New Members: Please Post and Introduce Yourself

Reaction score
I'm kind of forum challenged. Now that I've introduced myself, where do I go from here? I'm currently making an Elmo and need some advice on body construction (pattern). I already have the 'skull' and nose built and have boiled some of the fur...I'm having to cut pieces and boil them piece by piece to fit in the pot , and I have a limited amount of fur and can't get more so I don't want to waste it by cutting the body wrong. He will be wearing a removable costume, so I'm looking for advice on muppet clothing as well, a coat in particular. Are there particular forums for those questions? As for pictures, that's me and the Wookie Monster in my profile pic. I've got two weeks to finish this and other projects for DragonCon, so I'm sewing like mad, but after the con is over I hope to spend a lot more time on this site. This site is great! We are planning a group of costumed muppets for next year. My son is about to get his degree in film and plans to do a short for DC*TV next year..."The Muppets Go To DragonCon". So....which way do I go?

Josefus

Reaction score
hello! i've been lurking for a few months now, but i thought i should introduce myself. I love Jim Henson & comic books. I am currently developing my own puppet television show very much inspired by these things.

my avatar is a picture of my newest puppet, Foxi. he's the star of a music video that I shot in Berlin a couple months back. I will post the video in the news section in just a moment, but here I will post a link to my facebook artist page where you can see behind the scenes stuff, and I hope some of you will come check out my art & puppets. and 'like' the page of course :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/joeSEEfuss

MagicFractal

Reaction score
1984-5 when I was employed by Lucasfilm Computer Div. (doing games at that time), I made most of the scrolling background graphics for their "Labyrinth" game based on the David Bowie movie. Though not much of a fan of David Bowie or the movie, my lifelong interest in puppets and robotics and admiration for the good that Henson and Muppets have done brought me here as I Googled to learn what's new in the technical dimension of entertainment robotics. Decades ago the best options for affordable prototype controllers was through computer printer parallel/serial ports, and I gained experienced with those for biomedical prototypes, my primary work in the 1990's. These days the potentials are exciting thanks to kits and modules that interface via fast USB. Mostly on a hobby basis I've dabbled in doll house designs, advertising displays, puppet theater design, and exploring ideas for robotics for children.

Please direct me to your best spot for discussing anything resembling these topics.

Hubert

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, everyone who I have not yet welcomed! Hope you all like it here.

MagicFractal

Reaction score
A golden Labyrinth theater poster is beautiful on my wall, worthy of praise. I did see one miniature Labyrinth set up close at Industrial Light & Magic.

I should also mention I contracted with Disney and I.L.M. in the early 1980s, but nothing high profile. I never aspired to be a star, always sought to play with the technical toys, share with others, and express creations artistically. I still do.

I would have added this to my first post, but the edit button evaporates after a while.

I intend to be helpful here and not possessive of idea properties (rather mine be copied than forgotten). In 1964 at Brown University I heard writer Isaac Asimov advise young researchers to never design oneself into a project and never deliberately make its success dependent on you. It's exactly the opposite of corporate climbing savvy where turf is secured by secrecy. Later, in the realm of I.L.M., every talented member of a project was generally capable of every aspect, and inevitably arrived at frequent similar conclusions, for a while causing conflicts as members each KNEW it was their idea. Masterful management convinced them to be more selfless and understand that many common ideas will be inevitable to those immersed in a field, and thereafter they worked together with less conflict. The.end.