New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
True, but it wasn't that Jim and co. didn't want to produce "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made" it's that at the time it was thought of it was late 1989 after JHH got cancelled, and then the Disney deal came leaving little time to plan TCMMEM, and I believe the movie was in its very early stages when Jim Henson passed away leading the muppets back to square one. It makes you wonder, what if Jim Henson didn't die in 1990, what would be the muppets' status now?
"Cheapest" was first developed in 1985, a few years before JHH even began production. After Jim died, there was still talk of doing it.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
In no way am I saying Disney is doing everything wrong. They're definitely doing a lot of things the way they should be done, or, in some cases, the only way they can be done in this day and age. I just wish we had real BTS features, interviews with the current generation of Muppet Performers, and, hey, a bit of talk about the history would be nice. There are a lot of things the general public still doesn't know. Heck, I was reading an article about the tragic death of John Henson, and there were a lot of comments like, "JUST LIKE HIS FATHER - DIED OF AIDS-RELATED COMPLICATIONS. WE'LL MISS THEM." and "FRANK OZ IS GREAT AS MISS PIGGY. HE CAN STILL DO THE VOICE IN THE NEW MOVIE. I HOPE WE DON'T LOSE HIM TOO."
That's a good point, too.

Such comments tend to get annoying.

Then again, even if they did more BTS stuff, some of those people will still be blind and/or ignorant anyway.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
It was the Kevin Clash issues in late 2012.
So, that's what he was referring to. Okay. And very true too.

I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing were to end up discouraging Disney from showing or exposing the Muppeteers in behind-the-scenes stuff even further and continuing their decision to portray them as "real" even longer.

On second thought, I think someone needs to ask the Muppeteers themselves what they think about not being interviewed for BTS documentaries and the like. Knowing the Muppeteers, I'm certain that they'll be likely to be humble about it all, but it would still be nice to ask them personally about how they feel about the Muppets being portrayed as "real" more than ever and not revealing them as much as they used to.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Don't forget, though, that Henson also did a lot of Behind the Scenes style documentaries, and we have a wealth of production photos.

Disney keeps everything on the DL. All the "BTS" junk is usually the puppets making cutesy remarks and the co-stars pretending they're actually dealing with non-humans.

In no way am I saying Disney is doing everything wrong. They're definitely doing a lot of things the way they should be done, or, in some cases, the only way they can be done in this day and age. I just wish we had real BTS features, interviews with the current generation of Muppet Performers, and, hey, a bit of talk about the history would be nice. There are a lot of things the general public still doesn't know. Heck, I was reading an article about the tragic death of John Henson, and there were a lot of comments like, "JUST LIKE HIS FATHER - DIED OF AIDS-RELATED COMPLICATIONS. WE'LL MISS THEM." and "FRANK OZ IS GREAT AS MISS PIGGY. HE CAN STILL DO THE VOICE IN THE NEW MOVIE. I HOPE WE DON'T LOSE HIM TOO."

The Muppets did a fair amount of palling around with costars who pretended they were real in Jim's day. In fact, MOST of it was precisely that. Most of the dealings with the post-Jim Muppets under Henson ownership were that way too.

Disney certainly does have a different way of dealing with their characters. All the performers are credited so that should be enough. I wish they did some behind the scenes items with the performers. Maybe they eventually will. I'm not going to freak about about it.

As for the public's ignorance about performers, that exists no matter what. It's not Disney's fault. And a big reason why Disney doesn't put "created by Jim Henson" on any of its modern items is likely as much Henson Co's decision as it is Disney's. I support constructive criticism when it's due. I just don't see much to gripe about here.

Now, if you want to talk about the lack of product on the shelves, that's a good debate! :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
"Cheapest" was first developed in 1985, a few years before JHH even began production. After Jim died, there was still talk of doing it.
If it took them that long to get the project to work and it was still abandoned, you have to think there was something about it that wasn't working, no matter what they did.

But over all, I just don't see the project working for anything over a half hour TV special. No matter how funny the jokes about how they're running out of money are, they'd get very tired half-way through.

Now, if you want to talk about the lack of product on the shelves, that's a good debate! :wink:
Which is freaking ridiculous, but hey... at least we got Subway's cheap, lame tote bags (that are too small to carry anything) to look forward to. :rolleyes:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
A promo that aired (presumably on Disney): SPOILERS

You think having Annie Sue and Mildred as obscure? Well, there's an even more obscure one in this clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.