New Muppet series in development for Disney's 2019 streaming service

Status
Not open for further replies.

cahuenga

Reaction score
Yep, if this is really happening, I don't care what it's on, i'm just excited for a new show. As for the writer, I really hope they pick a Muppet writer to be the head. Not to mention, if they want this to be a success the performers need to have some say in how the characters are portrayed.
Also, less important wish list: I really hope they keep Miss Piggy's character development from the end of the last show.
I also really hope that Yolanda, Chip, and Gloria Estefan (penguin) continue as main or recurring characters.
There were a couple of YT videos that came out last year with Robin and Walter, and those were actually really fun and cute. I'd love for that to continue, although it might not work now that Peter Linz plays both of them. Also, I think Walter still technically being the new kid, it would be interesting if he and Scooter formed a close bond, with them both being kind of nerdy and relatively normal compared to the others. Scooter can kind of help Walter navigate the insanity going on around him.
I've said this before but, my favorite part of The Muppet Show was not the sketches, but the backstage plots. To me, seeing the characters really play off each other as themselves was always funny and often had the most clever humor in the show. Unfortunately, most of the backstage plots were pushed to the sidelines by the sketches and the guest stars, so as a result they often ended up feeling rushed and anti-climactic. So, if I were in charge of the new show, it would be more of the stuff going on back stage, and maybe like two sketches. I still think exploring the characters' personal lives could be interesting and give them layers, but make it less adult.
I think the last episodes of Muppets Tonight its what would work better for the muppets nowadays, with the classic characters, the second season of MT was all new characters, with Kermit, Gonzo etc making cameos and with basically no Frank Oz characters.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
Even then, I don't think any of the Muppet shows have ever technically had different canons from each other, aside from Muppet Babies.
The movies, on the other hand are a totally different situation.
What are you talking about muppet treasure island and muppets from space are so similar :smile:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I think the last episodes of Muppets Tonight its what would work better for the muppets nowadays, with the classic characters, the second season of MT was all new characters, with Kermit, Gonzo etc making cameos and with basically no Frank Oz characters.
I would like to see slightly more emphasis on different characters. I mean, it's been Kermit and Miss Piggy's will they/won't they/they are/are they/used to be relationship for 40 years now. It's an interesting dynamic, but I would like them to put a little less emphasis on it.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
If it is a direct reboot from the 2015, it means we will most definitely see a recast of Rizzo (presumably Peter). While the circumstances surrounding it are unfortunate, it is really nice that Peter is finally getting the characters and recognition he deserves.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
YAAAAAYYYY!!! Just thinking a few days ago how much I miss the Muppets being in the spotlight nowadays and then this gets announced! I gotta admit, I did not see this coming!

But yeah, this is great news, and I think that streaming is definitely the way to go with the Muppets; standard television, unfortunately, is really going downhill I'm afraid. Like Pig's Laundry said, I really hope they continue with Piggy's character development, and I am also looking forward to seeing Piggy and Matt Vogel's Kermit together for real this time! Wow, this news really made my day! :smile: :excited:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Great to see that Disney is still doing stuff with The Muppets, and also isn't just having them star in preschool stuff. We'll have to wait and see if this new show will continue the muppets. or if it will be a clean slate. I'm hoping more of the former myself.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I will certainly get the new Disney streaming service just to see this! Let's hope they have Jim Lewis or Kirk Thatcher be a part of the writing team. Even if this show isn't a continuation of the ABC series, they could still keep some of the things from that show. After all in the Hollywood Bowl show, Scooter brought up his mom's boyfriend Ken. So maybe Sam will still have a crush on Janice.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also, a Monsters Inc. series sounds interesting. As long as they don't actually go through with full ideas from the DTV sequel that was going to get made after Pixar almost split ways and before Disney bought them, that would be neat. Buzz Lightyear of Star Command was an awesome show, so that one does have promise. :smile:

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Awesome news, but I do wonder...how much promotion will Disney put into this new show given what happen to the last Muppet themed show ? :embarrassed:

Status
Not open for further replies.