No Muppets At Nascar???

Luke

Reaction score
Thats a cool pic that goes with the article - was it chopped or is there a version we can see anywhere with more Pepe and Rizzo ?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The pic I was given had a headline under Pepe and Rizzo. There are several versions of that shot out there though that we're trying to track down.

Luke

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Phil, it's a lovely shot eitherway. I bet that must have been so frustrating for the puppeteers being all ready to go on a big appearance and then zip, poor guys, but at least they made something out of it.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Thanks for the info Phil, it's a lovely shot eitherway. I bet that must have been so frustrating for the puppeteers being all ready to go on a big appearance and then zip, poor guys, but at least they made something out of it.<<<

Hey, so that we need tickets picture I saw, was that a stairical reponse to not being let on to chicagoland speedway? as I thought this aired a few days before the race on espn. There was a lot of mixup on the nascar news...its good to here the drivers were very supportive of the muppets and were pushing for em. It would have been great to see em on tv, but oh well. So Im curious...about that clip of Rivkin and the Muppet gang celebrating with NASCAR...all that was for nothing?

towels

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
So Im curious...about that clip of Rivkin and the Muppet gang celebrating with NASCAR...all that was for nothing?
Well, it seems to me that there is a difference between the powers that be at Nascar and the powers that be at the speedway. It would be like the NFL scheduling {insert favorite music group here} for a halftime Super Bowl show and the stadium not letting them in. A very stupid and greedy move on the part of the speedway.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Well, it seems to me that there is a difference between the powers that be at Nascar and the powers that be at the speedway. It would be like the NFL scheduling {insert favorite music group here} for a halftime Super Bowl show and the stadium not letting them in. A very stupid and greedy move on the part of the speedway<<<

aw, good to hear there is some clarification as of late. Hmm, it seems like Nascar woul dstill be able to wield there weight or clout to have allowed them on, or *gasp* for the commentators to make mention of the 2th annv and other Muppet related stuff.

Sunshineboz

Reaction score
Late but important.

I know I'm posting late but I just had to say....
I'll admit, I'm a huge NASCAR fan. The drivers and NASCAR fully support the Muppets and found it very ridiculous at how the press and the Chicagoland Speedway totally downplayed the representation of the Muppet Show and the Muppets.

Having those two things together are awesome to me and NASCAR is trying to gather and support the "family" atmosphere (despite the missing teeth) with help from The Muppet Show for example, however tracks that are just too uppity or really can't come up with a good reason for preventing family entertainment from happening just don't deserve NASCAR and especially not The MUPPETS!!!

I'm sorry to all of you fans of the Muppets because as a fan of both, it made NASCAR look incredibly bad, even though they do support it. Too much red tape and higher ups = nothing good. :frown:
Thanks for reading.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Sunshineboz,

Welcome to Muppet Central. Great to get to know you.

Have you ever seen anything like this happen before? Is there any kind of precedent for tracks preventing NASCAR promotions from happening?

Sunshineboz

Reaction score
"Have you ever seen anything like this happen before? Is there any kind of precedent for tracks preventing NASCAR promotions from happening?"
I haven't seen any scandal like this happen before to my knowledge. There was a bit of a problem with the "Hooters" organization having their "chicks" appear at Hooters sponsored races but this is a family deal.

Racers, Race Car owners and Nascar all must agree to have done this because of all the money involved and guidelines of being a sponsor and for the race cars. Warner Bros. had to do this too and they had their life size suited animals (Bugs, Daffy, whatnot) in the trucks with the drivers greeting the fans.

I believe that the Chicagoland created all this ruckus for nothing.
I have no idea why they chose to do this for this race, it makes them and NBC look very unorganized and slightly biased.

Sponsors are sponsors, you take them seriously. Without them, there would be no NASCAR or NBC so they shouldn't trivialize The Muppets or any other reputable sponsor.

This incident was the first of its kind that I know of that was of this level.

Oh and thanks for the welcome!! :big_grin:

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Racers, Race Car owners and Nascar all must agree to have done this because of all the money involved and guidelines of being a sponsor and for the race cars. Warner Bros. had to do this too and they had their life size suited animals (Bugs, Daffy, whatnot) in the trucks with the drivers greeting the fans.
Hello Sunshineboz! that's pretty interesting, i mean the muppets would have been more of a hit in my eyes then just people in suits of characters that can't talk and can be found in any six flags theme park like bugs, daffy, and taz, the muppet 's would have actulay been there, boy! "some" people at Nascar really blew it!

it was nice that the muppets DID get a chance to be with the cars months before the race thought, in May i think? With the video of it on the nascar muppet page website.

I think this would have been one of the muppets biggest permotions, but was just left in the dust of the nascars.

wonder what Luke thinks of the Hooters girls;-) if they couldn't show up i bet there would have been a lot more anger nascar fans then the muppets not being able to show up!