Open Source Puppetry Project

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
I hit a rough patch in my personal life, but things are starting to look up. Pamela and I will be hitting Chinatown, and then Timmy is off to Sidney, Australia.

As for the Open-Source idea, I'd have to say this thread has been a real education.

-- Scraps

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I think the lesson of this thread is if you want something done do it yourself.... I've been doing my own videos over on my myspace site (they are nothing amazing but I am proud of them at any rate) and scrapsflippy went and did his Timmy Tube sock thing(which is pretty funny stuff and follows a lot of the ideas he set forth by suggesting the open source project). I guess I wish we could have gotten something put together here but oh well. Who knows maybe this idea will get revived. I'm on board if it does.

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
You're absolutely right, Danny.

I think a true open-source project could work, but it would take a mighty big "opinion leader" to start it and set up the basic idea.

From there, it's a matter of the idea catching fire among an audience, which then leads to members of that audience originating their own additions to the overall idea. I'm not sure a committee, collective, or commune can create such a project. I think that it comes down to individuals, and certainly an individual to kick the whole thing off.

If you want it done, do it yourself.

Still, this thread has been a very interesting and educational exercise.

-- Scraps

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think this thread has been really interesting too and very insightful. I think the idea of collaborative and even open source is really viable, but like you've both said the key part is someone taking ownership of something and getting it up and running.

video567

Reaction score
well if anyone has has a desent pattern i am willing to make a generic puppet film something put it on a re writtabe dvd and mail it to the next person so they can continue to add to a dvd mail it to the next person. i have tons of foam here, glue, and material that if i dont get it back i wont be concerned, all i will be out would be the shipping cost and i am not to worried about it.then the video could be uploaded to rapid share to make sure everyone can download it also so they can have all the rought footage. eventually once the puppet makes his tour around the world it can all be edited and we can all make our own dvd. the final dvd with the rough footage can go to someone with video editing skills and they can create something for everyone to have. a muppetcentral co op to its extreme all creative commons. i know in rapishare you can load a lot of files then we can download the final project and burn our own dvd or vcd... just a thought

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I think this thread has been really interesting too and very insightful. I think the idea of collaborative and even open source is really viable, but like you've both said the key part is someone taking ownership of something and getting it up and running.
The idea really blossomed, didn't it? It's exciting being a part of a multi-national brainstorming session! If anything, we've seen that people will run with a good basic premise, and disagreements can be sorted out cordially.

-- Scraps

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I've recently been taking a look at the latest version of Celtx, which is really impressive. It basically allows multiple people to collaborate on a film online and it's free, open-source software. I saw a very early version about a year ago and was not very impressed, but the new version of this is fantastic. I think it's going to be really interesting to see how it helps collaborative online filmmaking projects.

I've decided to turn my Bear Town project in to an open source, CC-licensed, collaborative online film (I started a thread about this here awhile ago). To avoid some of the problems that were highlighted in this thread it's going to be structured like a regular low/no budget independent film with a writer/director and proper "departments" each with a head person with the main difference that almost everything is being done collaboratively online. I just got back online after having no Internet at home/work for about a week and half so I hope to have bunch more about this to share soon.

I'm really eager to see what happens with the 10 second club, Scraps' project and other things of this nature. It's a really exciting time to be involved with this kind of puppetry!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
video567 said:
a muppetcentral co op to its extreme all creative commons. i know in rapishare you can load a lot of files then we can download the final project and burn our own dvd or vcd... just a thought
This is sort of what I'd like to see happen, sort of an "Open Puppetry Commons" that could be a huge repository of footage, patterns, puppets, etc.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I saw this on Slashdot and wanted to pass it along, an article from the Economist about the Open Source movement and it's advantages/disadvantages. One of the points the article makes is that for any open source project to thrive it needs a rigid, business-like organizational structure. If you're interested in open source it's good reading.

http://www.economist.com/business/displaystory.cfm?story_id=5624944