Muppets on The Tonight Show

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I know Henson did make an appearance or appearances when Jack Parr was the host but what about when Carson was hosting?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Imdb and wikipedia mention that Jim Henson was a guest host as Kermit the Frog for Johnny Carson on April 2, 1979. So he appeared on the Johnny Carson show but not WITH Johnny, but IN PLACE of Johnny. That would be a cool show to see, eh? A whole hour with Kermit (back in the good ol' Henson days) doing the Tonight show, interviewing guests, cracking jokes, making Ed McMahon laugh. I wonder if Kermit did a ten minute opening monologue too. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Muppets have made many appearances on The Tonight Show. The first appearance by The Muppets on The Tonight Show was when Steve Allen hosted. I have read that grover once appeared on The Tonight Show doing near and Far with Johnny Carson. During the opening clip montage in Great Performances: The World of Jim Henson, there was a clip of kermit and fozzie with Johnny Carson.

Regarding a ten minute opening monologue, I have seen clips of kermit doing a monologue from the night that he guest hosted. It could be ten minutes, and it could have been to open the show. These clips were in The Muppets: A Celebration of Thirty Years and The World of Jim Henson. At times Fozzie appeared from behind the curtaisn and made some comments, such as "louder and funnier" and "you're dying".

I know that, besides Kermit and Fozzie, that epsiode featured Miss Piggy, Gonzo, Camillia, Uncle Deadley, and The Electric Mayhem (I think all five original members, but I'm not sure). Did any other Muppets appear in that episode?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Okay here is who are in the Muppets Host the Tonight Show (well since i have it :smile:)

• Kermit
  • Animal
  • Fozzie
  • Gonzo
  • Camilla
  • Floyd
  • Zoot
  • Dr. Teeth
  • Buearegard
  • Rowlf
  • Robin
  • Java Muppets
  • Scooter
  • Uncle Deadly
That's all! :smirk:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Barry, was Ed McMahon on that episode or did he also take a break like Johnny? With all those muppets on, I'm guessing Ed wasn't on. If not, who did the introduction and did he say, "And now, ladies and gentlemen, heeeerrrrrre's Kermit!"? :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
Jim was a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson atleast once I know. Dr. Teeth was with him. In Johnny Carson's very last show they showed a montage of all the different guests who have appeared during his tenure. Jim was among those people along with Dr. T!:big_grin:
Does anyone have a recording of that particular episode where he appeared?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Barry, was Ed McMahon on that episode or did he also take a break like Johnny? With all those muppets on, I'm guessing Ed wasn't on. If not, who did the introduction and did he say, "And now, ladies and gentlemen, heeeerrrrrre's Kermit!"? :smile:
Oh yea Ed was on there and he said that. When Kermit attempts to do Johnny's golf swing with fozzie you can see Jim's arm. lol. Then back from the commercial break Ed was like, "Sorry folks, that was uncensored." It's a real great peice of muppet history.

MGov

Reaction score
I know Henson appeared with Kermit and during the interview is when Johnny got the idea to have Kermit guest host.

Edited to add: it was Jim Henson sitting in the guest chair with Kermit on his arm.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
MGov said:
Edited to add: it was Jim Henson sitting in the guest chair with Kermit on his arm.
I remember seeing that at least once. He may have been on more than once.

:stick_out_tongue:

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I saw an auction on eBay earlier this week where a lady had a copy of the entire episode on DVD for sale. I almost got it, but at 15 bucks, seemed pretty steep. :smirk: