Muppet Christmas Carol origin

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Originally, the MCC ghosts were going to be Piggy as Christmas Past, Scooter as Christmas Present (which would have been amazing!), and Gonzo as Christmas Yet to Come (which was only decided on for the incredibly cheap sight gag of his 'beak' poking out from under the hood). Sounds good on paper, but would've gotten old really fast. And seriously, the final designs of the ghosts aren't that bad. I find it really hypocritical to consistently dump on the ghosts not being Muppety enough but in the same breath sing the praises of Dark Crystal.
I wish it would have been that, the ghosts in the movie were just pathetic. Before the first ghost of Christmas came in, I was wondering who it would have been, Piggy, Janice? When I saw that ghost I just turned my TV off. (But I have sat through the whole movie though. It was a bit torturous)

Princeton

Reaction score
Having the Muppets play the major parts would have gotten old? Not sure I follow you, unless I'm misunderstanding.
I meant the gag of Gonzo's nose sticking out from the hood.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I meant the gag of Gonzo's nose sticking out from the hood.
Ah OK, yeah I wasn't sure if you were just referring to that or not. Well I mean obviously they would have to have done a bit more than that, like when Gonzo played Dearth Nadir. They did the excepted gag with the nose, but then had him play his full character. They would have had to do this in MCC as well.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
My main beef with MCC in a nutshell is that the Muppets take a backseat to the story, with only Gonzo, Rizzo, and Kermit having anything approaching a major role, while in MTI every major Muppet is given a good role, and even Sam the Eagle plays a major part, something he's never before had in a Muppet film. For me, MCC is little more than a snorefest.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally, the MCC ghosts were going to be Piggy as Christmas Past, Scooter as Christmas Present (which would have been amazing!), and Gonzo as Christmas Yet to Come (which was only decided on for the incredibly cheap sight gag of his 'beak' poking out from under the hood). Sounds good on paper, but would've gotten old really fast. And seriously, the final designs of the ghosts aren't that bad. I find it really hypocritical to consistently dump on the ghosts not being Muppety enough but in the same breath sing the praises of Dark Crystal.
It's not that I don't like the ghosts they had (but I LOOOOVE The Christmas Present Ghost), it's just that they're played straight doesn't help the fact the movie lacked a certain level of fun. Not saying there weren't great, funny, Muppety moments... they were too few and far between.

Of course, it is a shame Richard passed on before this film was made. If only they had him as Scrooge's nephew... he would have been brilliant there.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Of course, it is a shame Richard passed on before this film was made. If only they had him as Scrooge's nephew... he would have been brilliant there.
For that matter, if they were going to try and be accurate to the book I could see Richard playing a Jacob Marley kind of character; he kind of specialized in bad boy roles, lol.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
For that matter, if they were going to try and be accurate to the book I could see Richard playing a Jacob Marley kind of character; he kind of specialized in bad boy roles, lol.
I read somewhere, (maybe Muppet Wiki) that Richard Hunt had a cameo in The Muppet Movie. Is this true? Becuase the Disney re-release defiantley didn't have that scene.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I read somewhere, (maybe Muppet Wiki) that Richard Hunt had a cameo in The Muppet Movie. Is this true? Becuase the Disney re-release defiantley didn't have that scene.
Apparently Richard and Jerry are somewhere in the El Sleezo scene but as far as I know, no one has been able to find them as of yet.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Apparently Richard and Jerry are somewhere in the El Sleezo scene but as far as I know, no one has been able to find them as of yet.
Was there originally a scene in the movie where a guy on a motorcycle grabs Fozzie?
I kinda remeber reading about this somewhere, then again, .....it could have been a dream.......:confused:

frogtownhollow

Reaction score
Frank Oz was the biker guy at the El Sleezo who grabbed Fozzie, Richard Hunt was in GMC as a cab driver