New Muppet Pilot in Development by Randall Einhorn (The Office, Modern Family) for ABC

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have the utmost faith in the performers, just please, writers, don't mess it up!!
Again, this is where I think we have some of the problems with have with the Muppets right now is that Disney isn't utilizing actual Muppet writers or other Muppet people for these new projects, and instead, are turning to writers, producers, and directors from other popular shows that differ significantly from the Muppets. Are there some kind of contractual issues that are prohibiting people like Jim Lewis or Kirk Thatcher from getting involved with these projects, or is Disney in the mindset that in order to get the Muppets to appeal to today's viewers they need to get writers from today's shows?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Exactly. Before Once Upon a Time would be the best Sunday slot. That would put it in the America's Funniest Home Videos position, but that show has slid around before.

Let me see. Looking at this week's ABC lineup...

Monday at 8 they have Dancing with the Stars. They could pop the Muppets in that slot during its off season unless there's something more important that fills that slot.

Tuesday at 8 they have back to back Fresh Off the Boat. The Muppets could take one of those slots.

Wednesday at 8 they have The Middle. One of the cast, the oldest son, is reportedly leaving that show to be in a CBS pilot. It could be canceled. More room for Muppets as a lead in for Goldbergs and Modern Family.

Thursday at 8 is Grey's Anatomy in its final season. That usually leads into the Shonda Rhimes block of shows. Might not be the best fit, but it'll be open next season.

Friday at 8 and 8:30 they play Last Man Standing and Cristela. That's a dreaded spot that shows usually go to die, but ABC has floated stuff there before for years (hence Last Man Standing and Cristela). It's the least attractive option, but it's an option.

Saturday at 8 they play Shark Tank. That's slid around to different slots before. I feel the same about Saturdays as I do Fridays, but who knows. They could make that a comedy night that leads into SNL. Still not desirable.

Sunday at 7 and 8 they play AFV followed by Once Upon a Time. Again, they could bump AFV to a different slot or bump OUaT to 9 in order to squeeze the Muppets in. Right now 9pm belongs to a short-run series followed by Revenge which is hemorrhaging viewers.

So, there you go. Of course there are a lot of new pilots that will take these prime spots, but the new Muppet Show is a pilot too. There's opportunity. ABC is willing to shoot this, they'd be willing to find a place for it. :smile:
So lets just say the middle is cancelled or moved, they are not going to put the muppets at 8pm, it can not be a lead in, its a new show, there is a small chance it could fail in the ratings, a smart choice would be this.

8:00pm The Goldbergs
8:30pm Muppets 2015
9:00pm Modern Family
9:30pm Black Ish

For the pilot, Muppets 2015 should air here, just to have a really strong lead in, then move to 8:30 and so black ish has a spot.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Yes, because God forbid we give a Muppet show the dreaded TV-G rating, that's for kids, kids don't want to watch anything with a TV-G rating, and parents don't want to have to sit through a TV-G rated show with their kids.
Nothing on prime time is TV-G, most likely it gets a TV-PG rating, I mean that is what VMX got and that Lady Gaga Muppets thing got a TV-PG-D, so that seems fine.

SpookyMania

Reaction score
I think Sunday nights would be perfect for a future show. Either before or after AFV, since that's a great family show and the Muppets would make a pretty nice "companion" to it.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Again, this is where I think we have some of the problems with have with the Muppets right now is that Disney isn't utilizing actual Muppet writers or other Muppet people for these new projects, and instead, are turning to writers, producers, and directors from other popular shows that differ significantly from the Muppets. Are there some kind of contractual issues that are prohibiting people like Jim Lewis or Kirk Thatcher from getting involved with these projects, or is Disney in the mindset that in order to get the Muppets to appeal to today's viewers they need to get writers from today's shows?
Thatcher and Barretta always bring the funny to the Muppets. I'd imagine they'll be attached to the production in the long term.

Mister Muppet

Reaction score
This is Great news, I really have a lot of hope for this project and can wait to see how it turns out. I also like the concept of Fozzie having a girlfriend :embarrassed: (I can Imagine him being really shy around her)
I won't be able to watch this as it is not on in the UK.:frown:
Don't worry I'm sure a UK network will show it also

jvcarroll

Reaction score
So lets just say the middle is cancelled or moved, they are not going to put the muppets at 8pm, it can not be a lead in, its a new show, there is a small chance it could fail in the ratings, a smart choice would be this.

8:00pm The Goldbergs
8:30pm Muppets 2015
9:00pm Modern Family
9:30pm Black Ish

For the pilot, Muppets 2015 should air here, just to have a really strong lead in, then move to 8:30 and so black ish has a spot.
While I disagree with the idea that the Muppets can't be a lead-in, I listed 8pm as an hour block where the half hour could fit anyway. The closer to the family hour the better for the Muppets.