Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've said it before and I've said it again: While Muppet movies aren't box-office blockbusters, I take some comfort that they've fared so well in a cultural landscape that has been increasingly harsh to movie musicals as time goes on.

If you look at the last seven years alone, MMW has already taken in more in North America than Across The Universe (I remain at a loss as to how Across The Universe bombed so badly - it's still one of my favourite movies), the Fame reboot, Joyful Noise and the Glee concert movie.

At its current pace, MMW will also eclipse Rock of Ages (another of my guilty pleasures) by the end of the weekend, should likely finish ahead of the updated Footloose, and even has an outside chance of catching Pitch Perfect.

No, it won't hit Mamma Mia! or Frozen numbers but MMW is continuing proof that the Muppets can still make a movie musical that audiences will enjoy.
I honestly don't care how much it makes compared to other movie musicals, I only care how it fares against other Muppet Movies. At the very least, I want it to hit around as much as MTI or MCC were, adjusting for inflation. Definitely want it to surpass MFS, EIG, and that awful Buddy thing. Might just overtake FTB (which grossed a LOT lower than us fans tend to think... which is a shame).

Let's not forget how many other duds were in this month. Need for Speed quietly disappeared. Tyler Perry's whatever the heck it was faded as well. 300 had a HUGE dip in the Box Office its second week. Nothing's making money, and too many films are being squeezed out in a short time period. I'm sure if the month was a little more empty, the Muppets could have had a 5-10 million lead on where it is now. Seems that no one wants to go to the movies this month, especially compared to last year when the 2 major family films- The Croods and Oz the Great and Powerful (or whatever it was) made quite a bit. Croods was pretty much the most successful film Dreamworks had for a while.

Again, I hope the fact that MMW opened up against a strong-ish kid's movie in a month that hasn't had a major money maker can be taken into consideration. At least it's still holding strong as far as family movies are concerned this month.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
It should surpass MCC at the rate it's going - I'd love it if MMW caught up to TMTM and MTI, but that will depend on how much longer Disney is willing to leave it in theatres. There isn't much direct competition in either the comedy or family genres until Rio 2 comes out next weekend, so there's still some a good chance for more people to see it and enjoy it at the multiplexes over the next few weeks.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
As of Wednesaday MMW has made $35.2 mil. in the bank. It should get $35.8 mil. by tomorrow. Here's my weekend breakdown/forecast of what I think MMW will make in its third weekend
Friday: $1.5 million
Saturday: $3.2 million
Sunday: $2.3 million
Weekend Forecast: $7 million, which will give it a total of $42.8 million.

King Rupert

Reaction score
After this weekend the movie with have made it's budget back with international and domestic numbers. Everything from there out including DVD sales will help make it profitable. It also might see a nice spike during school vacation week.

MMW isn't a blockbuster, but it doesn't have to be to be deemed successful.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're taking it in stride and saying it's at least the number one comedy. Considering 2 more comedies were released that last weekend (Bad Words and The Budapest Grand Hotel- both actually look pretty good, actually), that is saying something. But said comedies didn't really have a mainstream appeal anyway, and were for the more indie crowd.

So in a way, it's performing okay in that aspect. It's been in the top 3 both weekends it was out, it was the number 1 family movie both weeks, going up against Peabody and Sherman (which is still making money, and I Hope that's deemed successful enough for a Bullwinkle comeback of some sort- even just for merchandising). It's just a victim of a weak box office period. NOTHING has been able to break Lego's 70 million opening so far (though Captain America no doubt will... supposedly it's already raking in 100 million in reserved ticket sales) And I'm sure a lot of boyfriends that would rather see MMW were dragged to De-turd-gent.

Disney's not going to lose that much on this movie domestically. It'll make back it's production budget for sure (or come very close), and it'll make some more overseas. Not a huge hit, but a minor money maker. And considering the returns on Frozen and Captain America, Disney might just be generous enough to say the film did good enough to warrant more Muppet stuff... even if it's just merchandise for a while. That Gonzo Christmas ornament is going to sell... they always do.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
And I'm sure a lot of boyfriends that would rather see MMW were dragged to De-turd-gent.
Oh god, I can just imagine how sad that'd be.

In other news, MMW is predicted to make $6.9 million according to Box Office Mojo, leading it to a mere 39% dip in its third weekend. Not bad.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
IMO it's the little things that make the Muppets successful to me. :smile:

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Seven million wouldn't be too bad for its third weekend - I can see it going as high as eight or nine million, actually. The new Captain America (which Mrs. Otter and I want to see) will undoubtedly rule the roost but MMW should hang in there, if only because of a lack of new comedies and family movies this weekend.