New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuppetGeek

Reaction score
Yea and dont forget Monsters University teaser trailer was out a whole year before it will be out in cinemas but I bet the muppets will be doing something at D23

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Some footage will FOR SURE be shown at the D23 Expo or/and San Diego's Comic Con. I doubt Comic Con though, since when Disney has their own Expo, they tend to keep all their Disney-goodies exclusively in D23 itself.

I'll be seeing Monsters University on June 19! I'll let you know if any trailers are before it....

(Actually, maybe I won't. It should be a surprise. :wink: )

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yea and dont forget Monsters University teaser trailer was out a whole year before it will be out in cinemas but I bet the muppets will be doing something at D23
Again, Pixar has made Teaser trailers quite some time in advance, and I suspect they were originally created as pilots/test films in the first place. Last time, The Muppets came out in November, but didn't even get a teaser until POTC 4 came out. I'd suspect whatever cartoon film they have in November might have the teaser.

sofiasaldanha

Reaction score
I was super excited when I heard that a new movie muppets would leave so early, but at the same time thought that a work so rushed can go wrong

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was super excited when I heard that a new movie muppets would leave so early, but at the same time thought that a work so rushed can go wrong
I used to think that way too, until I remembered GMC came out only 2 years after TMM. And MTM a more sizable 3 years after.

I think the same, i mean when we are talking about the muppets, Frank Oz is the expert
I know Frank had some qualms about the script on the first one, but let's face it, he didn't exactly give them any input on it either. He's understandably busy and the writers and film makers made the attempt to contact him... but he offered no advise on making the script better. I doubt he had the free time to take a pass at the script this time either. While his opinions are valid as his opinion especially since he used to be with The Muppets, he didn't have any involvement in any manner of guidance to change that.

cjd874

Reaction score
I used to think that way too, until I remembered GMC came out only 2 years after TMM. And MTM a more sizable 3 years after.

I know Frank had some qualms about the script on the first one, but let's face it, he didn't exactly give them any input on it either. He's understandably busy and the writers and film makers made the attempt to contact him... but he offered no advise on making the script better. I doubt he had the free time to take a pass at the script this time either. While his opinions are valid as his opinion especially since he used to be with The Muppets, he didn't have any involvement in any manner of guidance to change that.
That's true. GMC, in my opinion, outdid TMM in terms of plot development and puppet-related technology (the bike ride in the park, Piggy's water ballet scene, the broken bed gag, multiple vehicles being driven by the Muppets). So in some cases, with the right people involved, a follow-up movie can work out all right. Let's just hope that in the case of The Muppets...Again, the right people are involved and can deliver something that casual & die hard fans can enjoy.

Considering that Frank Oz spends less than one week out of the year working on Sesame Street (usually as one-shot characters like the Don Draper Muppet or Carson the Butler), I agree that he'd have no time for the Muppets...Again script. He has new priorities: directing movies, getting his kids through school, & spending time with his new wife. And there were a lot of things he didn't like about the 2011 movie. I think he said it wasn't edgy enough, not the way Jim would have wanted it...hopefully the next movie can be a bit different in that regard.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The subcontext I got out of what Frank said was that the movie played the characters too safely and made them slaves to continuity, all the while imitating prior projects. And to some extent he's right about that... but that's the way the movie needed to be. If they did something way too daring, they would have lost the crowd that hasn't been with the Muppets for some time. I wonder too if part of that was to blame for hearing they were considering the Cheapest movie, and going with The Muppets instead...

Now, Cheapest may be a great concept, but you have to wonder how you can pull off one joke for 90 minutes and not have it completely fall apart and get stale. Seems like there's a reason why the film was abandoned. Daring, but a gamble that could fall through just as much as it could have succeeded. Plus, let's face it. Without the fresh outsider perspective (as fan ficy you could call the film), we would have had VMX style pop culture jokes (funny, but easily too dated and WAAAAAY too overdosed), and I'm sure Disney would have forced more tween star cameos in the film than what we had. Having a film star on board kinda gave the project some creative freedom that most directors can't get unless they're big names. All and all, the movie was the movie we needed to reboot the franchise, tell people the characters are still relevant, and give the fans some MUCH needed fanservice (the G rated kind)... especially since some of the last projects, the fans were the last thing that were thought of. We know which telefilm I'm referring to, and I needn't mention it again.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
EDIT: I'm not even sure why I bother trying to post. Someone with the same thoughts always gets ther before me, and expresses them better than I ever could.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I get what he said, alright... still... not bringing forth any suggestions or addressing specific problems...kinda out of your hands. I mean, creators of characters that get bought into movie rights with terrible movies they can't do a thing about can only dream of that sort of interaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.