Pet Peeves

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know some of you have your peeves with microwaves, but I have one when it comes to microwaving certain items. Like Hot Pockets, for example: there's always a small part in the pocket that ends up coming out really crunchy; when it comes to hot sandwiches, there's always parts of the bread that comes out really hard for some reason; and don't even get me starting on how you can't seem to ever microwave popcorn without burning some of it.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I just don’t like eating hot pockets to begin with. It’s all processed filling and it’s incredibly hot when you take a bite, almost like lava.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And this is why whatever the instructions say on the box as far as cool-down time, I always let stuff cool off much longer than that.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Try having that **** land on your skin though, it’s even more painful.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Microwave popcorn is a mystery. A third of the kernels get burnt, a third don’t pop at all, and the edible third is usually oily.
You do much better at Christmastime, when stores are selling those popcorn tins. I’m working on one now.
Part is butter flavored, part is cheese flavored, but half is caramel corn. Personally I’d rather have more cheese. But you don’t have the mess of the microwave version.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They still make those? I haven't seen those since I was a kid!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Yes indeed. WalMart, Target, cVS, even supermarkets have them. Not a bad investment for five bucks.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
@fuzzygobo microwaving popcorn has always been frustrating. It’s so easy to burn the very bottom. Plus, honestly, the older I have gotten, the less I’m a fan of popcorn unless I’m just going to the movies or whatever. It’s really salty and the kernels get stuck in your teeth easily.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The kernels getting stuck in your teeth gets really annoying, I'll agree, but you know, there are other options that aren't so salty . . . but then you've got some really, really bland and tasteless popcorn.

Unless it's kettlecorn, which is pretty sweet.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Kettle corn is great too.
For years when I was younger, I always loved making my own popcorn.
One popper just took a tablespoon of oil, and popped very well. It had a clear dome top so you can see the kernels popping. When you’re done popping, you flip it over and the dome becomes a bowl.

Even better, one Christmas I got a hot air popper. Never got a burnt or unpopped kernel, and that thing lasted a good 20 years.

I don’t know if it still exists, but we tried Jiffy Pop a couple times. Popping corn on your stovetop. This big aluminum foil thing. 99% burnt.