NY Times: Fuzzy Renaissance

Drtooth

Reaction score
CGI would kill itself with over-exposure. People ARE getting sick of it. Every one and their mother is making a CGI cartoon film. I did like Igor, though... but "Fly Me Too The Moon?" Come on...

Though I do love how Henson is working with both mediums, though...

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I hope I don't come off as being too negative about CG. Just as with traditional animation, live action, puppetry, stop animation or whatever, if it has a good story and message, I'll probably love it. I really do like that the JHC is working with different mediums and I think that Jim would have wanted it that way.

I just don't want puppetry to completely fade out of its radar, if that makes any sense. I know that they have been working on different projects that do feature puppetry, so perhaps my negativity is completely without foundation. Which I hope it is.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
CGI would kill itself with over-exposure. People ARE getting sick of it. Every one and their mother is making a CGI cartoon film. I did like Igor, though... but "Fly Me Too The Moon?" Come on...

Though I do love how Henson is working with both mediums, though...
I don't believe CGI will kill itself, but it will eventually recede into being more of a filmmaking tool rather than the genre it is being exploited as now. However there will always be companies that cheapen media in all sorts of ways whether it is CGI, slapped-together overseas animation, reality television or even "blue movies", there will be companies only interested in turning a quick buck.

I do think CGI does have a place with the Muppets and Henson, but it will never take over either. Years down the line (once the Muppet brand is strong) I would like to see the traditionally animated Muppet film Jim Henson was planning with the classic characters drawn under Disney's direction. It would be interesting to explore those possibilities; however nothing will ever replace puppets or puppetry with the Muppets. That's their thing and nobody does it better. Nobody.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Nah. I don't think it's dead by any means. Puppetry is an ancient art. It would take alot more than CGI to kill it.
Hmmm...this is an interesting point. I was at a fair this weekend watching jugglers and was discussing with my wife this very idea. It seems that performances arts like jugglers and clowns have stayed as street performances and circus acts. Somewhere along the way (and maybe due to Jim henson) it became the idea that puppetry is a medium used in tv and film only. Because of this it was easy for puppetry to be replaced by CGI, but truthfully puppetry is an artform, not just a way to bring non-human creatures alive on film. Thats why sesame street, the muppets, etc; cannot be replaced by cgi because people see those characters as being brought to life by the artform of puppetry.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Hmmm...this is an interesting point. I was at a fair this weekend watching jugglers and was discussing with my wife this very idea. It seems that performances arts like jugglers and clowns have stayed as street performances and circus acts. Somewhere along the way (and maybe due to Jim henson) it became the idea that puppetry is a medium used in tv and film only. Because of this it was easy for puppetry to be replaced by CGI, but truthfully puppetry is an artform, not just a way to bring non-human creatures alive on film. Thats why sesame street, the muppets, etc; cannot be replaced by cgi because people see those characters as being brought to life by the artform of puppetry.
I always thought the idea of still having traveling puppet shows in the big city in the US like Punch and Judy was (is?) in other parts of the world would add a much needed layer to US culture:smile:.
I guess in a way the muppets are ours, but the fact that you hardly ever get to see them as themselves live doing shows does take away a little bit of something IMHO...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Back to the Fuzzy Renaissance.

What is the one character, project, product or special thing you think the (now Disney owned) Muppets have been missing that you wish they'd bring back?

:flirt: I hope to see more Scooter, Rowlf and Mayhem. I would like to see a new Muppet Show or at least more Muppet specials. I would also like to see more quality, accurate-looking figural merchandise (like face mugs, plushes and figures). I feel projects have been missing good original music and a more inclusive balance to the humor. It doesn't have to skew kiddie or snarky. That's the cool thing about the Muppet Show characters. They can't please everybody, but they can bring back more of the original spirit of Jim's Muppets that has been happening on the web. :wink:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
:flirt: I hope to see more Scooter, Rowlf and Mayhem. I would like to see a new Muppet Show or at least more Muppet specials. I would also like to see more quality, accurate-looking figural merchandise (like face mugs, plushes and figures). I feel projects have been missing good original music and a more inclusive balance to the humor. It doesn't have to skew kiddie or snarky. That's the cool thing about the Muppet Show characters. They can't please everybody, but they can bring back more of the original spirit of Jim's Muppets that has been happening on the web. :wink:
...There's no way I could've said that better. :stick_out_tongue: That is EXACTLY what I want to see--EXACTLY. I think all of that WILL happen too. This Fuzzy Renaissance is gonna change everything.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Scooter defiantly needs to be bought back to his major character status. I always thought he was always such a vital part of the Muppet Show, and then it seemed as though after the Muppet Show, he was slowly cast to the side. After Richard Hunt's death, we know he hardly appeared at all for years. I'm just glad that Scooter does seem to be coming back. It would also be nice to see more Rowlf as well.

I'd also like to see other minor/secondary Muppet characters.

And of course, a new prime time Muppet show would be very welcome if done right. (With music and comedy that appeals to general audiences... not just kids)