Out With the Old, In With the New! The New Year's Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We have our Christmas thread, our Thanksgiving thread, our Halloween thread, and our Valentine's Day thread... it stands to reason that we need a thread to discuss what we hope will come with the new year ahead of us, how we feel about leaving the old year behind, and talk about our unrealistic resolutions that we'll break by January 3.

So, yeah, 2014 has certainly been an off year for me, but I'm not at all surprised: years that end in even numbers are always poor years for me for some reason (except for 2008, however, that was the best year of my life), so I'm certainly glad to leave 2014 in the dust and keep it there.

Seems like 2014 has also been a less than pleasant year for a lot of other people as well; I've seen floating around FB that people are hoping that 2015 will be, "The Year of Positive Changes." I can go for that.

As for resolutions, I never make resolutions, because I know they'll be broken anyway. :stick_out_tongue:

And now, here's Snowth's Guide to Years Past to the Best of his Memory:
  • 1989-1994: Too much of a blur
  • 1995: Stellar, okay year, a year full of firsts: first loose tooth, first time wearing glasses, first surgery (tonsilectomy), first year of school...
  • 1996: Odd, not really noteworthy year
  • 1997: Slightly better year, but still not too noteworthy
  • 1998: A rollercoster year, but in hindsight, pretty interesting and memorable
  • 1999: A pretty darn good year, I must say
  • 2000: Second wave of big changes, namely moving on from elementary to middle school; another interesting, rollercoaster year
  • 2001: A pleasant enough year; first year I developed an interest in puppetry
  • 2002: A weird, kind of off year
  • 2003: A terrific, wonderful year, really enjoyed it
  • 2004: Worst year of my life
  • 2005: Definitely an improvement, another great, uplifting year
  • 2006: Second worst year of my life
  • 2007: Light at the end of the tunnel year
  • 2008: Best year of my life, wish I could live it again
  • 2009: Decent followup to the previous year
  • 2010: Mindscrew year
  • 2011: Improved year
  • 2012: Weird, somewhat disappointing year
  • 2013: Stellar, average, pretty good
  • 2014: Not too good, glad it's over.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Yaaayyy a New Years thread!!:smile: -throws confetti and blows noisemaker-

When I was littler, I used to be such a worrywart about what the new year's gonna bring and the fact that I'm gonna miss the present year. Like how Telly felt about it in that (underrated) SS New Years Eve special (one of my favorite SS videos while growing up). XD

But nowadays, I began to realize that the New Year is a sign that I can change for the better, and it also gets me excited to experience many things I can learn and grow from.:smile:

Last edited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
2014 brought a lot of highlights for me, but it's ending pretty miserably. I would like to hope 2015 won't continue that pattern...I don't recall a time when I've felt this hopeless. Maybe it's part of getting older. I'd like to think this will balance out somehow eventually...

animalrescuer

Reaction score
This year was certainly better than last year for me where I've had four members of my family die and another battling breast cancer and won. This year I got a chance to volunteer in an animal shelter again after being on hiatus because of college and studying for additional exams. To date, I lost 15 pounds since starting a new diet plan last year. Of course, it could've been nicer if I had a job.

For the new year, I'm hoping for a job, either any job that will pay the bills and student loans or a job involving animals, which I want more than anything else in the world! Also, to try and not be so bitter about being unemployed, but that'll be pretty hard to do.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
2014... The good stuff:
1 Muppets Most Wanted, yaaaay! ! !
2 The Muppet Character Encyclopedia.
3 Took a week's vacation and went to New Orleans in April.
4 My sister and her fiancee came back to live here in PR.
5 Sesame Street's 45th anniversary, but moreso Numeric Con was the best episode ever.

There have been bad things happen to like how everyone here caught a bout of the newly named flu virus, but at least we got over it in a week or weekend's time... And other stuff as well... But hey, it's time to party and celebrate the coming of 2015! :crazy:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I suppose another highlight of 2014 for me was the fact that it was Steve D'Monster's tenth anniversary... of course, it wasn't too much of a special occasion, as there was really nothing I could have done that I would have liked to, such as a faux celebrity roast retrospective special or anything like that.

Oh, but how could I forget? Brian Jay Jones's incredibly Jim Henson biography! That was a great gift to get last Christmas!