NY Times: Fuzzy Renaissance

rexcrk

Reaction score
Very nice read!

I'm very interested in that "Make your own Muppet" thing at F.A.O Shwarz...

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
I hope this works out. I would love to see the return of the Muppets. I just hope they don't get too santized. Hopefully, it also means the other two season sets for the Muppet Show. Hang in there Muppets. :embarrassed: :concern: :shifty:

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Well I have read the article and all the comments, and I have to say, it sounds like Disney really wants to do something with the Muppets. If that is so, I can hardly wait.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
MFS had a lot of things wrong with it. There where two verisons of the movie one by Jerry Juill and the other by Kert Thacher. Kert's movie is the one shot. Then you have to take that it was released by Sony and there marketing was not done well for the movie. Brian Henson has said that in an old interview, and I can always give you the link to it. So MFS had its problems and is the same with OZ thats why they both did not do as well. because you had to many writers or a problem with the writeres with MFS, and comapny prblems. Look at how many comapnys where involved im making Oz. There where bound to be trouble, plus the fact that Henson sold the Muppet to Disney durring the making of Oz.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think the article shows truth and promise. Hopefully, they won't let us down at the Mouse House, and it doesn't seem like they will. What they are planning right now is what they should have been doing 3 years ago, though.

I'm happy to see they are beginning to work on bringing the Muppets back to the front of the line again.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
You know, I wasn't terribly unhappy with the broken promises that Disney did (I wasn't AT ALL excited about America's Next Muppet, and thank God they canned it).

That being said, I love this article, and it shows real promise!

BTW, I'm obscenely excited for Letters to Santa.

And I am really, really intrigued by the FAO Schwarz Build-A-Muppet deal. I'd love to see THAT in the "reimagined" Pleasure Island!

BJ

Redsonga

Reaction score
I just hope they re-run Letters to Santa more than once, there is nothing worst than missing a tv special :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lemme just say this... there is a fine line between negativity and skepticism. I'm looking forward to these projects, and I know that they WILL happen at some point. They spent all this money getting the Muppets, and they want to work them out, and have the money work for them as well.

The problem is, and will always be, they just didn't know exactly what to do. A Movie? Considering the last few Muppet Movies didn't do great at the BO, it seemed out of the question. A TV show? Where were they gonna put it? Disney's running Disney Channel stuff... ABC family doesn't do much... and ABC has its own line up to take care of. The best things we could have hoped for were a special at some point, and a DTV project.

I think there is real hope and promise coming out of Disney....
Now, I AM skeptic about these projects... but just a healthy dose of it. I feel they will happen, but I want to see MORE info... I won't count my chickens until we see physical evidence. I know there will be a movie eventually and a Christmas special (A Christmas special is a can't miss anyway. Look at the loser new specials people have been tossing together...a Freezerburnt Christmas? Yeeechhhh!).

This news article gives me hope. When a project goes from internet buzz to mainstream media, it almost HAS to happen.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Good read. One question, does anyone know where I can find the interview Frank and "others" expressed disappointment w/ the current state of the Muppets? I've read about his thoughts on SS, but I'm curious about these other statements.

Meanwhile Henson loyalists like the performer and puppeteer Frank Oz publicly criticized aspects of Disney’s stewardship. Allowing Miss Piggy to serve as a Pizza Hut pitchwoman in a Super Bowl commercial created a major dust-up among fans, even though Henson himself was overtly commercial. (The piano-playing dog Rowlf was created in 1962 to sell Purina Dog Chow.) And family members have at times been frustrated at what they saw as Disney’s lack of focus.