On Writing Fan Fiction (Rules & Advice)

Revriley

Reaction score
(Just a heads up--Ruahnna's post is included in the quote, if you're wondering where it is).

And let me say, oh my Gosh I am so sorry if anyone thought I was stating that things should be done only one particular way. That was in no way my intention and I will go back and reword what I said if necessary to better reflect what I was trying to say. Of course it is alright for one to include Rizzo or Clifford in TMS stories--I would never exclude Rizzo from a TMS fic myself.

What I meant to say with the continuity plea (and I realize that it was ill-worded) was that you should at least be aware of certain characters' existence and use the 'official' timeline (which as you've said is very big and elastic and frankly I don't have a firm grasp of it entirely) as a frame of reference. For instance, in the case of "before Beauregard there was George the Janitor," I was thinking of writers potentially writing a fic with the assumption that Beauregard had always been the only janitor at the theater, which doesn't really sit right with me.

I affirm again that there is positively no 'one correct way' to approach the muppets. Honestly, if we did stick only to what was shown in the show, some things simply wouldn't make sense in the story. It would be ridiculous to not acknowledge Gladys and the canteen's existence as part of the theater based on the absense of said muppet and location for certain lengths of the show. It would be frankly silly to not include Hilda as part of the staff in a fic just because she stopped showing up in the show during later seasons.

What I said before was all muddled and unintended falsities and I apologize. The Mupept timeline is so large and confusing and occasionally inconsistent that it's natural for writers to explore and create new, exciting situations that don't need to be tied to any official sentiment. Of course it is reasonable to say that Scooter and Robin age, that maybe Gonzo and Camilla get married or what if and so on.

This has been a very long post, and I'm afraid it may sound a little repetitive. One of the great things about the Muppets is the endless potential for stories of all varieties, what ifs and change. Such freedom and creativity should be celebrated and taken advantage of and I do not at all intend to bury such stories before they're even written.

Harleena

Reaction score
Oh, and on the topic of staying in-character--this applies to 'celebrity guest stars' too. I myself am a bit uncomfortable with the idea of taking a real-life person and using them in a story (though I should try and overcome this as the guest-stars are integral to TMS), and if you are going to have a guest-star in your story, please, please remember that they are real people and be respectful of that. Research them extensively, and write them as they would act in real life. It can be tempting to 'make' a favorite actor act a certain way, but if they wouldn't do it in real life don't have them do it in your fic.

Oh, and do try and establish when your story is taking place. If you're writing about TMS, which aired in the late 70s and early 80s, make sure you alert the readers to any time change (say, that the show continued to run in the modern day). It wouldn't make sense, for instance, to have Johnny Depp or NPH appear on the show without properly defining the time period. There are plenty of celebrities of the 70s-80s who weren't on the show--you don't have to resort to 21st century actors for want of guest-stars.
That's why if I ever write a Muppet Show outline, I'm going to use someone who isn't exactly "real", like Hatsune Miku.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Couple of things that need pointing out here.

First, if you're looking for someone to proofread your fic, don't post the entire chapter in this thread, that's what the respective fic's thread is for. Rather, put in a request for a Beta or someone to do the job and if someone agrees to do so, send them the chapter via PM or email (whichever option the person agreeing to proofread the chapter prefers).

Second, there are already existing threads to post your fan-created original characters. Please post your OC's descripts there so people can comment accordingly. Or you could put in a request that you're looking for someone to help with developing your OC and if anyone agrees initiate a PM with them for that.

This thread should be kept for discussing ways that you can make your fics more enjoyable for all here. Thanks and have a good day.

Harleena

Reaction score
Couple of things that need pointing out here.

First, if you're looking for someone to proofread your fic, don't post the entire chapter in this thread, that's what the respective fic's thread is for. Rather, put in a request for a Beta or someone to do the job and if someone agrees to do so, send them the chapter via PM or email (whichever option the person agreeing to proofread the chapter prefers).

Second, there are already existing threads to post your fan-created original characters. Please post your OC's descripts there so people can comment accordingly. Or you could put in a request that you're looking for someone to help with developing your OC and if anyone agrees initiate a PM with them for that.

This thread should be kept for discussing ways that you can make your fics more enjoyable for all here. Thanks and have a good day.
Oh, okay. Thanks for letting me know!

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
so i'm writing and posting a fanfiction on another site. I think I am doing pretty well with how the characters act but my only problem is the band lingo the electric mayhem speaks in, especially with dr. teeth and his flowering grammar. I just wish to know one thing.
Is it okay if I don't get dr. teeth's stylish speaking 100% perfect? He's VERY hard to make speak accurately but I am doing my best to make him IN character even if I don't make his grammar/speaking style perfectly accurate.

Harleena

Reaction score
so i'm writing and posting a fanfiction on another site. I think I am doing pretty well with how the characters act but my only problem is the band lingo the electric mayhem speaks in, especially with dr. teeth and his flowering grammar. I just wish to know one thing.
Is it okay if I don't get dr. teeth's stylish speaking 100% perfect? He's VERY hard to make speak accurately but I am doing my best to make him IN character even if I don't make his grammar/speaking style perfectly accurate.
Yeah, that's usually fine. I think that he's kind of hard to write, so it's alright if you don't get him perfect.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
I get the feeling when jim created him he didn't even consider anyone using him in fanfictions. XD of course I don't think the net existed when he was made. But thanks for letting me know. ^^ I will probably post chapter 1 pretty soon. my only warning is the tory gets darker as it goes on and I don't want to get in trouble for writing dark fanfiction. and no it's NOT a creepypasta. Muppets and creepypasta don't mix.

Harleena

Reaction score
I get the feeling when jim created him he didn't even consider anyone using him in fanfictions. XD of course I don't think the net existed when he was made. But thanks for letting me know. ^^ I will probably post chapter 1 pretty soon. my only warning is the tory gets darker as it goes on and I don't want to get in trouble for writing dark fanfiction. and no it's NOT a creepypasta. Muppets and creepypasta don't mix.
Well, I suppose you could do some crappy lost episode, but it wouldn't be good. If you want a Muppets and creepy fandom crossover, go with Five Nights at Freddy's, or maybe Don't Hug Me I'm Scared. I'd personally pick FNAF since it seems easier.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
LOL I'm not writing a crossover. it's just about the muppets and happens to get creepy.