Muppets risk of less promotion

unclematt

Reaction score
I just want to say that once again I could not disagree with you more Cantus. I think you give up way too easily. There is no reason the Muppets can not yet again become a force to be reckoned with.

All I can say is that everybody needs to tune in to The Muppets Wizard of Oz

beaker

Reaction score
unclematt said:
I just want to say that once again I could not disagree with you more Cantus. I think you give up way too easily. There is no reason the Muppets can not yet again become a force to be reckoned with.

All I can say is that everybody needs to tune in to The Muppets Wizard of Oz
Oh, I'll be tuning in alright...but it's more of a more of a morbid curiosity thing.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Gave up too easily? No, I just saw where the line should've been drawn.

If you like the current productions, that is your own view. However regardless, if you see no difference in the quality of the productions made before Jim's passing and now, there is a definite problem.

The Muppets aren't underground; they're just as you said before, "lifesupport." Not in it enough to be a current centrifical icon, but just enough that anyone you ask will utter those famous words I hate so much: "Muppets...oh yeah, I remember them! I LOVE the Muppets!" This answers the "why aren't they here" question.

You can believe whatever you want about whether or not new productions would be a good thing. If you didn't see any noticable, very large drop in overall value, then I guess you're luckier than I. I wish I too couldn't see the bigger picture on this issue.

unclematt

Reaction score
Cantus, I agree that the quality of productions is not the sme as when Jim was around but i dont believe it will never reach that height again. I am very optimistic in the fact they will be at the level they once were.

beaker

Reaction score
There's been a lot of awesome post JH stuff(for one , I think Pepe is one of the most brilliant idea for a Muppet ever) But sadly we seem to be back in the dark ages of the early 90's...when it *Seemed* like Disney in fact did buy the Muppets(Classic Theatre...ugh! And the two Disney classic retelling movies)

Maybe 2002(very muppet xmas movie) was the last time we'll be seeing anything interesting for awhile. Any diehard fan should automatically realize things are different now...yeah the SNL appearence was cool, but that Xmas parade with Piggy, Kermit and Gonzo was *weak*...and need I point out the goosebumps of excitement the Oz trailer fails to give in even the slightest amount.

A part of me wishes they were at JHC, as, well at least they would still be part of JHC(tho very much floundering)

What happened to the Muppets is the same as a man who is shot by police trying to take a few more people as he goes down. Thats what I liken Eisner's fire sale buy of JHC. Even sadder, the guy who replaces Eisner could have even less respect for the Muppets.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I've never heard anybody give Jim Hill a good review of his articles. Even if he's saying something folks would want to hear, he's got bad reviews. He always references his "sources," but even then the most of his editorials are speculations.

One of the problems we've been faced with is that Frank Oz has not been available for Muppets productions, and that hurt the company. They've had to do all his characters by dubbing lines, so there was never any room for improv which is what they're best at doing! They leave the script some and get outrageous. Those of us who were at MuppetFest saw the performers in action when the viewscreens stopped working and the Muppets came on TV while the technical difficulties were being worked out. It was hilarious.

Oz? I think people are dooming it way too soon. Wait'll you see it and THEN press damages against it! I personally am glad to see it, I don't like the idea of the "singer wanna be who makes it in the end" plot, because it's been used to death, but I think it promises to be a cute film. Obviously not "The Muppet Movie," but if you look at the pattern, we should have an actual "Muppet" movie next. After all, that's what the Muppets are: Performers. They're going to do more than just be themselves.

I think Disney stands to produce some new quality programming now that there are new performers for Frank Oz's characters and they can now get back into doing improv and being outrageous again, which is what we loved about The Muppet Show.

Also, you can't blame them for wanting to pocket money off the old productions while laying off of making new productions...the very thing I worried about from the beginning (though I gave it a 3-7 year span before they forgot about the Muppets).

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
I would have a lot more respect for the company if they started using totally new characters when doing a new production rather than manipulating fargone characters with new performers. New performers should have new characters; they should not be reduced to the immatations that they currently are when using the original gang.

I personally am not "dooming" Oz; I'm just seeing it in perspective relative to the trend the quality has been taking.

And I would love for them to do just as you said; pocket money off the old, hold off on the new. Win-win for everyone; true fans get cool new merch, and the Muppets don't lose anymore face.

sugarbritchez

Reaction score
I, for one, and extremely excited to see ANYTHING Muppet related on TV, Commercials, merchandise, or whatever. I wish they would make new Shows like the orginal ones were done. Although I liked Muppets Tonight, I didn't like it as much as The Muppet Show, but we did get Muppets for a time there. And there were some good characters that came out of that. Bobo was one of them, but I would like to see the original cast, the one I grew up on and love so much, in more things. I don't care if they play Mary Poppins, The Nanny, or themselves....I just want to see them!!!!!

*ok...steps off soapbox* :wink:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Cantus Rock said:
I would have a lot more respect for the company if they started using totally new characters when doing a new production rather than manipulating fargone characters with new performers. New performers should have new characters; they should not be reduced to the immatations that they currently are when using the original gang.

And I would love for them to do just as you said; pocket money off the old, hold off on the new. Win-win for everyone; true fans get cool new merch, and the Muppets don't lose anymore face.
So, basically you're saying if you were Disney, you'd box up everything there is today and do nothing else at all with The Muppets, except to only re-use the old stuff? :confused:

You kin to Michael Eisner or sumfin? :stick_out_tongue: (j/k)

I appreciate your opinion, but mine is opposite your outlook. I think everything goes through slumps at some point or another, and now that they have Frank Oz's characters recast with new talent I think it stands to work out for the better. It'll never be what it was with Jim at the helm, but I expect it can be very close.

My beef with 'em is that they've never gone back and looked at what made them popular to begin with and copied themselves (not totally, but there's formulas that worked before and they need to figure that out).

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
Thing is, I haven't been obsessed with the muppets as long as most of you people, so it's a shame for me to see them fading away when I've only just discovered how amazing they are!!