Muppet reality pilot taped last summer

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
beaker said:
WHAT THE HECK? Random people puppeteering the Muppets? Oh I dont think so.
It never said they would be puppeteering the Muppets.

"The reported plot is that the Classic Muppet characters (not the Henson performers) would be auditioning new puppeteers, potentially in an American Idol format. Characters like Kermit, Miss Piggy and Gonzo would be the judges auditioning new puppeteers."

I think random puppeteers and their puppet acts are performing for the Muppet judges who comment on them; some as "good" (entertaining, inventive, creative, and funny), and some are crazy or "freak shows" (just like American Idol). Then the Muppets would give someone there "big break" into the puppet industry with a bg prize of some sort (like there own tv-special or $1000000 - or nothing but a pat on the back). American Idol is judged by music stars Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul; but the singers trying out are not auditioning to join their musical act. The are just judges. I don't think this is "Joe Muppeteer: The Search for the Next Muppet performer". I think this is more "The Muppets Judge Other Puppeteers". don't think Kermit, Rwolf, Gonzo, Piggy, or Scooter would just be handed to random people to perform on camera - cause then this production would breaks Disney's unwritten rule of exposing the characters are puppets/not real. Also remeber this is just a pilot - there is a reason we have not seen it or heard much about it "officially" yet; cause it may never air or be released, and it was a fluke.

beaker said:
At least the Muppet Oz thing was in play before the Disney takeover, so I cant blame them for that one. But still...this is just not good.
Just remember the deal also includes production and consulting agreements under which The Jim Henson Company develops and creates potential new programming featuring the Muppets. Right now the Henson Company is still working with the Muppets, and if they were very opposed to this I think we would have heard them (and the Muppeteers) making a big stink about it last summer- there has been no headlines like "Brian Henson and other Muppeteers Erupt at the Mouse - Performers Not Happy with Disney's New Program Idea" - so I think they're ok with the concept.

christyb

Reaction score
Yeah but reality tv?? Come on. Isn't there enough of it already? How about a show starring the Muppets? Although I do like you headline GelfingWaldo. I can just picture it on the paper now...

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Hey hey hey, what happened to give it a chance? :smile:

christyb

Reaction score
Out the window. LoL. Ok. I will. If it's good reality. Although can't you picture Dave Goelz and Steve Whitmire strangling Mickey? It makes a funny picture in my head.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
What happenned to giving reality TV a chance? The better question would be what happened to classic TV? Reality TV has been given far too many chances in my view, each new idea they come up is just more and more utter crappola. Though I'd watch a pilot episode of anything with Muppet appearances, heck got snuckered into watching that awful Newlyweds Show that way, I have a bad taste in my TV viewer mouth from all this reality TV stuff.

Doesn't anyone remember that TV was invented to escape from the boring duldrums of reality? And now every show has to have cameras following all the people capturing their every move. Behind the Scenes stuff is OK, but when it's all reality you know that TV's going down the tubes.
Sorry for the rant, just hope the Muppets get a good revival show sometime soon, what with the Disney muscle behind it. Heck, if they come up with a good decent show, it could revive both the Muppets and the Disney Channel at the same time.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
The give it a chance thing is something christyb said to me about the Wizard of Oz, so I was just messin' with her. As for this, it is our beloved Muppets, and while (lately) I'm not liking much of what they do, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Innocent until proven guilty, y'know?
As for that Nick and Jessica thing... I ended up in the hospital for that one. Who'd ever think that such a gorgeous hottie like Jessica would make me go blind... AH! It still hurts!

BTW Count, big congrats on the 3000th post!

christyb

Reaction score
And I do give people ample opportunity to pick on me with my big mouth.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Remember this is most likly a one-shot special, not a new series, we're talking about here. Using a special like this could open the Muppets to the reality-TV. pop-culture, fad-following audiance who would be interested in this and they'll "fall-in" love with or rediscover the characters, thus building up the fan base for future (non-reality) project. Plus it could be a fun and funny little production allow the muppets to "poke-fun" at reality TV and have fun with the concept. I don't think this will become a new series that is bigger than the Muppet Show - I think it is just a fun little one-shot special. Its already be filmed, its been done, it is not preventing the Muppets from doing something else now, it is in the past. I'm not a fan of reality TV, but I don't think this will ruin the Muppets.

christyb

Reaction score
You know. When you think about it there are a lot of potential gags in this show.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
At the confessionals:

Kermit - So we're trying to set up the cable, and we get a lot of static followed by a brief few seconds of the Food Network, and Animal goes nuts, and starts yelling: Rachael Ray! Rachael Ray! So we get a little scared because he hasn't eaten in a few hours so we start rushing to get the TV fixed and everyone thinks they know what they're doing until finally Gonzo hops on the television wearing a suit he's made completely out of tin foil and suddenly we have cable, but it didn't matter because our talking vegetables were eaten up by Animal so Bunsen thought that was a good time to use his new insta-shrink pills on Beaker so he could manipulate his way through Animal's belly button to make sure the tomatoe was okay because he's clostraphobic.
It may seem odd to you, but it was really just an ordinary day for us.
Sam - They are ALL weirdos!