Preorder the Animal Muppet Replica

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
The first factory samplefor the nose was the wire armature, covered with a kind of non-porous foam, and then covered with a porous material to replicate the foamy-ness. Is this the way that I would have done it..? No. Does it look bad? No, in fact, it's better than I would have guessed. But I have passed along the message regarding "what the fans want." The problem is, I don't know if it's too late to impact it. Resin tough, is certainly not an option. Too costly, and too heavy.

I agree with you on this one Travis, I would stick to the foam covered material rather than just the foam. I would love the original way as you would and the fans. I just don't want to see it get hard and crumbly over the next ten, twenty years. I want to last for a really long time. I will be looking forward to that day when he is up for pre-order. I think it is great that you are making him the best he can be and I cannot wait to have him next to Kermit , Animal and Fozzie next year. I just hope Piggy won't be as hard since she is made ALL out of foam. :mad:

Davina

Reaction score
well, when it comes to Piggy.. i for one wouldn't mind if she were made the same way as kermit.. (fabric over foam).. while not 100% accurate.. if it comes to it, I'd rather make that change then have her rot over the next 5-10 years....

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I think Piggy, as with all the Muppets nowadays, is made very differently than she used to be. This pic seems to show that 'the pig' is now covered in a fleecey-type material. That's probably to make the existing puppets a bit more durable and to help them last longer.

http://www.whysanity.net/muppets/mfs/piggy.jpg

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Piggy is still flocked foam. But because she's flocked, she may be easier to manufacture since the underlying material isn't as important and is covered over.

:stick_out_tongue:

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I just hope she will not be hard to make as like our fellow friend Gonzo. Cannot wait to see how the outcome of his nose. I will be happy to get both when they come out. To have the whole gang in a group. Now that we know that Fozzie and Piggy are next...........OOPS!

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I don't know anything about puppet building so any chance you could explain "flocked foam"? Also, has Piggy always been made that way?

muppetperson

Reaction score
I just hope she will not be hard to make as like our fellow friend Gonzo. Cannot wait to see how the outcome of his nose. I will be happy to get both when they come out. To have the whole gang in a group. Now that we know that Fozzie and Piggy are next...........OOPS!
As I mentioned before, you will be dissappointed if you are expecting Piggy after Fozzie.She is not next.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I don't know anything about puppet building so any chance you could explain "flocked foam"? Also, has Piggy always been made that way?
Flocked foam is when you have a raw foam base, and then cover it to give it a velvety feel.It gets covered by covering the foam in glue and then putting a static charge through it, which attracts the flock(small fibers) to the glued foam and sets.Another way I have heard is instead of pre glueing the foam, the flock gets sprayed onto the foam like paint, but again, the finish is furry.Not sure if this has always been done that way.The earlier Piggys were hand carved and looked like it was sponge only.Later Piggys have been made from a mould.

Bear Man

Reaction score
Piggy is still flocked foam. But because she's flocked, she may be easier to manufacture since the underlying material isn't as important and is covered over.

:stick_out_tongue:
There's still going to be problems, though, in creating something that will be flexible and poseable. I guess they could go with a flocked vinyl...

I'd be more worried about the flock rubbing off...didn't they go through about 7 Piggy heads on one of the movies?