New Muppet CD Title and Track List

radionate

Reaction score
For Petrieboy Re: I hate to be a grouch but...

Originally posted by petrieboy
This compilation is pretty great for someone who's not a big Muppet fan. In fact it's near perfect.
Are you from Albuquerque originally? The only reason I ask is that I lived there for most of the 80's and you are around my age, and I was just curious if any of the muppet geeks I went to school with and lost touch with wound up on MC.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I'm very excited. Rhino has done an excellent job with other properties in the past, such as soundtracks for the Hanna-Barbera cartoon library, MST3K videos and DVDs, and Monkees videos and CDs. (OK, they've actually dropped the ball a number of times with the Monkees, regarding outrageously inaccurate information in the liner notes, occasionally using tracks that were not the masters, not putting out songs that the fans are interested in hearing and boring us with multiple takes of the same darn song with minute differences. BUT they've brought a lot of rare songs to the surface that wouldn't have been heard otherwise, they got the entire series released on video, and they've done good jobs with everything else they've released. Chalk up the problems to certain individuals in the company rather than the company as a whole.)

OK, did I just go off on an insanely long tangent about the Monkees? ::rolls eyes:: Sorry about that. But it is somewhat relevant to the discussion.

I'd also like to go on record as saying I love the title. The Muppets have always spoofed pop culture! This is what they SHOULD be doing.

I can't listen to the mp3 because the sound card doesn't work on my computer. I'm glad so many people liked the song. Of course, he can't claim legal precedence to Rhino, as he doesn't have liscence to use the characters -- Rhino does. (Yes, it's a parody and he shouldn't be in legal trouble. But if he goes to them and starts trying to cause trouble, you can be sure the lawyers will jump on that. That's just an observation. I mean no disrepect to the author of the song.)

I like the track list. Some unusual choices on there -- but then they're trying to avoid criticism of being the same old rehashed greatest-hits CD, so I applaud them for reaching out to the fans with a few quirky choices.

Songs I would have liked to have seen on there:
--"Just One Person," either the Bernadette Peters version or (better still) the one from The Muppets Remember Jim Henson. (Yeah, technically not TMS, but close enough!)
--"Cottleston Pie" or something else by Rowlf...perhaps the most glaring ommission. (Actually, my first choice is a really funny one called "--, You and I" or something like that, but I can't remember the exact title anymore. Rowlf says at the beginning. "This song only sold two copies. -- bought one and I bought one. Where were you?")
--"One-Man Band" (I think that's the title) by Scooter, from the Mark Hammill episode.
--"Rockin' Robin," by Janice and the band. (Animal: "Tweet tweet tweet.")
--"Couldn't We Ride" from GMC rather than "The First Time It Happens." There aren't really Muppets singing throughout a lot of "First," and the bike ride is one of the most memorable scenes from GMC.
--"Saying Goodbye" from TMTM. (In fact, the whole soundtrack from TMTM! It's my favorite one. But I'll take what I can get for now.)
--Rather than "One More Sleep till Christmas" from MCC, I would have picked "It Feels Like Christmas." In fact, rather than the one from the movie, I would use the one from the Ed Sullivan Show, which featured Kermit, Robin, Piggy, etc. (even Bunsen and Beaker) singing!

Anyway, those are the revisions I would have suggested. But as Luke said, they don't want to weigh it down with too many slow songs, and there's always hope for a vol. 2, etc.

I've heard the new "I'm Going to Go..." is terrible -- only on the soundtrack, cut from the movie. But I haven't heard it yet. I understand they wanted to represent MFS in some way, and they don't actually sing on "Brickhouse" or most of the other music. This one also ties back to TMM, so it's a logical choice. But if there is a vol. 2, and they decide not to include any tracks from MFS, I won't be hurt and offended.

(Hey, how about a track or two from Muppets Tonight and The Jim Henson Hour on a vol. 2?)

Random question: "We Got Us" -- is that the song from the end of the Lola Falana episode?

Random observation: Fozzie's monologue -- which bit will they use, I wonder? I'm putting my money on the "Good grief, the comedian's a bear!" routine, since Kermit is listed as well. It could be the ventriloquist bit, but that relies a lot more on the sight gag element.

Anyway, for whatever odd reason, I don't currently own any Muppet CDs (not counting the Labyrinth CD). THIS one, though, I'll be sure to pick up.

P.S. What IS "Lullaby of Birdland," anyway?

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
The announcement of a new "Best of" album is very exciting! As somebody who didn't grow up on The Muppet Show, the idea of a CD compilation consisting of some of its greatest hits is, to put it mildly, awesome!!
And We also get a few hit numbers from the films!
Something that puzzles me; Why aren't "all" six movies represented? Of the three newest Henson muppet features, only MUPPETS FROM SPACE is represented.
This is my only gripe, though and, judging by the entire collection, it isn't a very big one!
I do agree with a previous poster who said that a CD box set should be released in the future. That'd be great!
Better yet, a "Jim Henson's Greatest Hits" collection featuring theme songs, clips & hits from The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Muppet Babies, Dinosaurs, Bear in the Big Blue House, The Christmas Toy, Storyteller, Buddy, Jack & the Beanstalk, Muppets Tonight, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, and all six muppet movies. And A bonus disc with interviews would be cool.
Well ... I can dream, can't I?!?!

Daniel:smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Definite A level release!

About the album
Okay, I know we all wanted re-issues and it would have made sense to release them along with the DVDs but this offereing is sure exciting. I would have changed the playlist too, but it is quite comprehensive. I wish they could release an album with the songs performed with guest stars but it may be impossible to get all the rights. Maybe if they did it for charity?

I agree, Saying Goodbye should have been on the playlist though I also agree with Luke that this is likely an attempt for the disc to stay upbeat. And key songs need to be left for a future re-issue. If this takes off we can count on it.

"Love Led Us Here" is not the MTI song I would pick either. "Cabin Fever" or "Sailing For Adventure" makes more sense to me.

"Simon Smith" made it on! Very happy about that. Nothing from Rocky Mountain Holiday. Oh, well. I would have liked "Couln't We Ride" or "Steppin' Out" from GMC, but "The First Time" makes sense as it was Oscar nominated. It really is a great line-up anyway. I can't wait to see the cover art!

theGreatLukeSki
That was some great stuff! Any chance you'd do more material like that? Welcome to the board!

trekkie1701E
It's good to hear you are so excitied about this release and your boxed set idea is really cool! I think many of us wanted re-issues as well. Technicallly all 6 films were represented on this disc (though "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday" remake only appeared on the Muppets From Space soundtrack. Unfortunately there was no original music in that film. But "One More Sleep Till Christmas" was performed in Muppet Christmas Carol and " Love Led Us Here" was featured in Muppet Treasure Island. They may not be the songs I would choose, but they are good too.

Ryan

Reaction score
Overall, I'm pretty upset with the compilation. It wouldn't hurt them to put more new stuff on there (Unreleased tracks). Here's what I would have liked to see on this CD:

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"-Floyd
"Comedy Tonight!"-Frackles
"I Get By"-Janice, fer sher
"Friendship"-Kermit and Robin (and the Whales)
" Six String Orchestra"-Scooter
"Waiting at the Church"- Piggy and Kermit
"The Entertainer"-Miss Piggy
"We've Got Each Other"-Robin and Sweetums
"The Tomorrow Song"- Jim Henson Jug Band
"That's Entertainment"-Pigs
"There's No Buisness Like Show Buisness"-Ethel Merman and the Muppets
"Hugga Wugga"-Hugga Wugga

For sketches:
"Roundtable Discussion: Peter Ustinov"
"At The Dance" (any one that was unreleased)
"Vets' Hospital: Fozzie"
"Pigs in Space" ANY!

JHC, Work with us here! C'mon!:mad:

Ryan

Reaction score
theGreatLukeSki

AWESOME SONG! I love it man! Some of those impressions are dead on! It's nice to see someone do a G rated Muppet parody. Yeah, I'm just so sick of searching for MP3's and only getting Adam Sandler's "Kermit and Big Bird get high"
:mad:

Ick~

Reaction score
"Who Let The Frog Out?" song responses

Hey everyone!

I'm happy that everyone seems to like the song! I just e-mailed it to Phillip, and hopefully it will make it onto Muppet Central Radio soon. If it does make it onto MCR, then maybe I'll post the lyrics here so you can pick up on all the hidden jokes.

For those who are interested in picking up their own copy of it, you can find out info on that at my website, www.LukeSki.com . The song is on my newest CD release "Uber Geek". For those of you who were interested in my past work, my previous 3 CDs "Carpe Dementia", "Fanboys 'n da Hood", and "Shadows of the Bunghole" are also available there, and they contain song parodies about Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY), the Star Wars Trilogy, Pinky and the Brain, Space Ghost: Coast To Coast & Cartoon Planet (BRAK!), the Simpsons, Beavis & Butthead, King of the Hill, South Park, WWF, Sienfeld, Titanic, Back To The Future, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Mystery Science Theatre 3000, Men In Black, Flintstones, Hamlet, Pulp Fiction, ID4, Ranma 1/2, Jay & Silent Bob, and lots more. "Who Let The Frog Out?" is my only song about the Muppets, but obviously I have done more parody tribute songs about other cool stuff that lots of fan-persons would like. And of couse I should mention that several of the songs have been big hits on "The Dr. Demento Show". So, go check it out! :smile:

As far as the InConJunction convention in Indianapolis is concerned, they always seem to have their convention on a weekend when I have other committments and cant make it. If they contacted me about perfoming at their convention as a special guest of honor or something, I could probably commit to an appearance. If not, then you'll have to wait til August 2003 to see me at GenCon when it moves to Indianapolis. Speaking of GenCon, it's this weekend in Milwaukee, and I will be performing a set of songs at their costume contest, so if you're planning on being there, come on down and see the show! I will be performing "Who Let The Frog Out?" there live on stage!

I don't intend to take any legal action against Rhino (my FAVORITE record company), after all, they're just using the phrase as a title, it's not like they're doing their own version of the song parody. Doing song parodies is legal, and as far as the whole "doing songs about copywrited characters" issue is concerned, I'm not worried, because "Frog" is just one track on a 74 minute / 24 track CD, which also contains songs about Star Wars: Episodes I & II, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel, Married With Children, Futurama, SpiderMan, PokeMon, Keanu Reeves, Dr. Demento & Weird Al, and dozens of other pop-culture references. So, it's just one small part of the album. If the whole album was songs about the Muppets, then I'd be concerned about Bear on Patrol coming to lock me up.

Although, if the Baha Men are going to make a guest appearance on the new Muppet Show, and they'd like to use my lyrics to make an authentic Muppet / Baha Men version of the song, I'd love to talk with the Muppet honchos about that possibility, though I'd imagine that would be quite a long shot. Maybe if there's another Muppet Fest convention, I could show up and perform it in one of the talent contests.

By the way, the "Kermit and Big Bird get high" comedy piece is *NOT* by Adam Sandler. It is by "Ned & Manson", and is actually titled "Sensimilla Street", from their CD "Everybody's Free To Smoke Marijuana". I like Adam Sandler, and even though he likes to get lowbrow, I don't think he would ever step as low as Ned & Manson do. Remember, when downloading comedy from any MP3 sharing programs (Napster, Morpheus, Kazaa, etc.), that a lot of the time the MP3s are mislabeled and credited to the wrong artists, simple because people don't care and don't know any better. The best example of this is if you type in "Weird Al" in their search engines, 95% of what you find are not by Al, and are lame parodies about sex, drugs, and other stuff that Al wouldn't touch with a 27 foot pole. For more on that visit this page: http://internet.cybermesa.com/~dincht/etc/notal.html . But enough about that, just doing a little PSA. :smile:

Well, that's it for now. Thanks for welcoming me to your forum! Talk to you all again soon! :smile:

PS: Will Digit ever come back? I hope so.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Gosh Luke, what a great song!!

*sigh*

I must say, I truly envy you right now...you seem to be doin' somethin' you love, and I think that's wonderful. I have a new job, but it's not a dream of mine, as doin' song parodies is. I had some success on my college campus, but nothin' like my own freakin' CD and Weird Al conventions! lol

I don't have any Muppety material (yet, anyway), but I love to do this is in some spare time, and maybe someday this dream'll become a reality for me, too...

Thanks for sharin', pal...

zns

Reaction score
J. Henson Rocks

I,ll have to get that CD someday. Thanks for telling us about it Phil.

radionate

Reaction score
Luke,

Welcome to the Board!!!!!! I'm excited. When I have time this weekend or Monday, I'm gonna look at your site and listen to the songs, I'm really excited. Here's my question, do you have any EPs available or just full length CD's?