Now what's going on with YouTube?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The idea nugget for YouTube was because they creators thought there was no easy platform for sharing the clip of Janet Jackson at that one SuperBowl.

YT is a video sharing site; the fact that content creators were able to make money off it wasn't really the main thrust of the site.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm not even talking about making money, I'm talking about the little guy being able to garner exposure for their own work that would otherwise have no other way of getting exposure.

Granted, in some cases, like James Rolfe, or Doug Walker, they did better when they went in their own directions, a la Cinemassacre and ThatGuyWithTheGlasses (and later Channel Awesome), but this was the original purpose YouTube meant to serve (hence the name YouTube) . . . and yes, I am aware that even from the get-go, a lot of people abused the privilege of YouTube by uploading rare copyrighted material such as old movies and TV shows (and this is why the original creators sold YouTube to Google, so a bigger company could actively monitor copyrighted material being uploaded).

Nevertheless, with the increase of narcissistic vloggers, corporate-produced movies and shows, and now even celebrities taking to it, the little guy is virtually non-existent on YouTube. It'd be like if film festivals across the globe decided to start hosting Hollywood blockbusters with A-list casts, and shoo out the indie filmmakers with their Kickstarter projects.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So not only is YouTube back to their old trick of not even you showing you new uploads from channels you're subscribed to until a number of days after the new videos were uploaded, but here's a little something I just learned from another struggling small YouTuber who noticed something else was amiss that YouTube isn't telling us about: you know how nowadays it's not even enough to click the subscribe button on a channel, but to actually see when new videos are uploaded and such, you have to click that bell icon to receive notifications about them? Well, apparently, if you don't "interact" with a channel (i.e. view uploads, comment, etc.) after a certain amount of time (like a week or so), YouTube itself disables the notifications for that channel on your account automatically.

I'm more and more convinced that YouTube just simply likes screwing people over, because there's really no logical reasoning behind any of the Scrappy Mechanics behind how some of their features work, and how inconvenient a lot of them really are.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Get adblockers.
I'm talking about the videos with the lady that you can't skip... her instructing me to throw my wallet in the pool, her attraction for the pool boy or what appears to be metallic undergarments being thrown at her at the club.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
yes. get adblockers. they remove youtube ads

i use ublock origin

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Also a good way to help YouTube lose money which they definitely deserve.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Considering in recent years, YouTube has opened their own studio facilities in California, are able to produce their own full-budgeted, in-house shows and movies, and recently started up their own streaming service, I'm sure all of that compensates for whatever money they lose from people like us using adblockers.

This may also be one of the reasons why they've made it even harder for creators to monetize - because they can afford to.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently YouTube has changed rules again: you have to have a minimum of 1,000 subscribers in order to livestream now.

Fortunately, I guess because mine's an older channel, it doesn't apply to me, because I'm still able to livestream despite only having 240 subscribers. This is good, because I just realized this August will be Steve D'Monster's 15th anniversary, so I might attempt another livestream with him then.