Original Muppet Whatnot Workshop now off-line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Reaction score
As far as i know, the concept is not interchangable Muppets.

You take the Whatnot home with you, they make it in store while you wait. The features are being glued on with a hot glue gun. If you order online or through the mail the person making the Whatnot sees your design and puts the features on exactly where you said.

Again, the concept isnt interchangable, but if they are breaking down costs of the parts individually instore (i guess to make it cheaper for some than $90 if they just want something really basic without much clothes and sell more of them) then i doubt there is anything to stop you just walking out with the parts rather than having them glued on. They might require a body purchase when buying accessories though so you are buying an actual puppet, we shall see!

Lab Rat

Reaction score
I have just tried to order the whatnots but they wont ship outside the US

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I see what you all mean about playing with this site wow i made some puppets and then the creative ideas just really began to flow!

MWoO

Reaction score
It's so very cool, but are these really muppet quality puppets for 90 bucks? I want one like NOW but want to wait and see what the real product looks like. I maybe have to be there opening day and get mine in person.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I don't know my question is I wonder how long these puppets will last? I also wonder if there will be at some point some kits to help repair your puppet.

HerryGrail

Reaction score
This is an awesome thing...don't get me wrong. But the online tool doesn't allow any positioning of the elements, and the comparative sizes of the noses and eyes don't look accurate when you see the actual puppets shown above the palette. (And the oval eyes, which are Muppet mainstays, go on the dummy puppet like eyeglasses, not at all slanted.) The noses are flat without looking real on the faces, and there appear to be some color options missing.

Again, I'm not complaining! This is an incredible thing! I just wish they could have gone one little step further with the online tool and show more accurate rendering, and that we could order unassembled puppets rather than rely on someone else to do the positioning, especially if we're just talking glue-gun (scary). Those of us who would want to buy something like this would expect some flexibility, since that's what these "Whatnot" (when did they stop being called "Anything"?) Muppets are all about, and they've even done skits about it over the years. Are they trying to control what's done with them so that they aren't used for commercial purposes?

TopperFraggle

Reaction score
I am totally excited about this, but also wary about the final product. Fortunately I won't be ordering mine until closer to Christmas so that will give me some time to see others photos of what thier Whatnot looked like upon completion. My concerns are the same as listed above- namely the online renderings don't seem to be totally accurate, just a quick approximation, but there's just the slimmest chance that the final product would match that picture exactly. I guess it's too much to hope that the people constructing these are skilled puppet makers who know all the design secrets of the Henson Co and would make the best choices in terms of placement, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.