Overrated TV shows

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Lisa is one of my least favorite characters on the show because of this.
At least Robbie Sinclair seemed to struggle with it more. Dinosaurs strikes me as the kind of show where everyone is perfectly aware that right things are right and wrong things are wrong, but sometimes you just have to take your hits. It's been a long time since I've watched The Simpsons, but Robbie just seemed more three-dimensional (so to speak) than Lisa.

Drtooth

Reaction score
At least Robbie Sinclair seemed to struggle with it more. Dinosaurs strikes me as the kind of show where everyone is perfectly aware that right things are right and wrong things are wrong, but sometimes you just have to take your hits. It's been a long time since I've watched The Simpsons, but Robbie just seemed more three-dimensional (so to speak) than Lisa.
Well, Robbie actually got INTO trouble, not just whined about it. Thornoids? He took them. When he was set up against Wesayso and B.P. Richfield, he was in deep freaking trouble and somewhat intimidated. Lisa is little miss perfect, and I SWEAR the writers have an unnatural obsession with her. Other than a couple acts of hypocrisy (which the character needs MORE of) she's perfect vegan animal rights ultralefty Buddhist know it all and never wrong. And anytime anything happens to her, they even use THAT as a soap box.

I'm sorry, but I miss when Lisa was almost as bad as Bart, only smarter and waved it in his face. They BOTH liked prank calling Moe, they BOTH laughed at their dad's Donald Duck like fits of anger... they even played pranks, Lisa pretty much weaseling out with an I told you so. And when they needed to delve into her psyche, whether she was depressed for no reason (until she met Bleeding Gums), she fell in deep spiritual love with a substitue, only to be prone to depression after he left... stuff like that WORKED, because they used her as a character, and she had character developing storylines. The episodes where she DOES become Buddhist and Vegan are actually quite entertaining and thought provoking because they're character journeys. And even when she did manage to talk about subjects it was deep, but it didn't take up 90% of the season. I know any episode post season 11 to feature Lisa as a main character, I better stay away from or I'll be bored to tears.

That said, Dinosaurs went a LOT deeper into social commentary than the Simpsons ever did. Even the Simpsons couldn't have gotten away with Dinosaurs critique of war, politics, religion and even mocking Scientology. Dinosaurs got away with saying both political parties are controlled by the same groups AND that they sell weapons to both sides of a war. You just can't say that without someone breathing down your neck. Even the last episode did the BEST environmental message I've ever seen without sounding tree huggy.

Dinosaurs is HIGHLY underrated.

beau

Reaction score
Well, to keep this thread going..

Super Why-Now, I could go on and on about the Dora mode of educational television...the whole talks loudly and slowly because kids are all morons... but I won't. I could go into the obscene amount of toning down beloved stories like Hansel and Gretel (Hansel and Gretel's Healthy adventure... really... really...) so they're more educational and don't frighten paranoid little kids (even Rugrats' Chuckie likes more danger). Not even the fact that their designs are ugly butt knockoffs of Little Einsteins. Not even going into how the songs seem like they've been written in 3 minutes while the guy was on the can (He's Super Why! He's the Guy! My oh My! We're gonna fly!... don't look now... we have an award winning veteran lyricist on our hands).
It is the worst thing to happen to superheroes EVER. Worse than Superman's ugly 1990's costume with the sparks hanging out of his eyes...worse than Wolverine's movie... even worse than the time that Marvel Comics had that horrible typo that SHOULD have read "The Killer known as Sabertooth" (I'm sure we remember that). I object to Super Heroes having to go out and save kitty cats from trees in little kids shows (even Sesame Street), and even then, that's a "Fist of the North Star" level of masculine adrenaline compared to what they do. Go into overly watered down fairy tales to solve easy to solve problems to teach common sense morals along with really bad literacy techniques.

Really... YUCK!
I actually adore Super Why.

I love the "fractured fairy tales"-ishness of it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually... I recommend checking out an Austrialian (or is it European?) show called Fairy Tale PD or something like that. It's the same concept, a couple of detectives making sure Fairy tales go as they're supposed to go as planned with a REAL feal of the Fractured Fairy Tales series. only not extremely PC and this version's actually fun to watch no matter what age you are.

If you have a Dollar Tree store, you MAY just be able to find a copy. It's a billion times better than Super Why is. Trust me.

Xerus

Reaction score
Actually... I recommend checking out an Austrialian (or is it European?) show called Fairy Tale PD or something like that. It's the same concept, a couple of detectives making sure Fairy tales go as they're supposed to go as planned with a REAL feal of the Fractured Fairy Tales series. only not extremely PC and this version's actually fun to watch no matter what age you are.

If you have a Dollar Tree store, you MAY just be able to find a copy. It's a billion times better than Super Why is. Trust me.
Yes, I have the FTPD DVD myself and it's pretty entertaining. It's neat to see a cartoon series from Australia. Besides Animalia. Which is also a wonderful cartoon series.