None Like it Hot: The "I Hate the Heat" Club

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One of my favorite M*A*S*H episodes is entitled "None Like it Hot", in which South Korea is in the middle of a heatwave, and Hawkeye and B.J. receive a special package in the mail that they have been waiting six months for: a bathtub! Unfortunately, Charles catches them and soon the whole camp knows about the bathtub, thus making everybody standing in a long line, pushing and shoving, just for their ten minutes to cool off in a tub full of nice cool water in the middle of the unbearable heat. Meanwhile all that's happen, Klinger and Colonel Potter make a bet: if Klinger can stand going around in his fur coats and rubbersuits for 24 hours, then he can have a Section-8, and Radar suffers from both the heat AND his tonsils.

I know a lot of you lucky yanks up north (New England states, and Canada, even) are still having nice cool mid-day highs of temperatures in the 50s, and 60s, but us poor hillbillies in the south are facing mid-day highs of 80s, with heat indexes reaching almost 100, and hardly any rain; just day after day after of nothing but hot sun (unless you live in Florida where it thunderstorms everyday).

Now although I like summer for the freedom of it, I HATE summer for the unbearable heat, and what with Global Warming going on, each summer gets even hotter and hotter, and our southern winters keep getting milder and milder (and snowless too).

Are you bummed about the heat too? Is Global Warming depressing you? Are you sad that winter is only seven months away, but you know that the mid-day highs will rarely dip below 50 and you'll hardly see a flake of snow?

Then join the club, we've got jackets! Wait a minute... jackets? In this heat? Get those things away from me!

Join the club, we've got tank-tops.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I like this club Snowthy! So far this spring has been a nice one up here in Minnesota, we are seeing some warmer summers and winters, but it is still a place where we can say "you don't like the weather right now? Give it five minutes, it'll change" But anyway, I really don't like the heat, last summer we had weeks on end in the 90's and even got close to 100 a couple of times. Ick. Not for me. My favorite season is Fall. Oh well. Give me one of those tank tops for now I guess!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I like fall as well, but sadly our falls down here aren't even cool anymore.

Here's our "Yearly Seasonal Changes According to Snowthy" for those of us below the Mason-Dixon line...

1. Spring pretty arrives on time; depending on the month of the year, spring can be pretty mild, but other times it can be unbearable like today, that's why...
2. Summer is a big bully! Summer usually arrives around April or May so it can it can get a jump start on heating up the world. And because of that, it likes to overstay his welcome, because even heading into October and November it's still warm outside, which is why...
3. Fall is never on time because summer overstays his welcome. Fall has feelings too, you know? That's when fall finally does arrive, he likes to his three month period as well, so fall pretty can run from November till...
4. By the time winter finally gets here, it's already time for spring, and since spring likes to arrive on time, it kicks winter out of the scene.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Yep, us Yanks are enjoying a comfortable Spring. It's been (mostly) sunny, cool and breezy. Very nice sleeping weather.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I think the highest temp we've had so far was about 78 degrees. But that was a rare occasion. Mostly our temps are in the 60s during the day, but at night it can dip down to the lower 50s.

The last time it snowed up here was towards the end of March.

And yeah, fall is my favorite season, too. We get great falls here. Nice, cool temps, not too hot, not too cold. The changing leaves. The crunchy leaves on the ground as you walk through the woods.

In fact, our autumn leaves are so crunchy, you could pour milk all over 'em, and they'd still retain their crunch. Although I wouldn't recommend it. I'm just saying...it's not...it's not like I actually ate a bowl of leaves, I...hey, look! Is that a Yeti climbing a tree over there?

(Leach runs out of the thread)

Skye

Reaction score
Sorry, Snowthy... even though I'm posting in here (haha), I can't join this club! I can't stand weather in the 50s... way too cold for me. I love hot weather. The heat indexes do make it a little harder, but temps in the 80s are my favorites. If I could have it hot and wear tank tops every day of the year, I'd gladly go for it! So what the heck, maybe I'll join the club for the tank top! :wink:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Winslow, Skye, Daniel... I just wanted to thank you two so much for making me feel even MORE miserable!

Teheheman

Reaction score
Yeah, it hasn't been a bad spring, although it was wicked cold earlier, it made up for it by being halfway decent in the springtime.

Daniel

Skye

Reaction score
Uh-oh, I'm sorry, Snowthy! I'd switch places with ya if I could. I'd gladly live in the South!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Down with heat! BOOO! I miss spring and summer and even winters in pennsylvania. I am not used to this heat. I'm actually sweating just typing right now