None Like it Hot: The "I Hate the Heat" Club

D'Snowth

Reaction score
*Snickers* Yeah, apparently there's an old saying that, "If it thunders in February, it'll snow in April."

Well, two years in a row, it thundered in February, so Mother Nature owes us two snowy Aprils that we were denied.

Heck, for it to snow in DECEMBER down here isn't very common... it'll snow in January, MAYBE in February. The winter of 2010-2011 was amazingly strange for us, we had all kinds of snow and ice for almost all of December and January (but then we had an early spring in February that ruined it). 2011-2012, we had NO winter at all, it was basically an extended fall.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I wish I was still living in Philly. This triple digit heat is awful. I just went outside for 2 minutes to walk my dog, and I thought I was going to just pass out there.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Summers in the south aren't fun, are they Sarge?

But yeah, I remember last year, or the year before last, it was so hot outside, you could break a sweat just STANDING IN THE SHADE! Last year, it heat, combined with the humidity, and the UV rays was so bad, they warned people that if they went outside, they would literally burn within ten minutes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, we were supposed to get a thunderstorm this evening: the warning is supposed to expire in the next four minutes, so where was the thunderstorm? It got cloudy, but there wasn't any rain, or thunder, or lightning, or anything.

Well hopefully, it appears the current string of 100+ degree days comes to an end tomorrow, and we'll be in the low and mid 90s for a while... hardly an improvement really.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ho-ly crap! I just saw on the news that the constant 100+ degree weather we've had over the weekend was the cause of a fish kill in a community pond/lake in South Knoxville... I mean, literally, hundreds, maybe even thousands of fish were just floating there in the water, dead... apparently, when the temperatures exceed over a hundred, the heat sucks the oxygen out of the water, suffocating the fish and killing them.

One of the weirdest things I've ever seen!

Anyway, today saw some minor improvements, we're down into the 90s, it's still fricken hot, but still, at least it's not the 100s.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Yeah, the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, and just listen to those birds frying in the trees...

After all... it's 110 today.
You made me snort from trying to stifle a laugh, Snowth. :smile:

I've been putting out seed and water for the birds 'cos it seems like there isn't anything for them...hot as hades and a drought. MONTHS of drought. And today we have smoke haze from wildfires. Lovely.

Supposedly the monsoon starts tomorrow. I ain't holding my breath.
-------------

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
What's even worse is that I just saw the forecast on the monitor at my local grocery store is that we're expecting temperatures in the 90s all week. I really think after this we're going to need cool weather once fall begins.

This year, I think the entire country was experiencing unseasonably warm weather this March. Being down here in the south, much of the month of September is still pretty hot for us, but USUALLY, October's kind of 50/50: half of the month is still pretty warm, but more spring-like warm rather than summer-like hot, while the other half is cool enough to wear long pants, but not quite chilly enough to warrant a sweater or anything, but November usually marks the beginning of sweater-weather (which I LOVE).
We had a hot October here one year. I guess we're all hoping that doesn't happen again.

Tom Fraggle

Reaction score
Or another thing here in the Southeast with our really high humidity. You step into the shower to cool off and refresh. Five minutes later after you get out, you feel just as sticky and icky again. /lol