Muppets Sherlock Holmes

Slackbot

Reaction score
Hmm, it looks like they're keeping the Gonzo-head-on-Kermit's-body cover. I'd kinda hoped that bod would be redrawn.

That's one heck of a preview. I saw the first nine pages some time ago; I was surprised to see that about half the comic is online now. "Heh, cool."

Apropos of the comics redoing stories the Muppets had already dome before, I wish that meant that the comic would also tackle the Wizard of Oz, but somehow that seems very unlikely. :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Apropos of the comics redoing stories the Muppets had already dome before, I wish that meant that the comic would also tackle the Wizard of Oz, but somehow that seems very unlikely. :frown:
Well, these are stories that the Muppets only did minorly. And most of the time, they were only really done on Muppet Babies. yes, I would like a GOOD Muppet Wizard of Oz too (though, frankly, I'd rather them do Muppet Oz completely, even if they had to start at Wicked instead of just aping the Judy garland movie which EVERYBODY does).

That said, since Muppet Snow White is over, aren't we going to get news about the next Muppet Classics 4 issue arc? We usually get notice at least a series in advance/ i hope they aren't planning to end this series, since we really get a variety of writing and artistry.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I also got to ask this question, since these stories show other Muppets that aren't from the Muppet show comic, I do wonder if it ranges from other minor Muppets from every Henson Library because I felt that I saw Sesame Street's Wolfgang within the preview. :embarrassed:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It looks like this has improved since last time or there's a healthy evolution. Gonzo's nose is looking a little less Muppet Baby nubby here and Rizzo keeps looking better. I'm particularly taken with how Amy has grown into drawing Fozzie here. He looked a little odd last go-round, but his eye focus, head shape and facial ratios are the best representation from any artist thus far. While I'd prefer to see some fresh new artists on these, this is Amy's best work to date. :super:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I FINALLY was able to get this yesterday and I gotta say, I really like how this one comes together, making it quite different from all the others. As I understand, each issue is a different story (I guess in the grand scheme there are interconnected bits).

I never really got a chance to really sit down and read Sherlock or see any of the movies (I know about the aspects and basic premise... just not anything specific) so if there were any little hidden asides to other Holmes adventures, they were probably lost on me.

But they really do it justice having Gonzo instead of Kermit in the title role.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'm almost certain that Sherlock Holmes copywrite ran out recently, hence the re-boot movies and the Tom and Jerry, the Muppet version and a modernised (fantastic) tv-series of the characters set in 2010 all coming out at about the same time!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't usually trust Wackypedia, but:

The enduring popularity of Sherlock Holmes has led to hundreds of works based on the character – both adaptations into other media and original stories. After Arthur Conan Doyle's death in 1930, his works' copyright expired in the United Kingdom in 1980[42] and they are public domain in the most of the world (modern expiry term being 70 years). However the United States Copyright Act of 1976 allowed Doyle's heirs to register copyright in 1981 and it is to expire only in near future, another source saying 2023.
So they probably COULD act on it if that's the case, but I guess they can choose not to. I'm sure everything is checked out. I have never heard of seeing any (C) marks on any modern Sherlock media. Even if they did, I wish wish wish they went after DIC for Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century. Not a terrible show, but not the best thing they could have done.

GAW... I need to grab some of these books and read them. And I gotta find a way to watch the Japanese series Sherlock Hound more often. That series was a masterpiece.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Uh... should I be nervous that another series hasn't been announced to follow Sherlock Holmes yet?

Really liking this series, not as much as Snow White or King Arthur. I find it a much more fun read than Peter Pan... and I liked Peter Pan.

Second issue of this came out yesterday for those of you who didn't know (too busy with nycc to post stuff on Comic resources, I guess). It's a good issue, just... well... once I get my review on Ryan's blog, you'll see what I mean.

Liked the Danger Mouse reference a lot.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bump...

Why do I get the feeling I'm the only one killing themselves to get these things on the day they come out?

See last issue wasn't the only time they reference Danger Mouse. Hope there weren't any other Goon Show references that went over my head. I wish I saw some of that Goon Show...

Slackbot

Reaction score
I got mine today too. And... well, after reading it I feel pretty meh. It wasn't particularly Muppety to me. I miss the Muppets being themselves, grabbing the story and running with it to the horizons the way the did in MSW. I want to like this series, but even Mebberson's lovely art can't carry it all.

I wish there was another series to look forward to after this, but unless I miss my guess none has been announced.