Muppet parody characters on SS

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Of all the tv shows, movies, celebrities, etc. that have been spoofed on Sesame Street, there's been...

Celebrities
*Ethel Mermaid(Ethel Merman)
*Dr. Feel(Dr. Phil)
*Placido Flamingo(Placido Domingo)
*Donald Grump(Donald Trump)
*Ronnie Trash(Johnny Cash)
*Ross Parrot(Ross Perot)
*The Beetles(The Beatles)
*Polly Darton(Dolly Parton)
*Pat Playjacks(Pat Sajak)
*Bruce Stringbean(Bruce Springsteen)

TV Shows
*Joe Hundred Guy(Joe Millionaire)
*TriangleBob Trianglepants(SpongeBob SGuarepants)
*Six Feet Under-three monster legs are seen under the table)
*Grouch Eye for the Nice Guy
*The Dragnet spoof with Cookie Monster in it(heard about this)
*SGueal of Fortune(Wheel of Fortune)
*The Triangle is Right(The Price is Right)
*Sally Messy Yuckayell(Sally Jessy Raphael)
*Colambo(Columbo)
*ABCD Blues(NYPD Blue)
*School, She Wrote(Murder, She Wrote)
*Smellnose Place(Melrose Place)
*Twin Beaks(Twin Peaks)
*The "Add-'ems" Family(The Addams Family)
*As the World Takes Turns(As the World Turns)(according to the book Sesame Street Unpaved, there was also another parody of this called As the Worm Turns. What happened in it?)
*Monsterpiece Theater(Masterpiece Theater)
*Miami Mice(Miami Vice)
*Spaceship Surprise(Star Trek)

Movies, songs, etc.
*The Grapes of Math(The pe of Wrath)
*A Fish Called Elmo(A Fish Called Wanda)
*The 39 Steps
*Dances with Wolves
*Seven Gifts for Seven Brothers(Seven Brides for Seven Brothers)
*Romeo and Alphabet(Romeo and Juliet)
*The Taming of the Shoe(The Taming of the Shrew)
*Trash Gordon(Flash Gordon)
*Cereal Girl(Material Girl)
*Don't Know Why Y Didn't Come(Don't Know Why You Didn't Come)
*Everything's Coming Up Noses(Everything's Coming Up Roses)
*Stretch, Wiggle, and Yay(YMC-for some strange reason, when I first saw this, it-well, to me anyway, didn't sound exactly like YMCA. At least that's what I thought. But I still liked it)
*Letter B(Let it Be)
*Hey Food(Hey Jude)
*Grouch Girls Don't Wanna Have Fun(Girls Just Wanna Have Fun)
*Gordon Bleau(Cordon Bleau)

...if I have missed any others out, let me know.

BTW, I heard from someone here that Monty(the British Guy Smiley Muppet with the boulder hat who does silly things)was actually based on Monty Python. Is this true?

greg

Reaction score
There were also the Cobblestones singing "I can't get no cooperation":big_grin:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... There are some I've never heard of before. But you might want to check your spelling on some of the ones posted above.
The character's name is "H. Ross Parrot".
There was Tammy Swinnette (Tammy Winnette), Meryl Sheep (Meryl Streep), Desperate Houseplants (Desperate Housewives), and Sergeant Thursday from the original classic Dragnet parody on Sesame.
Rebel L and Born to Add, along with The Ten Commandments of Health are some spoof songs along with Billy Idle who sang Rebel L.
And With a Little Yelp from my Friends also falls into that spoof category, sung by Moe Cocker.
(These are spoofs of Born To Run, The Ten Commandments of Love, With a Little Help from my Friends, and Joe Cocker).

But I have to question if The Addems Family you have listed above was actually seen on Sesame. To my recollection, that was a spoof from Square One Television, also produced by the Children's Television Workshop.
Which is why the greatest Sesame spoof was done on this show, called Carroway Street with two members of their seven-member cast dressed up as Bert and Ernie with these fake noses to boot. The whole thing was so well done, and it was a nice spoof sketch.

Hope this helps, feel free to comb through the Muppet Listings if you want some more spoof characters at least. Oh, and one last addition...
Velma Blank = Velma White.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
A lot of the parodies Sesame Street did were not exact rhymes and were not exact copies of the original tunes, but it was fairly obvious who they were spoofing. Such is the case with Bruce Stringbean's "Born to Add" and The CobbleStones' "I Can't Get No Cooperation" (but they're still incredibly fun songs!)

But "Letter B" by The Beetles is fairly dead-on. And there are a few songs that were performed on the show as they were originally written like-
"Octopus' Garden" and "Yellow Submarine" by The Beatles.

You could definitely also add Super Grover as a parody of Superman.

Nick Normal once played a song about "N" on NTV- a spoof on MTV- not sure if the song's a parody though

And there's also "Wet Paint" and "Danger" by The Moo Wave- those might well be parodies too, but I'm not sure.

But I am sure that "C Drives Me Crazy" by The Fine Young Camels is a parody of "She Drives Me Crazy" by The Fine Young Cannibals.

:smile:

Soul H

Reaction score
I think what How Now Brown and the Moo Wave were paradizing was the music known as new wave.

GonzoLeaper said:
A lot of the parodies Sesame Street did were not exact rhymes and were not exact copies of the original tunes, but it was fairly obvious who they were spoofing. Such is the case with Bruce Stringbean's "Born to Add" and The CobbleStones' "I Can't Get No Cooperation" (but they're still incredibly fun songs!)

But "Letter B" by The Beetles is fairly dead-on. And there are a few songs that were performed on the show as they were originally written like-
"Octopus' Garden" and "Yellow Submarine" by The Beatles.

You could definitely also add Super Grover as a parody of Superman.

Nick Normal once played a song about "N" on NTV- a spoof on MTV- not sure if the song's a parody though

And there's also "Wet Paint" and "Danger" by The Moo Wave- those might well be parodies too, but I'm not sure.

But I am sure that "C Drives Me Crazy" by The Fine Young Camels is a parody of "She Drives Me Crazy" by The Fine Young Cannibals.

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
I remember there was a Monsterpiece Theater skit...

Hold it there's another one for the list there. Monsterpeice Theater hosted by Alistair Cookie is a parody of Masterpiece Theater hosted By Alistiar Cooke. And on that note I remember a similar running skit hosted by Vincent Twice (Vincent Price)...

Anyway, Cookie was trying to show "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" but it kept coming up as the wrong film- all about numbers flying over animal dwellings including a less than successful one...

Pig 1: "Hey can a number four fly?"
Pig 2: "No."
(a number four falls into the mud between them)
Cookie: No that not "One flew over Cuckoo's Nest"! That "Four try to fly over pig pen but fall in mud"! Very messy film.

Finally he showed the right film (A #1 flying over a Cuckoo bird)

Another skit involved a parody of Casablanca in which the Humphry Bogart muppet kept asking Sam to "Play it agian" but instead of "As time Goes by" he played the alphabet. To which HB muppet would say "play it agian Sam" And poor Sam had to play it over and over untill he finally passed out.

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
I remember that one!!!! (although I think it was Edrives me crazy, but I'm not certain so don't quote me on it)

SesameMike

Reaction score
How about "Mariah Cowrey" (Mariah Carey), who sang "Some Hay" (Someday).

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Just reminds me 10 Commandments of Health was a priority of a 1958 song called 10 Commandments of Love done my a doo woop group called The Moonglows.