Overused Songs in Movies or TV

D'Snowth

Reaction score
True enough, it just seems like of all of the songs The Beach Boys have released, that one in particular tends to be overused a bit.

I'm trying to remember, I think I heard "Sloope John B." in an episode of an 80s or 90s sitcom once, but I can't remember for sure.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I think it might have been in an episode of Full House, though I might just be imagining that because of how John Stamos used to be a "Beach Boy" in the early nineties after Mike Love fired everyone else.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That episode of Full House where the girls get up onstage to join in with "Barbara Ann"...pass me the bucket, I need to hurl.

I love the Beach Boys, but "Kokomo" got rubbed into the ground, too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've noticed a LOT of commercials lately have been using "The Hey Song" by Gary Glitter.

Well, not exactly the actual song itself, but the instantly recognizable underlying clapping the song's known for.

But I do remember a few years ago, Rooms 2 Go had a parody of the song for a deal they were advertising ("Buy the roooo-ooooom, HEY! Get the TV, buy the rooooo-oooooom, HEY! Get the TV").

AquaGGR

Reaction score
"Gonna Make You Sweat" by C+C Music Factory (AKA the "Everybody Dance Now" song) is overused constantly, mainly in family movies.

"Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor is also one. As well as "Holding Out for a Hero" by Bonnie Tyler. Music by the band Green Day is also used a lot.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm gonna say Glee ruined Don't Stop Believing. It's probably overused... but it's most overused in reference to that show. Even on Sesame Street with the parody, Jimmy Hart version.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I thought the song "Sing" by My Chemical Romance would become overused because of it's corny "never-stop-fighting" lyrics. The only show it's been used on is Glee.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Both SCOOBY-DOO and KANGAROO JACK used "Rock Da Juice" by The Dude in very similar ways: both movies have absurb and insane chase scenes toward the beginning, and both of those chase scenes use the song.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, but to me it's not just specific songs that are overused, but movie and TV show trailers are overusing the whole "depressing/ominous cover of a song taken out of context moaned out by breathy woman" schtick. And it's obnoxious.

The latest one is for that awful San Andreas movie using "California Dreaming" which was a depressing song already... all completely out of context because it has the word "California" in it. UGH! At least get the context of the songs right. You're not a make up commercial using a song about how looking pretty is dangerous or something... or a Cruiseline using a song about drugs.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The theme from PSYCHO seems to be thrown into some movies for scenes where a character is horrified by something they've just seen - but almost always played for laughs.