Muppets to appear in Disney Channel TV special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Reaction score
This "child" stars are accepted because they entertain kids without making them actually think... just make them conformist sheeps.
I don't like them any more than you do but just because the kids like them and they are a bit dumbed down from what we used to see doesn't make the kids "sheep". Although they have probably been born into watching these kind of style things thats just how times have changed, they arent forced to watch. Also most of the stuff around is just modernized versions of the stuff we had, whoever thought up High School Musical must have been thinking Grease or Fame.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, for me this is a huge step backwards for the Muppets, they use to hang around with real talents...
Well, the Muppets did hang with some real talent... John Cleese, Christopher Reeve (who even performed a background character, or at least assisted the puppeteers at one point), Zero Mostel (who probably didn't like being on the show, but you couldn't tell)... but they also worked with a lot of sketcy performers like Bruce Forsythe (who was oozing with phoniness in that episode... he's probably wonderful in other things though), Jessica Simpson (on multiple occasions), and the cast of Dawson's Creek. Too be fare, there was a lot of post Henson stuff with dubious stars in it. And that's not even counting some of the people on Sesame Street (was their any smurfing call to have Ruben Studdard on there?)

But I agree that the Muppets shouldn't have to co-star with Disney's at the moment bunch. I hate every single one of the shows they do now. I mean, even Lizzie MaGuire was a lot more fun. And I have to admit, I liked Even Stevens (that LeBeauf kid is the only one with real talent... he was great in Indiana Jones).

And in a perfect world, the Muppets wouldn't need rinky dink projects like this. However.... this is the perfect way to expose them to the younger generation. They're all jaded and love these horrible kiddy shows (What the shell happened to cartoons?)

So, I don't want to see this, but if it means we'll see the Muppets in other projects for the adult fan base, I'm all for it.

Marky

Reaction score
Great! Now I'll check to see if there's mention on the Muppet's site! Oh wait - I can't. They, despite web-trickery, are simply NOT available in Canada. Geez, when Dis-corp doesn't want us stinky foreigners viewing their stuff - they mean business.

Oh well. I know! I'll subscribe to the Disney Channel and happily wait for this new show! Oh wait - I can't. There's no legal access for that channel in Canada.

Enjoy, my American cousins.

IgorPonweed

Reaction score
A reason to watch the Jonas Brothers? Who would have guessed? I'm excited because of Janice being present. She even talked during the trailer! JANICE! Her voice could have been better, but who cares?:flirt: I just Hope another retired muppet comes on the show *Cough :wink:* *Cough Cough :sympathy:*.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
You could also try Youtube after it airs. Maybe somebody will be in a giving mood and post some clips :smile:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Is most of the stuff on Disney Channel aimed at pre-teens? Yes. Is most stuff for pre-teens fluff pretty much devoid of serious artistic merit? Yes. Does that mean that the young stars of these shows are non-talent hacks? Not at all.

As i posted earlier in this thread, the kids themselves may not be huge innovators in the worlds of music or the most Golden Globe-worthy thespians but they are talented (to varying degrees) and many are tomorrow's stars in the earlier stages of their careers. Yeah, among them are those who were more cast for their looks or "locker-pin-up" appeal than actual talent but for the most part being the huge asset-swallowing, corporate, big bucks company that Disney is, when they embark on a project, it's not as if they're limited to a select few slim pickins' choice of who shows up to a small audition - there are large long casting calls involved where there's an immense amount of competition to win a part so the bulk of these stars have to have some amount of raw talent to make it to where they are.

Because of their ages, they probably don't know (or care) much about things like artistic integrity (most probably have stage parents who don't even teach them about such values and keep them pretty sheltered) - they know that they grew up wanting to act or sing, they got a chance, and they're famous and drawing a nice paycheck where most of their peers are working at McDonalds or still not old enough to get a job at all. Others may have a lot of intelligence and artistic drive but know that what they're doing right now is a stepping stone to where they can be later on in their career when they can get some clout to do stuff they'd prefer doing.

...and some probably are spoiled brats that got lucky and have no desire to do anything of any merit but we'll see how long they last before they self-destroy.

So just because many of these young stars are victims of the Disney fluff-producing star machine, that's not a reason to come down on the kids themselves - many are paying a price precisely because they are immensely talented and got snatched up by a system that exploits rather than nurtures talent. But all in all, the kids themselves are mostly very talented, have staying power, and in 10-20 years will be among the entertainment's community best talents who will look back at this phase of their career and cringe (while remaining thankful that at least it got them their foot in the door)

Muppet Loverr

Reaction score
Studio DC Commerical is on DisneyChannel.com - the Jonas Bros Version Clip

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Ok...I still do not understand why you people think...how you can think...that these 'child stars' to children, for children, and child-HACK stars. They have worked hard to get where they are. If they were piles-of-crap then parents and children wouldn't like them. What on earth gives us people who have gone nowhere and done nothing and who are known by no-one the right to slander them so?
Beau you may not know me or what I do but many other people across the world from america to japan know me and my work and I've busted my butt to get everything I have with the help of no one but myself.
Popular =/= Good
Just because Britney sold millions of records it doesn't make her less of a plastic/prefabricated product.
This "child" stars are accepted because they entertain kids without making them actually think... just make them conformist sheeps.
No offense, but just because you're unknown to the public eye, doesn't mean that we all are a bunch of nobodies...
So, for me this is a huge step backwards for the Muppets, they use to hang around with real talents...but nowadays seems like just because they are kids, they need to swallow this pathetic "artists"....
Sorry, I made my pont, that's it, moving on.
Rant off!
:smirk:
Yeah you've hit the nail on the head of the way the general public of america thinks if you're not currently living in this country or see the way things go on here you really have no room to talk about the stars here.
The way of new stars is talk down to your elders as if they where dumb chimps, be a total careless hoochie, drink and drugs, be wild just for attention, and be sweet when you first come out but as time goes by become a big girl and let loose and show them just what your true colors are.
This is what drives me nuts about this people they fake it for the money then go bonkers like britney because they hide who they are for years then come out and go ape on the world and everyone eats it up.:rolleyes:
Miley is heading this direction and i'm calling it right now.
Don't believe me? then just you wait and see, and if I'm wrong i'll eat my hat!

Status
Not open for further replies.