Muppet Peter Pan

Drtooth

Reaction score
If these current comics are already considered by Disney as being for kids than great. They don't appear that way to me. However, I don't want them to go in a kiddie direction. That's what I've been saying. :embarrassed:

It seems more of a marketing/demographic type deal, as I said. Categorized specifically like DC categorizes it's semi-adaptions of DC hero cartoons and Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo line. It's a huge hit for the adults though.

That said, the one fairy tale I'd LOVE to see is Muppets Journey to the West, with Kermit as Son Goku (no... not the OVER 9000! one). You know... just pitchin' that out there... out into the world... :stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It seems more of a marketing/demographic type deal, as I said. Categorized specifically like DC categorizes it's semi-adaptions of DC hero cartoons and Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo line. It's a huge hit for the adults though.

That said, the one fairy tale I'd LOVE to see is Muppets Journey to the West, with Kermit as Son Goku (no... not the OVER 9000! one). You know... just pitchin' that out there... out into the world... :stick_out_tongue:
You're right. It's the Boom Kids branding. I'm just glad that not only haven't forsaken the fans, they've found the root of what makes the Muppets work, made it palatable for everyone and placed it in a format that suits kids. I merely object to thinking of these comics as for kids or kids items. I've seen a lot of kid-geared stuff in the marketplace and this is not that. This is the good stuff.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
What I meant about the survey idea was for a number of approved/ considered fairy tales to be choices, to see which stories people would want to see the Muppets adapt the most. I have seen a number of press releases that have mentioned existing stories that Disney hopes for Boom! to make Muppet versions of. For example, a poll determining whether the fans (both kids and adult) would want the next Muppet fairy tale adaption to be Sleeping Beauty, King Arthur, or The Three Muskateers.

And when thinking of the possibility of voting for who might play who, I was thinking along the liens of multiple-choice but not write-in votes. Besides, I figure that it's sometimes hard to determine who would be best for what role. I read an interview with Jerry Juhl discussing difficult casting choices for Muppet Treasure Island, and the writer of Muppet Robin Hood was recently interviewed, commenting on the difficulty of casting Muppets as villians.

I think it is logical to have the main character portrayed by either Kermit or Piggy (depending on what gender the star is), though I can think of some stories that would be better off with different characters in the lead role (I'm not going to say who or what here).

GRandolph

Reaction score
Hmm! This thread has taken an interesting turn.

Here's what I'd like to add to the conversation:

- I'm not writing Muppet Peter Pan for kids. I know that it's printed under the Boom! Kids line, and while nobody ever told me to "write for kids", I'm assuming Amy is correct that Disney wants to reconnect kids with the Muppets. Will kids enjoy Muppet Peter Pan? I hope so! But I'm just focusing on writing a great Muppet story - I'm not thinking at all about appealing to a certain demographic.

- As far as the voting thing goes, while I always love to hear what readers think, I don't feel it would be a good idea to mess around with the creative process. Why? Because sometimes we writers can surprise you! You might think Muppet "X" would be the greatest so and so of all time, but the writer might have a fun idea that will totally blow your mind! However, I'm sure that you can write to the editors at Boom! and let your voice be heard. If enough readers say the same thing, then of course we'll listen!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hmm! This thread has taken an interesting turn.

Here's what I'd like to add to the conversation:

- I'm not writing Muppet Peter Pan for kids. I know that it's printed under the Boom! Kids line, and while nobody ever told me to "write for kids", I'm assuming Amy is correct that Disney wants to reconnect kids with the Muppets. Will kids enjoy Muppet Peter Pan? I hope so! But I'm just focusing on writing a great Muppet story - I'm not thinking at all about appealing to a certain demographic.
Thank you. It's what I've been thinking. I can't wait for Muppet Peter Pan. It's so wonderful when a good artist and writer get together in just the right project.

By the way, what is your favorite (non-Muppet) comic you've written?

Amy

Reaction score
Okay, just to clarify what I said that sparked this whole debate:

While Disney and Boom! have a certain marketing directive in mind in making these comics kid-friendly, that's not to say we as creators don't do our best to make these comics enjoyable by everyone. I call it the Pixar Method - the ability to make universally-enjoyed stories out of what might be tarred as a 'juvenile' format like cartoons or comics isn't easy.

But like Grace said - give the writers and editors some benefit of the doubt here! By all means, write to Boom or Disney and suggest things, but my main point was that it's not really our job to be the 'voice' of a particular group or fans or readers. We have our own visions and stories we're working on that hopefully will be worth everyone's while.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, just to clarify what I said that sparked this whole debate:

While Disney and Boom! have a certain marketing directive in mind in making these comics kid-friendly, that's not to say we as creators don't do our best to make these comics enjoyable by everyone. I call it the Pixar Method - the ability to make universally-enjoyed stories out of what might be tarred as a 'juvenile' format like cartoons or comics isn't easy.

But like Grace said - give the writers and editors some benefit of the doubt here! By all means, write to Boom or Disney and suggest things, but my main point was that it's not really our job to be the 'voice' of a particular group or fans or readers. We have our own visions and stories we're working on that hopefully will be worth everyone's while.

Exactly what I was saying. Just because something is labeled as "for Kids" doesn't necessarily mean that only they'd like it. Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain... shows like that were made for kids... but they have an amazing amount of adult fans (that those shows even make fun of, by the way). Look at Histeria!... a show that was meant as an educational show for kids... but they managed to sneak in subversive jokes about Catherine the Great of Russia.

I see the same crack writing here as in all the best of "kid's" media. Stuff that's not only enjoyable at any age, but some stuff that's more enjoyable as a learned adult. And I'm not just gushing to kiss up to anyone of the writers and artists. These are some of, if not, the best comics based on an outside medium I've ever read... and I've read everything from Disney Afternoon adaptions to Warner Bros cartoon adaptions... I even have a Honeymooners comic somewhere (!) Again, I hate to rag on Gold Key and Whitman... but taking beloved characters putting them in generic situations unfitting of them... I even saw comics where Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote spoke... and talked in rhyme :eek: I'm so glad we are out of that era... the comic book based off of a TV show/movie/etc. has come a long way. Great job guys.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Thats really what Jim wanted the Muppets to be. Is for everyone.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was saying. Just because something is labeled as "for Kids" doesn't necessarily mean that only they'd like it. Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain... shows like that were made for kids... but they have an amazing amount of adult fans (that those shows even make fun of, by the way). Look at Histeria!... a show that was meant as an educational show for kids... but they managed to sneak in subversive jokes about Catherine the Great of Russia.

I see the same crack writing here as in all the best of "kid's" media. Stuff that's not only enjoyable at any age, but some stuff that's more enjoyable as a learned adult. And I'm not just gushing to kiss up to anyone of the writers and artists. These are some of, if not, the best comics based on an outside medium I've ever read... and I've read everything from Disney Afternoon adaptions to Warner Bros cartoon adaptions... I even have a Honeymooners comic somewhere (!) Again, I hate to rag on Gold Key and Whitman... but taking beloved characters putting them in generic situations unfitting of them... I even saw comics where Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote spoke... and talked in rhyme I'm so glad we are out of that era... the comic book based off of a TV show/movie/etc. has come a long way. Great job guys.
:super: I agree. It was Amy's statement that, "...these comics are not 'for the fans'. They are for children..." that had me perplexed. I'm glad she took the time to clarify things and the Pixar-ism model is the perfect example. Ultimately it's about making a good comic and that seems to be what they're doing. The rest is semantics.

The first film I remember seeing in the theaters was The Muppet Movie in 1979. I was 5 years old and it made me laugh as much as my parents. It could be considered a family movie but it certainly was not a kid flick. That movie painted how I see the world to this day. :smile:

Too much popular media has devolved into catering to the lowest common denominator or has been kiddified into cutesy rubbish. It's a sore spot with me that animation, Muppets, graphic novels and other such entertainment properties are frequently considered as kids’ domain. These art forms are too beautiful to be creatively pigeonholed. The Muppets certainly don't fit into a standard category and that could be a reason why they've had a little bit of trouble adapting this past decade or so.

The Muppets have always stood for all-inclusive entertainment and that's what these comics represent. Fans old and new.

If a fan wants to see a particular character or storyline, well by all means graciously mention it to anyone involved. They might say no or not have the ability to do it and that's okay, but you tried. Fans should always be encouraged. That’s what this forum is about and it’s just plain Muppety! Of course every project is created for fans to enjoy and different teams have different ways to facilitate that. Langridge has taken a cue from fans to explore the inclusion of some obscure characters so we know it works. Or maybe most of that was constructed through independent research. And that's even better. He's like one of us with his own funky faves. It seems to be a mixture of both.

Once there is more Pan news I'm sure the thread will progress. Until then it would be interesting for the artists involved in the project to steer the thread a bit into areas that can be discussed that pertain to Pan. If there's time. We do see that you are busy bringing us the Muppety goodness.

I appreciate all you comic artists are doing for the Muppets. Thank you!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Not to totally change the subject, but something interesting that I thought of (and I presume I can say this without influencing anything as the comics are finished, ya?) is that here's another opportunity for the Muppet Babies style Gonzo/Piggy flirtation to go on. If they follow the Book/Movie idea of Tink betraying Peter to Hook. Could be fun to see the two of them in scenes together again.