Muppets at Macy's Thanksgiving Parade

Drtooth

Reaction score
noticed the parade this year seems kinda rushed...hope we didnt miss anything during a commercial
We probably did. There is ALWAYS something missed in the telecast. It's usually a balloon or something. But GAH I was ticked. Unless there was some last minute pull out or something, there's no excuse for them being cut.

I wish I had DVR. Honestly, I'm starting to consider writing a Murtaugh list (if anyone saw that How I Met your Mother... as in "I'm gettin' too old for this [stuff... he said stuff].") and watching the parade throughout is first on that list. What REALLY honked me off is that Nickelodeon used the whole dang thing to promote 3 EXACTLY the same pop music based sitcoms. Their songs weren't conveniently rushed. Nick... seriously... STOP being the Disney channel from 3 years ago. Even the Disney channel's moving past that crap. And really, Nintendo... stop doing the Pokemon balloon. You have Super Mario, the most instantly recognizable video game character in the WORLD. Sega gave us Sonic the Hedgehog. Their mascot. They didn't give us a Chuck D. Head balloon....

Actually, I would rather like a Chick d. Head balloon.

Oh, and the ONE marching band they rushed off the screen would HAVE to play the theme from Space Battle Ship Yamato. When I heard those words spoken I freaked out. Why that isn't required viewing for Sci Fi fans, I don't know.

Maybe it's because the crappy musicals they showed at the beginning that I was particularly grouchy that morning. I mean, a musical based off ELF? Seriously, we need a face palm emoticom.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
well in Nintendo's Defense id argue Pikachu and Mario are basically on the same popularity and recognition boat now, and Pokemon has a brand new game and series to promote..it would be silly for them to just stop all promotion of pokemon.

as i tell my friends, even though us older guys, myself included, were done with pokemon years ago with gold and silver, it actually had a very strong continuation with the younger crowd and still continues to do so
something i learned from my mother, a 2nd grade elementary school teacher

as for nick i wouldn't worry about them to much ive noticed a change in their promotion especially on Nicktoons, they recently bought power rangers and from what ive seen a good chuck of their resources are going into that, and my guess is after power rangers premieres ninja turtles will be there next target

but as for Nick stars...did Miranda Cosgrove sing at all or did she just stand on the float?

Drtooth

Reaction score
as for nick i wouldn't worry about them to much ive noticed a change in their promotion especially on Nicktoons, they recently bought power rangers and from what ive seen a good chuck of their resources are going into that, and my guess is after power rangers premieres ninja turtles will be there next target

but as for Nick stars...did Miranda Cosgrove sing at all or did she just stand on the float?
Correction.

Saban bought Power Rangers back from Disney. I wish he got the whole lot of the stuff Disney wound up with after buying Fox Family. So many great Fox Kids shows were lost with Disney's buy out... as well as dub and global rights to certain animes that Saban dubbed at the time. Again, I mourn the fact Samurai Pizza Cats will never make the comeback they deserve. Had things been different, they may have at least been on the Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom game.

I'm glad Saban bought MMPR back from Disney. I can't say I'm a great fan, but I respect the fan base. The Diz was just gonna get rid of them, but gave them a stay of execution by rerunning special remastered episodes of the first series. I missed the parade unveiling of them, though. They spent a total second on it, and I was walking down the stairs to catch it at the time.

But as for the pop stars, sure, the shows can exist... I still am not happy about them having a hand in the death of TV animation, but it's just one of many annoying factors. But I feel the same way about them as I do Judge programming. A few here and there is reasonable, but there is no call for such a gluttony of them. And the fact that Nick used the parade to so obviously and fervently pimp them out was probably the reason the Muppets (if they were in the parade at all) got cut from the broadcast. There was no reason for all three of Nick's fakeyfake Disney wanna be bands to take that much air time, especially when the Muppets have a certain project to start marketing aggressively.

Miranda Cosgrove was just about the only one who didn't sing, actually. I did like the Despicable Me float... I'd tend to think she did sing, but that was cut/rushed out of the broadcast too. Actually, I really think this parade was rushed the closer it got to the end. It BETTER not even be nominated for any awards if its up for one.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Miranda Cosgrove was just about the only one who didn't sing, actually. I did like the Despicable Me float... I'd tend to think she did sing, but that was cut/rushed out of the broadcast too.
yea i feel the same, it just seemed odd that she just stood there

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I thought I'd never really get a muse about Pokemon anymore, but I finally decided to go with the Team War-type story I've always dreamed of writing. Anyway, I'll care more about the Pokemon balloon when they have a mini plot for the parade with a Meowth balloon and it's Team Rocket and Rocket grunts battle Ash and company. At least, that's a scene I'd pay to watch, LOL.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Meowth balloon.. I'd like that. I dislike Pokemon (the cartoon especially, the video game I actually don't care either way... just not my kinda game), but I've always had a soft spot for the cat. Even though Team Rocket is basically the Doronbo Team... but I'm not going into that. Seriously, if you like Pokemon, NEVER get into the Time Bokan series... you see ALL the stuff they stole.

That said, Mario IS Nintendo's #1 mascot. Always has been. Now, uh... Sega didn't really have a solid Mascot... for a while it was Alex Kidd, then it was something else... then when they hit Sonic the hedgehog, they had a solid company Mascot. Sigh... I want them to make a New Sonic Balloon. Even if it looks like Sonic Adventure/Sonic X like in all the style guides... uh... what was I saying? Pikachu is still popular, and I see why he's still there to pimp out games... but how cool would a Mario... or general Nintendo float have been? Mario, Wario, Luigi and Link walkabouts waving at you? Tell me that's not cooler an just Pokemon.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, when they were airing Dragon Ball on CN (y'know, back when there were cartoons on that network), I realized Pokemon borrowed a lot from that too. All that was really missing is Ash having superpowers ... and then they made him use Kame ... uh, "aura sphere".

beaker

Reaction score
Meowth balloon.. I'd like that. I dislike Pokemon (the cartoon especially, the video game I actually don't care either way... just not my kinda game), but I've always had a soft spot for the cat. Even though Team Rocket is basically the Doronbo Team... but I'm not going into that. Seriously, if you like Pokemon, NEVER get into the Time Bokan series... you see ALL the stuff they stole.

That said, Mario IS Nintendo's #1 mascot. Always has been. Now, uh... Sega didn't really have a solid Mascot... for a while it was Alex Kidd, then it was something else... then when they hit Sonic the hedgehog, they had a solid company Mascot. Sigh... I want them to make a New Sonic Balloon. Even if it looks like Sonic Adventure/Sonic X like in all the style guides... uh... what was I saying? Pikachu is still popular, and I see why he's still there to pimp out games... but how cool would a Mario... or general Nintendo float have been? Mario, Wario, Luigi and Link walkabouts waving at you? Tell me that's not cooler an just Pokemon.
Oh I love the look of modern day Sonic, be it Sonic Adventure through the latest incarnation or even the 2002 cartoon. But man, a Nintendo float would be seriously cool. I cant go ANYWHERE without seeing Nintendo/Mario/Donkey Kong characters(today Nintendo had a huge E3 like game center/kiosk at my local mall) Its funny Pokemon is HUGE with the nerd/convention/college crowd(especially girl nerds) again.
Never got into it myself but I hear some of the games are solid.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't know if it's because of Sesame Workshop's financial problems or what, but I noticed that this year Herry, Alice, and Barkely were all absent from the float. I don't know if they were also missing last year, but it is sad that these characters didn't appear, even though any of them are hardly ever on the show anymore.

Did the song from this years parade debut this season? I don't remember hearing it before.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Again, I mourn the fact Samurai Pizza Cats will never make the comeback they deserve. Had things been different, they may have at least been on the Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom game.
Hey- someone else who remembers Samurai Pizza Cats! Ha ha- that was a great cartoon. I used to watch that as a kid- and if it's considered anime- it's one of the few anime cartoons I like. This one was a parody of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (a fact they make obvious even in the opening theme song) and that's funny too because TMNT was a parody itself of the various way out there comic book superheroes.
Even now I can hear the theme song running in my head- "Will somebody please kill that bird?":big_grin: