NFFC Big plans announced for the Muppet gang

beaker

Reaction score
MWoO said:
I think this is interesting news, but tieing the muppets into extreme sports and using them to help pimp the super bowl? I don't know about that. A lot of that stuff has the muppets piggy backing on other stuff. I suppose it is the first step, but still.

I just hope we get some good stuff.
Well for a lot of us its a difficult tradeoff. For starteds, the JHC every year debuted a cool new logo...Disney slaps us in the face with a really lame logo.
Also, there should be an informative Muppets.com, and then the site now should be a seperate interactive site. I really dont like Muppets.com, as it should be what Muppetworld was back in 1999.

I dont like the idea of reality tv stuff, or a lot of other stuff planned. And 50 years of Kermit...eh, sounds like they are going to turn that into the Big Bird in China thing.

Oh how I long for the days even not to long ago when Sesame was still owned by the JHC, and JH' signature graced everything. The Muppets feel more sterile now. Tho I do like the idea of the Muppets being in some sort of spotlight...the Statler at th emovies thing is good. The Muppets were on life support at JHC, but they still felt at home. I cannot explain how horrible a move I though tOz was, and not a very good push for the Muppets. So we'll see how this progresses.

MWoO

Reaction score
Well the thing is Oz was set in place while JHC still owned them. Keep that one in mind.

I think it's more of a state of mind than a reality. It just seems right to say the muppets are owned by the JHC. They should be one and the same. Even if Disney does exactly what JHC wants, it won't seem right. Muppets and Henson are one in the same and that is how it should be. But, sadly you have to face reality and realize Henson chose to sell the muppets. The JHC is a mere shell of it's former shelf. I mean what is even left now?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
tHATS A GOOD POINT MWoO i think your right we cant be saying how much we wish the muppets where still with JHC sadly they are not but know the muppets are at least in the spot light more and that good to an extent.

I really dont like the ieah of a reality tv speacl i think that will be boring and a wast of time. Im really into the deam martn roast of kirmit though if its done right. i mean at least get oscar or big bird to say somthing mean about him please.

MWoO

Reaction score
The Roast idea is really good. they already did the heart felt honoring thing for 30 years. A nice funny roast will be cool. I doubt Oscar or any Sesame Street muppet will make it over. I actually wonder what Disney will cover for the 50th since like half of Kermit's history belongs to other companies.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
This all sounds... intriguing. I'm excited that they do have such diverse plans for new projects with the Muppets, though. More new Muppet material is always fine by me!

unclematt

Reaction score
its good to know there are plans for the future

beaker

Reaction score
MWoO said:
But, sadly you have to face reality and realize Henson chose to sell the muppets. The JHC is a mere shell of it's former shelf. I mean what is even left now?
I agree with that. To me the Henson kids souled out their father's legacy and betrayed all their fans...it could seen as Eisner's last hail mail power grab beforeh his fall.

Of course on the other coin one could see it as JHC doing the only thing smart, and that was handing off the Muppets to a company who has the muscle and money to bring em back.

The turth is, there wouldnt really be a 50th muppet annv either way, not in the way a lot of us envisioned. I think fundamentally I we would just be excited if the Muppets were still with JHC; the magic has somehow been slowly seeped out.

I also cringe at th eidea of a Disney controlled Kermit roast. I mean, certainly due to legality Disney wouldnt want his Sesame Street pals there, which would defeat the purpose of a celebration of Kermit.

I wish I could say I was more excited about Chris Curtain's rattling of Muppet stuff to come. Tho the Xmas special sounds intriguing enough...so long as they get to play themselves.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I hope that the roast includes some clips from past productions, and it would be great if Disney wanted to get permission from the jim henson company and sesame workshop to include footage from Sam And friends, Sesame Street, and maybe even Emmit Otters Jug-Band Christmas.

It would be great if Disney could at least get the rights to use grover and oscar in this special. oscar would fit in well at a roast, and grover appeared with kermit more times than any other sesame street character.

One final thing. I hope that this roast focuses on the muppets, and not too much on celebrities roasting them. I think that Fozzie (making bad jokes and/ or struggling to say something mean about kermit), Statler, Waldorf, Link Hogthrob, Pepe, Floyd and maybe Gonzo, Johnny Fiama and Sal would fit in roasting kermit. I hope this is similar to the 30th anniversary special in the sense of having as many disney-owned muppets as possible. This means bringing back those who haven't been used in a long time, like Digit, Leon, Lips, Nigel the conductor, Seymour, and Gaffer.

This roast could have some backstage action. Scooter could show people to their tables, the swedish chef could cook meals, beauregard and george could clean up, nigel could conduct rowlf and the electric mayhem playing music, and bobo could check security. I wonder if the audience will bemore like in A celebration Of Thirty years (lots of muppets) or A celebration Of Me, Grover! (a smaller audience)? I hope Disney doesn't make it stragith-forward and have a real human audience.

unclematt

Reaction score
I am just excited that there are plans for the Muppets, while I may be disappointed with what they produce as long as they are still going there is always hope.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I don't think disney would have too much trouble using clips from henson properties (such as Emmet Otter). Isn't there a consulting agreement between the two companies for a number of years? sesame street on the other hand...