Muppet Peter Pan

dwmckim

Reaction score
That really does explain a LOT! Many characters looked like he was cribbing off of Roger's version of the characters and now i know why! Of course if one's doing that because it's by request and not their "normal" style, it's going to be like a tomboy being forced to wear a pink frilly dress. I think the rip-off of Roger's style and the fact that there was no consistency with profiles/noses just made it seem like a major mismatch.

All the other artists have their own unique style and i love each one for what it is (i may be one of the few on the forum that would love for RL to go even wilder) - and had hoped that the Muppet line would have a wide variety of artists involved. Knowing what i do now about the behind the scenes conditions it might be interesting to see Armand have a second crack at it with his own unfiltered stamp.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmm... I thought that was the case. Kermit and Gonzo especially looked like he was copying that style. It really does feel like the art suffered from trying to be too much of too many different things. You can't even really blame him. or you guys for that matter. I was always the one who was sort of comfortable with it, myself... just seems that he was a little green at this. I;m sure future works with him as the artist will feel more flowing. Further down the line he seemed to have found his voice.

Aaron Sparrow

Reaction score
I think anytime a licensor and licensee work together, their early collaborations will have some rough spots, as neither really understands everything the other wants, and it takes some time for all the pieces to come together. We're moving into our second year with Disney, and I think most of the kinks have been ironed out. The folks at Disney Publishing, and particularly our friends at the Muppets Studio, have been great partners. Publishing has streamlined a lot of their processes in regards to us, and for our part we've put a lot of infrastructure in place the last six months. 2010 should be a banner year for us; it's BOOM Kids! 2.0!

Believe me, you're going to love some of the things we've got planned!

-A

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Well I'm a bit late to the party for this series, I've been snowed in and am just now catching up on these great Muppet comics.
Besides the normal series this has been by far my favorite, while I think I may have liked the Robin Hood store a little more than others I do have to say this story had allot more heart to it than that one did.
I really enjoy the story, the twists, the cast, & the art!
The only character that came across as odd was Pepe, but I'll take it since you guys put Bean Bunny in the tale!
I saw at one point you guys said Disney wants to make the Muppets fresh in the mind of new readers and that you don't want to put random characters that only us fans would know, but to me this is the perfect chance to bring those side characters in and give them a personality and make kids and heck even long time fns want more of them.
Over all amazing job and I can't wait till more of King Arthur comes out, big props to David Peterson for his amazing covers!

Aaron Sparrow

Reaction score
I'm not sure who said we shouldn't be including the more obscure Muppet characters. I mean, you probably won't ever see Marvin Suggs' singing vegetables in a starring role...but you WILL see them.

"Easter eggs" are part of fan service!

-A

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think the comment was made by another comic artist here who said the panels wouldn't be overstuffed with extraneous Muppet cameos, but that was not to say there wouldn't be some here and there. Personally, I think Muppet productions have always been about many weird characters stuffed in the background so that comment was strange to me. I suppose it has to do with what artist is creating what comic and what works best for the story and the composition as negotiated with Disney, Boom, the artist and the writer. We have a lot to pick from now! :smile:

Amy

Reaction score
I'm not sure who said we shouldn't be including the more obscure Muppet characters.

-A
That was probably me. My comment wasn't that we SHOULDN'T include obscure cameos, but just to bear in mind that they won't be omnipresent. Every character is one more to look up and double-check and not every Muppet artist is as big an expert on obscure characters as some people here.
My personal energies are almost always focused on the featured characters. They're the ones telling the story and they're going to get the bulk of my time.
If I have time after that to work in background jokes or cameos, I will. My point is that for me PERSONALLY, it's not a huge priority.
Other artists/creators may feel totally differently, we all work in different ways.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I always love seeing the obscure characters in any media whether it be actual productions, merchandise, comics...and the comics are the perfect place for them since it's a chance for them to have their time at the present when in reality the puppet may have disintegrated and not yet be rebuilt.

Plus not only is it a treat for fans but also EXCELLENT for newbies or casual Muppet fans because they whet their desire to check out the Muppet productions and back catalogues so they can get the references more.

...and of course if fan favorites keep popping up in the books, they may very well encourage Disney to rebuild and use the characters again...and as some chick named Martha once (or maybe more) said "that is a very good thing". I actually think the Boom! Muppet comics are largely to credit for Bohemian Rhapsody's being so wonderfully Muppety.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That was probably me. My comment wasn't that we SHOULDN'T include obscure cameos, but just to bear in mind that they won't be omnipresent. Every character is one more to look up and double-check and not every Muppet artist is as big an expert on obscure characters as some people here.
My personal energies are almost always focused on the featured characters. They're the ones telling the story and they're going to get the bulk of my time.
If I have time after that to work in background jokes or cameos, I will. My point is that for me PERSONALLY, it's not a huge priority.
Other artists/creators may feel totally differently, we all work in different ways.

Yeah, it really seems to vary from artist to artist. On the one hand, there are a LOT of great characters you can put in a crowd scene... on the other hand a lot of characters in one scene may make something look too crowded and jumbled. Only reason I like seeing bunches of characters in the background is to see the artists' take on different characters.. one of the things I just LOVE about these comics.

Of course, if I HAD to be the guy that said "I wanna see X" which I don't wanna, I'd like to see Clifford pop up somewhere again.