Muppet reality pilot taped last summer

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
ravagefrackle said:
the ideas behind these shows are not interesting or intriquing in the least,
The term reality does not mean the idea behind it always, it some time just means the directorially style and look of the show. Take any standard sit-com like say, Seinfeld, Full House, or The Cosby Show. Take any epsidoe of the show but change just a few things; use real full sets/locations (360 degrees of walls, not half a room with no ceilings and sunch); take out the live studio audiance (or laugh track), and film it with moving unlocked "rawer" cameras (rather than the standard 3-pedestal-cameras); executives would refer to it as a "reality sit-com" to identify it is not your standard "traditional" sit-com. The writting, acting, and plots could be exactlly the same as the tradional show. The term has somehow taken on a new meaning to mean any show not shot directorially in the 3-camera fasion. I think it is a stupid as many of these shows in the reality style are anything but realtiy (they have writters, scripts, actors, ect.). The Muppet Show could have been shot in "reality style" with out changing any of the writting or content.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
my main problem with it is this

they are doing it not as a creative thing but in a misguided attempt to become"HIP" or "EDGY",if they would just concentrte on quality, and not the whole edgy thing they would produce a more watchable show.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
It could go either way, it's a tough call. Will this will be a sincere attempt to bring the Muppets back to the spot light in an appropriate and artistic way; or will it be a sell-out riding of the fads by Disney. I don't think we'll be able to tell this until a lot more information is out there (or even until we see the show). Lets just hope it is not the latter of the two. I think it's to early to judge the project yet...heck, we don't even know if this project is going anywhere and if we'll ever see it.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
It could go either way, it's a tough call. Will this will be a sincere attempt to bring the Muppets back to the spot light in an appropriate and artistic way; or will it be a sell-out riding of the fads by Disney. I don't think we'll be able to tell this until a lot more information is out there (or even until we see the show). Lets just hope it is not the latter of the two. I think it's to early to judge the project yet...heck, we don't even know if this project is going anywhere and if we'll ever see it.

i am just speaking from my experiance , and veiw of the current entertainment industry, they dont have people in charge of these characters who are creative, they have more corporate clones who were promoted thru the ranks , not truly inventive thinkers or people with imagination, they are doing stuff because they feel it will sell, (that why you are seeing all the pr stuff.)amnd this muppet wizard of oz thing simply seems like a bad idea, along the lines of MCC, or MTI,

they need to infuse the muppest with more craetive people, and people with a real familiarty of the muppet family(from the workshop staff to the writers)

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I guess my question is that would this "would-be" reality show be filmed with the more well known Muppets or more obscure, lesser known Muppets as most "celebrity oriented" reality shows are; you know, more "washed up" stars like in: "The Surreal Life", "Celebrity Fit" even "Drawn Together" to an extent.

Luke

Reaction score
I think it would be fun, depending on the format. Yes it is pandering to whats popular nowdays, but then again a puppet reality show is definitely creative, innovative and unique. Hasn't been done anywhere else and it'll take some creativity to come up with something that'll work.

mother mayhem

Reaction score
Muppet reality tv

Honestly, I don't like reality TV and I would hate to see the muppets fall into something so mainstream "hip".

WOCKA2416

Reaction score
mother mayhem said:
Honestly, I don't like reality TV and I would hate to see the muppets fall into something so mainstream "hip".
I still think it may end up as a spoof. :wink: