...and then there was the big encore when Paul McCartney came out on stage. The DJ remarked that if Radio City was still standing after that, it was a miracle of architecture. :smile:

Kiki

Reaction score
Peter Cetera? He's not been with Chicago for a while - dropped out sometime back in the '80s, I think.

And you're seeing them with America and Peter Frampton? Super cool - I saw Frampton in concert a couple of years back. It was a triple bill with a few other acts - can't remember who at the moment. And Peter Gabriel? Wow...have a good time!

You guys have probably heard about Ringo Starr's 70th birthday - they marked it with a huge concert with the All-Starr Band at Radio City this week. When it was time for them to do "With a Little Help from My Friends," about 50 of Ringo's friends, including Greg Lake, came out on stage to sing along. :excited:

I wasn't at the show, of course, but I heard all about it on the radio afterwards. Got a thrill to hear that Greg was there...and then there was the big encore when Paul McCartney came out on stage. The DJ remarked that if Radio City was still standing after that, it was a miracle of architecture. :smile:

Wow, that's so cool MN- thanks for sharing! I had no idea this happened (though I saw Ringo's birthday cake the other day, it looked rather awesome), and Greg Lake tagging along? Whoa! What a thrill (...what a thrill! ;P)! I wish I could've been a fly on the wall- how cool would it be to attend such a concert?

Yupperrrrs! :3 Peter Frampton, America and Chicago! Those are the official ones, because as of late I've been hearing mixed things regarding Peter Gabriel's Australian tour. His stay here will be really brief, and I've heard he's doing a one-off concert with the peeps I'm seeing, I'm just not certain as to whether it's the cocnert I will be attending (though I've heard from many that it will be), so unfortunately I won't be able to make any promises it seems, but I got the tickets to see the main three ones, so I won't be heartbroken.
You saw Frampton, MN? That's so awesome! I probably should ask this, and you did see him a couple of years back, buuuut... how does he sound? x3

Yorick

Reaction score
You saw Frampton, MN? That's so awesome! I probably should ask this, and you did see him a couple of years back, buuuut... how does he sound? x3
I also saw Frampton, and not only did he still have it, (did all the hits as good as ever, and really rockin) but he had it, and then some! Played stuff from his new album at the time (5 years ago or less, I think) and one song at least had a really heavy riff thing going on that most don't associate with him. He rocked! :smile:

I saw America in the 90's and enjoyed them thoroughly as well! Opening act was the band Firefall http://www.firefall.com/ who I felt the same about! :smile:

Never saw Chicago or Peter Gabriel though!

Thanks for the Chicago, Lake, and Ringo update, MN!:big_grin:

Kiki

Reaction score
Thanks, Yorick! :smile:

Fireball! Oh my goodness, I know them! Not alarmingly well, but I know of some of their stuff! ^^ I looked up on Youtube some recent-ish America videos and they're still got it, it seems! :big_grin: That's awesome you got to see them. =) Yeah, Frampton is also releasing a new album soon (or maybe it's out), so I reckon he's going to be playing some of that along with his classics- he's such a cool guy! :smile:

Btw, this is totally out of the blue, but am I the only one who doesn't get why the band Supertramp are being labelled "prog"? I've listened to them for years, probably like many of you guys, but lately I've been coming across sites that call them progressive, when I've always thought of them as pop/rock. Hmmm...

Yorick

Reaction score
Btw, this is totally out of the blue, but am I the only one who doesn't get why the band Supertramp are being labelled "prog"? I've listened to them for years, probably like many of you guys, but lately I've been coming across sites that call them progressive, when I've always thought of them as pop/rock. Hmmm...
I agree -from the era when pop/rock didn't mean disposable!Maybe there's a prog era of them we don't know about. Either way, I always loved "The Logical Song" - perhaps it's those "deep thinker lyrics" that make people label them prog :smile:

PS http://www.pinkfloydz.com/ says Waters and Gilmour played a benefit gig together 2 days ago.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Yeah, "The Logical Song" was the first tune of theirs I heard - it was when Roger Hodgson was on tour with Ringo and the All-Starrs (the lineup that had Lake in it). I was on my feet, since they'd just done "Court of the Crimson King," and when Roger started playing, I remember thinking, "Hey, this song's pretty cool."

Well, prog's a pretty broad category - it means a lot of things to a lot of people. The only constant is that prog-rock bands all bring in influences and extra touches that you wouldn't find in standard rock and roll - the "deep thinker" lyrics that refer to literature, history and most any topic under the sun, a few lines of classical music here and there, that kind of thing.