Muppet Show Openings?

Hat Sharpener

Reaction score
I was savoring my Time Life DVD's... slowly consuming one episode at a time, but I went on a Binge the other night, watching like 4 or 5 in a row. I grew up mainly on the movies and specials, so most of the shows are new to me!

Anyhow, it got me thinking about the opening theme song and the variations. Since the Time Life DVD's are in no particular order, there's not a lot of rhyme or reason to them. I assume they vary by season.

My questions are:
1. Has one of the marvelous Muppet fans on these boards collected descriptions of the openings?
2. I downloaded some DivX movies of some first season episodes, and they have a very different opening with, amongst other things, no arches, a Fozzie joke, and Kermit singing something like: "To introduce our gueststar, that's what it's time to do..." but I noticed that the Rita Moreno episode on DVD doesn't have this style intro - did Time Life edit one of the more standard ones on?
3. Why does this piece of trivia interest me so much? :wink:

- Derek

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
What reason was it that the original opening titles was replaced with the later opening titles ? Who's idea was it to replace them ? - Just curious :sing:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Now as I was trying to say three hours ago, when this webpage was still loading...

There's a good video clip of a first season opening at Scarecroe's site. I'll admit, I didn't know too much about how first season openings looked before I saw that.

Ryan

Reaction score
MuppetDanny said:
What reason was it that the original opening titles was replaced with the later opening titles ? Who's idea was it to replace them ? - Just curious :sing:
Basically becuase Jim just never liked it. Also, all of the Muppets' looks had been updated. That's what I remember hearing.

scarecroe

Reaction score
I'm so glad they changed it. The original was pretty horrid.

kermitage.com's 1st season guide has transcripts of each original opening.

If you find that impossible to navigate and annoyed by the flash, you can use my cheat sheet with the episodes listed in order.

EDIT: oh, and I just noticed/remembered that the MC guide has them too.

Ryan

Reaction score
scarecroe said:
kermitage.com's 1st season guide has transcripts of each original opening.

If you find that impossible to navigate and annoyed by the flash, you can use my cheat sheet with the episodes listed in order.

EDIT: oh, and I just noticed/remembered that the MC guide has them too.
As well as my own website. Go to lists, then the 1976 openings category. (This was the original list, hee hee :big_grin: )
I loved the old openings, personally. Especially the guest star clip (usually at the talk spot) But I will admit the puppetry on the dancing girls and guys was pretty awful. Looks like John Lovelady is performing them all!

foofoocakes

Reaction score
Man I had completely forgotten the old intro untill I read this thread. I must be getting old. Wait a minute I am old if I saw the original intro on TV. :smile: