New Muppet series in development for Disney's 2019 streaming service

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarneyNedward

Reaction score
I hear that if Disney is allowed by the justice department to buy Fox then all future Fantasic Four and X-Men movies will be part of the MCU.
I actually like the Michael Chiklis F4 movies. I wish that instead of that awful reboot, that they had just recast the roles of Reed, Sue and Johnny with similar looking and acting but younger actors to make a third movie. Chiklis should still have been the Thing.

MWoO

Reaction score
Like I said Bob Iger said 20th Century Fox will still make rated R movies I am sure the shows wont change. There not Actually buying the Fox Network just 20th Century Fox so there movies and TV but not The Fox Network but definitely there shows including Bobs Burgers, The Family Guy, The Simpsons, The Orville, The X Files and 24 The shows will stay the same so will the movies. There getting Deadpool, The Alien Franchise including Predator and Planet Of The Apes X Men and any future Logan movie and The Fantastic Four. none of those films or TV will change Disney wants to make money. I have been happy with Pixar Star Wars and Marvel and Disney Animation Studios. I do wish Disney would do more with the Muppets I loved the 2011 movie still remember seeing on Thanksgiving weekend and I loved Muppets Most Wanted and I loved the ABC show in 2015! but really are they doing any less with the Muppets then before Disney bought the Muppets in 2004? I honestly think its about the same?
I think Disney is actually doing less with them now than the JHC did with them. Pre-Disney they did AVMMC, KSY, MWoO, Muppet Party Cruise. They had a heavy merch presence in specialty stores and a critically acclaimed and fairly successful action figure line that made it to 9 series, although just barely.

Disney picked up steam in 2009 with YouTube and then road that to the 2011 movie which did amazingly well. MMW, the only direct sequel the Muppets ever did that I know of, had an increased budget and a TON of promotion, but didn't even break even (if you factor in promo costs and the take from the theaters). Then they drastically changed gears with the 2015 show that lost its audience and got canceled. Again, Disney put a ton into promotion and got nothing back.

Since the show ended Disney has done.... what exactly? They did terrible weekly YouTube videos, released backlogged Pigs In Space videos, and did some live shows. The live shows were great, but small potatoes even if they did sell out. The Hollywood Bowl holds 17,500. The O2 holds 20,000. They were also basically the only Muppet performances since the 2015 show.

I love the Muppets and think they have a ton of potential if used right, but Disney has no idea what to do with them at the moment. I don't think the general audience knows what they want from them either. TM2011 was basically a pity party for the Muppets. Great movie, but that's basically what it was. It played on nostalgia more than anything. MMW was great in its own right and didn't play on nostalgia as much, and then bombed. The 2015 show went totally opposite of TM2011 and that bombed.

Sorry, went on a tangent...again...

TLDR; Disney is doing less with the Muppets right now than JHC did just before they sold them off. Disney has no idea what to do with them because the Muppets don't have a multi-billion dollar built in fan base like Star Wars and Marvel.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
When do you guys think we'll get a teaser trailer for the new Netflix Muppets series?

MWoO

Reaction score
Um.... There hasn't been any news on anything especially with Netflix, so I'm guessing closer to never.
The service launches in approx 1 year. If there is still going to be a Muppet Show i would guess we would hear official word of it starting to film 6 to 3 months prior to the service going live. We already know about the clone wars show, but that is 3d animated so it takes more time to develop.

Personally, i dont think we will see a Muppet series on this service. Maybe we will see them film an ending to the 2015 series, but i dont think they will do a full series.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I think Disney is actually doing less with them now than the JHC did with them. Pre-Disney they did AVMMC, KSY, MWoO, Muppet Party Cruise. They had a heavy merch presence in specialty stores and a critically acclaimed and fairly successful action figure line that made it to 9 series, although just barely.

Disney picked up steam in 2009 with YouTube and then road that to the 2011 movie which did amazingly well. MMW, the only direct sequel the Muppets ever did that I know of, had an increased budget and a TON of promotion, but didn't even break even (if you factor in promo costs and the take from the theaters). Then they drastically changed gears with the 2015 show that lost its audience and got canceled. Again, Disney put a ton into promotion and got nothing back.

Since the show ended Disney has done.... what exactly? They did terrible weekly YouTube videos, released backlogged Pigs In Space videos, and did some live shows. The live shows were great, but small potatoes even if they did sell out. The Hollywood Bowl holds 17,500. The O2 holds 20,000. They were also basically the only Muppet performances since the 2015 show.

I love the Muppets and think they have a ton of potential if used right, but Disney has no idea what to do with them at the moment. I don't think the general audience knows what they want from them either. TM2011 was basically a pity party for the Muppets. Great movie, but that's basically what it was. It played on nostalgia more than anything. MMW was great in its own right and didn't play on nostalgia as much, and then bombed. The 2015 show went totally opposite of TM2011 and that bombed.

Sorry, went on a tangent...again...

TLDR; Disney is doing less with the Muppets right now than JHC did just before they sold them off. Disney has no idea what to do with them because the Muppets don't have a multi-billion dollar built in fan base like Star Wars and Marvel.
I remember Frank Oz saying something like that too and to add to that, The muppets Wizard of Oz Debuted in the Spring of 2005 almost a year after Disney bought the muppets.

MWoO

Reaction score
The Muppets Wizard of Oz was basically a transition piece that was already in the works before the sale. It was still pretty much a JHC piece but with some Disney influence via scripte changes. I think that is why it was such a weird movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.