Prog Rock (Roger Waters and more)

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
When I saw this thread title, my eyes lit up. :excited:

I've been a huge, huge ELP fan since I was about 11 or 12 years old. I think I actually first heard their music when I was six, but it took a few years for the bug to really bite. I've got all their albums - after giving it a lot of thought, I think my favorites are Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery and Black Moon.

I've not been able to see the whole band live, but I've seen some of them in concert with their own acts - when I was 15, I went to see Greg Lake when he was on tour with Ringo Starr and the All-Starr Band in 2001. It was so cool - I was over the moon when he, Howard Jones and Sheila E. did "Karn Evil 9." I've also seen Carl Palmer on tour with Asia a couple of times - once in Atlantic City, and again in Montclair. Wicked cool - and my family and I are going to go see Greg and Keith Emerson do a show out on Long Island next month.

I saw Yes when they were on a double bill with Asia last year - very way cool. I've seen the Moody Blues in concert quite a few times - probably for the 1st time when I was 12. I also like Genesis and Pink Floyd, and King Crimson.

With Genesis, in some cases I've noticed a split between the Peter Gabriel fans and the Phil Collins fans - some of Gabriel's fans like to turn up their noses at the Collins-era work, things like that.

Kiki

Reaction score
When I saw this thread title, my eyes lit up. :excited:

I've been a huge, huge ELP fan since I was about 11 or 12 years old. I think I actually first heard their music when I was six, but it took a few years for the bug to really bite. I've got all their albums - after giving it a lot of thought, I think my favorites are Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery and Black Moon.

I've not been able to see the whole band live, but I've seen some of them in concert with their own acts - when I was 15, I went to see Greg Lake when he was on tour with Ringo Starr and the All-Starr Band in 2001. It was so cool - I was over the moon when he, Howard Jones and Sheila E. did "Karn Evil 9." I've also seen Carl Palmer on tour with Asia a couple of times - once in Atlantic City, and again in Montclair. Wicked cool - and my family and I are going to go see Greg and Keith Emerson do a show out on Long Island next month.

I saw Yes when they were on a double bill with Asia last year - very way cool. I've seen the Moody Blues in concert quite a few times - probably for the 1st time when I was 12. I also like Genesis and Pink Floyd, and King Crimson.

With Genesis, in some cases I've noticed a split between the Peter Gabriel fans and the Phil Collins fans - some of Gabriel's fans like to turn up their noses at the Collins-era work, things like that.
MN! Hi! :3 Oh my goodness, long time no-- er, talk! :excited: My eyes lit up when I saw your post. :smile: I had no idea you liked prog (then again, I've never asked, heh).

I've noticed the same thing about Genesis. There appears to be a split between the two fans. To me, the album Duke was the last gasp for Genesis prog-wise and they became a bit more poppy (although I've always found Genesis to be a fairly pop-rock-prog band).

King Crimson are amazing. Sometime last year, I wrote a reflective piece for english on the first time I listened to In The Coart of the Crimson King (hey- I got an A+! x333), and album my mum introduced me to. That's quite awesome that you've seen the Moodies live- apparently they still sound great! And Yes? With Asia? heh, that's freakin' awesome. :3 Too awesome prog bands (and Steve Howe is in both of 'um- how convienient...).

I heard that ELP still play in the UK and were gonna tour in light of their 40th (?) anniversary, but Keith Emerson had a hand injury or something. That's still awesome that you've see Greg Lake (what a sonorous voice) and Carl Palmer and OOOH! You're gonna see Greg Lake and Keith Emerson next month? ! Lucky! Please tell us all about it afterwards!

That's awesome that you've grown up with ELP. My Dad halways has the "Works" triple-vinyl album, but I didn't discover them (properly) until early last-year, and I think it's safe to say that they are one of my favourite bands. My favourite albums are their self-titled debut, Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery. Pictures At An Exhibition is great, too.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I just came back from the show about half an hour ago.

It was wicked, wicked awesome. It was a full house in this theater in Westbury. Keith and Greg were in fine form, sounded really excellent. I'll give you guys a full report later on.

Yorick

Reaction score
Very cool! :big_grin: I know very little about the music at this point, but that doesn't diminish my interest and enthusiasm for your review - I'm looking forward to the details!

Kiki

Reaction score
^ Same here! :excited: Sounds like you had a ball, MN!

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
All right, here's more of a review - it was at the Theatre at Westbury. It's a fairly small theater, and in shape it looks like a flying saucer.

What Keith and Greg are doing this month is a mini-tour of the U.S. and Canada. It all started, Greg said at the start of the show, when they got together at Greg's home studio in London to work on some songwriting, and they did some reworked versions of some of ELP's stuff. And it all sounded really interesting, so they decided to take some of that on tour. It was all an experiment of sorts, he said.

But I think that experiment really worked. They were in top form, they did a lot of ELP stuff with some tunes by the Nice and King Crimson added in - and they did a few numbers that probably haven't been played in concert in a long time. A lot of tunes, like "Tarkus," sounded really different when reworked for piano and bass, but still very, very good. And when they did "Lucky Man..." wow. Awesome guitar work, and when Keith got going on the Moog solo, you could feel it reverberate in the pit of your stomach.

In between songs, they shared some stories with the audience - like how Keith got his nose broken during that one spinning piano stunt in California (ouch), or how Greg's longtime fondness for France inspired him to write "C'est la Vie," and of course, how "Lucky Man" came about. And just toward the end of the show, they had a short question-and-answer forum with the audience.

Like I said - wow.

Yorick

Reaction score
Excellent review - it definitley makes it clear how fantastic the show was, and I'm very glad you got to see it! :big_grin: I appreciate the details you provided, and the enthusiasm!

On a side note - only because I don't know when else this topic will come up, ha - I recently heard the song "C'est la Vie" 16 years after a friend quoting it when I was little - the thing is, he used to say, (and this is exactly what he used to say) "Who knows...who cares...about me...celery!" And I asked what that was, and he said something like, "It's a song, but it's in another language, so I'm just saying what it sounds like to me". But now I know that it wasn't in another language (other than the words "C'est la vie") unless he meant another song - but with one word off (since he said "about" instead of "for" ) it seems it must be this one. And now I know it's a very well done, poignant song, rather than my friend's acapella rendition that seemed like a novelty number :smile:
(those are good too, but still...)

Kiki

Reaction score
All right, here's more of a review - it was at the Theatre at Westbury. It's a fairly small theater, and in shape it looks like a flying saucer.

What Keith and Greg are doing this month is a mini-tour of the U.S. and Canada. It all started, Greg said at the start of the show, when they got together at Greg's home studio in London to work on some songwriting, and they did some reworked versions of some of ELP's stuff. And it all sounded really interesting, so they decided to take some of that on tour. It was all an experiment of sorts, he said.

But I think that experiment really worked. They were in top form, they did a lot of ELP stuff with some tunes by the Nice and King Crimson added in - and they did a few numbers that probably haven't been played in concert in a long time. A lot of tunes, like "Tarkus," sounded really different when reworked for piano and bass, but still very, very good. And when they did "Lucky Man..." wow. Awesome guitar work, and when Keith got going on the Moog solo, you could feel it reverberate in the pit of your stomach.

In between songs, they shared some stories with the audience - like how Keith got his nose broken during that one spinning piano stunt in California (ouch), or how Greg's longtime fondness for France inspired him to write "C'est la Vie," and of course, how "Lucky Man" came about. And just toward the end of the show, they had a short question-and-answer forum with the audience.

Like I said - wow.
Goodness me, sounds like you had an amazing time- what an experience. I'd *love* to see them live, though I doubt they'll be popping over to Australia any time soon *sigh*. Oh well, it seems that you had a ball! :smile: Great to hear that they played some King Crimson (who I cite as one of my all-time favourite bands, though the -somewhat short lived- lineup is my favourite. The ones with Greg Lake and Robert Frigg, among others :smile:) and Nice, too- good that they got back to their roots while altering their classics, too. "Lucky Man" is by far one of my all time favourite ELP songs. Thanks for sharing, MN. =)

On a side note - only because I don't know when else this topic will come up, ha - I recently heard the song "C'est la Vie" 16 years after a friend quoting it when I was little - the thing is, he used to say, (and this is exactly what he used to say) "Who knows...who cares...about me...celery!" And I asked what that was, and he said something like, "It's a song, but it's in another language, so I'm just saying what it sounds like to me". But now I know that it wasn't in another language (other than the words "C'est la vie") unless he meant another song - but with one word off (since he said "about" instead of "for" ) it seems it must be this one. And now I know it's a very well done, poignant song, rather than my friend's acapella rendition that seemed like a novelty number :smile:
(those are good too, but still...)
Awww, cute story, that's awesome.

Oh wow...
y'know, I've beenhearing about these rumors regarding a tour of The Wall for a number of months, and I really hope this happens. This website is very informative, and I have no idea how accurate is but I *do* reckon Roger will tour The Wall, I just hope he comes to Australia! (I don't see why he wouldn't, considering he came here for the "Dark Side..." tour back in '07) As for those rumors about him and david touring The Wall together I heard a while back... *snickers*... suuuuuuuure... x3

Thanks for the link! =)

Kiki

Reaction score
(BUMP)

I miss this thread! ;____;

Here's a treat for my fellow proghead friends. :smile: Virtual Tang for those who recognize the fox. 8DDD
(Shameless art promotion, I know. ><)